Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Options to Look for in a Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been patiently looking for a used Model S for 2 years now. Well, I really should say that I have been researching used S's and waiting for the price to fall into what I'm willing to spend on a vehicle. With that said, the prices are finally getting to the point where I can get serious with my search. And, the good thing is, spending 2 years reviewing EVERY single Model S for sale on TMC, Autotrader, and ebay has taught me a lot about which VIN #s I want to be in, which options I THINK I want, and what would be a good price.

With that said, looking at cars and reading about them can only get you so far. I am a VERY patient person and want to find the right car for a reasonable/fair price (will have to either be a CPO or one that has the extended warranty also). So, here is what I am thinking at this moment.

Here are the options I must have: Tech Package, Smart Air Suspension, Twin (dual) Chargers, Parking Sensors, 85 or above battery (need all the range I can get).

Options I'd like to have: Panoramic Roof, upgraded Leather Seats, 19" Slipstream Wheels

Any other option is just gravy in my mind and I wouldn't mind having any of the others, but I don't want to pay for them (ie, the performance package is nice, but the P85's bring more money than the regular 85).

I live in the South where it is hot and flat, and really NEVER cold. So, I don't NEED AWD, but of course I'd take it.

So finally, to my question. For the Model S owners out there, which options do you think are MUST-HAVE? I know that a base Model S with only the Tech package is a good car. But I guess I mean if you are going to invest this much in a car, which options are the ones that you'd be stupid NOT to get if possible. Or maybe I should say, you couldn't live without.

Basically, if you were a cheapskate like me and simply refuse to spend a fortune on a car, which options give you the most bang for the buck?

PS. This is the first car I've ever WANTED. I normally buy vehicles based on need and utility. For example, my 2 kids are now basically grown and don't really want to go places with us very much anymore so I don't think I need my minivan any longer. No, I don't like mini vans, but for traveling, I don't care what anyone says, you can't get any more comfortable other than buying a BIGGER van.

I think you've pretty much nailed it. Range, tech and parking sensors are the must-haves in that model.
I'd skip AWD if it doesn't snow where you are.
Pano roof is nice, makes the car a bit more airy and gives a bit more headroom. Also must have it if you want roof racks.

Twin chargers are needed if you will be making pit stops at home and need a quick fill. Think Uber driver. That also implies you will be putting major miles on the car, so smart to buy CPO with big hit already taken.

Since you need SAS you must have some driveway issues, or you drive over a lot of speed bumps. I haven't found another benefit to SAS.

For my S85 I considered tech package and parking sensors as the must have options. And my wife wanted red. I was perfectly content with those options and if it had AP1.0 I'd still be driving it for years to come. I also had leather but for me it wasn't must-have. I never used sub-zero features, even in Wisconsin.

Since you need SAS you must have some driveway issues, or you drive over a lot of speed bumps. I haven't found another benefit to SAS.

Are you saying that is the only thing SAS is good for? I thought it made the ride better and also adjusted the ride height based on what kind of driving you were doing - ie, when driving on the interstate, it lowers the car for better range? Also, I was hoping to have the car go to its highest point when it stops so that it would be a little easier for me to get in and out of. Coming from a long line of trucks and now this minivan, I have a hard time getting in my wife's go-kart (Ford Fusion). I almost have to fall down into the seat. And, I'm not especially tall, nor am I overweight. I just hate getting into low cars after driving trucks and this van where you just step right in.

By mid 2014 many items were standard or included with the tech package. Folding mirrors, navigation, for example. Cars made after September 2014 generally have AP1 which is probably worth waiting for.

My strategy is to buy an S without AP for now since the price of the pre-AP cars is considerably lower. And drive it for 3-4 years, and by then, AP2 will be tried and proven and I can either get a 3 or 4 year old one then, or possibly bite the bullet and get a new one. I want to wade in the Tesla pool a little before I jump in. I'm thinking a late 2013 or early to mid 2014 (well, all the way to when AP was installed) would be good for me. I often see people with those for sale that have had a new battery installed in the last year or so - that would be really good for eliminating a couple of years of battery degradation.

Thoughts?

Can anyone clarify if you can buy extended warranty on a CPO vehicle? The prices on CPOs MY 13/14 are great but I get worried thinking what will happen when its out of the CPO warranty and things like the screen,door handles, SAS could have issues, it would be a pretty penny out of pocket I'm guessing.

Are you saying that is the only thing SAS is good for? I thought it made the ride better and also adjusted the ride height based on what kind of driving you were doing - ie, when driving on the interstate, it lowers the car for better range? Also, I was hoping to have the car go to its highest point when it stops so that it would be a little easier for me to get in and out of. Coming from a long line of trucks and now this minivan, I have a hard time getting in my wife's go-kart (Ford Fusion). I almost have to fall down into the seat. And, I'm not especially tall, nor am I overweight. I just hate getting into low cars after driving trucks and this van where you just step right in.

Others have reported better handling with SAS. It does lower the car on the highway but I haven't driven it enough to see if the mileage is better. You can raise or lower it about an inch compared to the coil. To me the differences don't justify $2500. Maybe it's worth it to others.

My strategy is to buy an S without AP for now since the price of the pre-AP cars is considerably lower. And drive it for 3-4 years, and by then, AP2 will be tried and proven and I can either get a 3 or 4 year old one then, or possibly bite the bullet and get a new one. I want to wade in the Tesla pool a little before I jump in. I'm thinking a late 2013 or early to mid 2014 (well, all the way to when AP was installed) would be good for me. I often see people with those for sale that have had a new battery installed in the last year or so - that would be really good for eliminating a couple of years of battery degradation.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a good idea.
I have AP1 and it's nice on the freeway, but is certainly not fully autonomous. If you can save enough by skipping it, that may be worthwhile. On the other hand, you might find little price difference between AP and non-AP cars.

I've read plenty of threads of people with SAS not noticing a difference when driving non-SAS loaners.
BUT! There have been many times I would have liked the ability to raise my car. There is a nice beach near here which has an access road with speed humps that 'just' scrape the underside of my car. There are a few other places I've had to avoid (even a certain shopping centre on-ramp) because the car was a bit too low.

I've read plenty of threads of people with SAS not noticing a difference when driving non-SAS loaners.
BUT! There have been many times I would have liked the ability to raise my car. There is a nice beach near here which has an access road with speed humps that 'just' scrape the underside of my car. There are a few other places I've had to avoid (even a certain shopping centre on-ramp) because the car was a bit too low.

Good points. Now that I have SAS I have to make sure I don't have it set too low for a couple places I go that were marginal with coils. Set it to max and not sweat it.