Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What options exist for hiding the giant screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering a Model X, when I looked at the Model S back in 2015 there wasn't a way to turn off the main screen. Basically, I don't want to see it on at night. Back in 2015 the best they could offer me was a cleaning mode to switch it mostly black. But then it had the words Cleaning Mode displayed. That was also several menus deep and wasn't a one button press kind of thing. Has anything changed?

Is there a setting to turn off the screen?

Considering a Model X, when I looked at the Model S back in 2015 there wasn't a way to turn off the main screen. Basically, I don't want to see it on at night. Back in 2015 the best they could offer me was a cleaning mode to switch it mostly black. But then it had the words Cleaning Mode displayed. That was also several menus deep and wasn't a one button press kind of thing. Has anything changed?

Is there a setting to turn off the screen?

What a dealbreaker

I guarantee you'll be fine with the screen on low brightness driving around. And after the first week, you'll turn the brightness up yourself :p

I tried the night mode and lowest brightness setting on my day time test drive the other day. It was ok - livable I suppose. But mainly its night driving I'm worried about. Been looking to see if anyone sells any screen covers or something like that but I haven't found anything. Guessing I could have something made. Maybe magnets could hold it in place? Surely I can't be the only one who prefers total darkness while driving at night.

It would seem so easy for Tesla to make a soft button to toggle off the screen. I've never understood why they haven't provided the option after all these years. I can't think of any reason why they couldn't do it on the current S and X screens.

Considering a Model X, when I looked at the Model S back in 2015 there wasn't a way to turn off the main screen. Basically, I don't want to see it on at night.
I’m interested to know why you want to turn off the center display at night.
Surely I can't be the only one who prefers total darkness while driving at night.
I’ve been reading TMC since 2013 and your post is the first time I have seen such a request.

• Funny
Reactions: K3Man and P85_DA
I’ve been reading TMC since 2013 and your post is the first time I have seen such a request.

My too but it has come up from time to time. While driving, some people just have high stray-light sensitivity at night (my dad was like this). Then the same issue has come up with respect to night camping and celestial observation (I’ve done this myself with open pano roof and locations with no light pollution). Most people used a towel or blanket to cover the screen. I used to have a photo of the anchoring arrangement but can’t find it at the moment. Here’s another great application for blacking out the screen in this 2013 thread started by TMC veteran @neroden: Drive-in problems (and solution)