Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What part(s) of your Model 3 are unpainted from the factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's robots open the doors when painting as well:

From what I have seen the bath you see the body in white going through is an anti-corrosion coating bath. From: Rust proofing? Rust warranty?

Tesla is not shortchanging the Model 3 compared to the S or the X when it comes to applying anti-corrosion treatment to the entire body-in-white (the steel frame, the doors, the hood and the trunk lid). I remember being present at a competitive analysis tech gathering shortly after mass release of the Model 3, where it was discussed that at the Tesla paint shop, the entire body-in-white (whether it's a Model 3 or a Model S/X) is submerged in an anti-corrosion treatment bath to achieve a 20 microns layer of electro-coating solution.

Good info.

Tesla is just being lazy and cutting corners.

I don’t think Tesla appreciates how entire nations of perfectionists like Germans will react to this kind of sloppy work.
And some Tesla fans hope the Germans use the same perfection they used to make their diesel motors so clean.:cool:
Sadly, they are actually fining Audi almost a billion dollars (or is it Euros?)for diesel lies and dirty engines. Bad German government.

Wow this is not good. Even if it is Aluminum, some alloys can actually corrode fairly easily so that's not really great reasoning.

I really hope they thought this was OK because of the corrosion bath, i'm fairly certain they aren't skipping that since it's not really hard to get right and likely isn't a bottleneck.

Wow this is not good. Even if it is Aluminum, some alloys can actually corrode fairly easily so that's not really great reasoning.

I really hope they thought this was OK because of the corrosion bath, i'm fairly certain they aren't skipping that since it's not really hard to get right and likely isn't a bottleneck.

If they aren’t skipping it then their robots or the guys who program them suck.

Does the outside of the car look good?? Does it drive good? Is this going to affect us in any way at all in the future if all cars from tesla are like this?

I think we are good here guys, I bought an original model s in 2013 and than again in 14 and 16 and now. Each car was so much better then the last it’s hard to describe. We should all be lucky and thanking god we don’t have a founders model x.....

I thought that the entire car was submerged in a primer/corrosion preventer before it is painted. So it shouldn't be bare metal.

Can any one confirm this? I remember watching a Tesla factory video that showed that the corrosion protection is also sprayed on instead of being applied in a bath. I remember thinking spraying would not provide 100% coverage like a bath would.

So for investigative and information sharing purposes I took pictures and shared them.

While annoying, I can say the Model 3 is the most bad ass sports sedan I have ever owned and the Model X is the most bad ass people hauler I have ever owned.

No way would I get a BMW M3, Audi RS3 or Mercedes C63 AMG no matter how good the paint job is.

With that said, I hope my next Tesla won’t have these paint issues.

Reactions: shanedn
Take a look at the underside of my trunk on the left hand side. Supposedly they will send my car into the body shop to correct this. It’s pretty noticeable since my car is white. I also have some areas where the paint was scratched off probably due to rushed assembly... e.g., a small spot under the tail light, or where the bumper and the car body connect.

Attachments

• 2000AADD-AE52-40E4-A2F6-9E53FAA03202.jpeg
    2000AADD-AE52-40E4-A2F6-9E53FAA03202.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 191
Love how folks always ask for pictures. As everyone is making stuff up all the time. Why cant TESLA hire some experienced painting folks or companies to get this perfect. Its not new technology. Especially given each car is the same shape. For a software company why cant they program the robots like other companies can?

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja
Take a look at the underside of my trunk on the left hand side. Supposedly they will send my car into the body shop to correct this. It’s pretty noticeable since my car is white. I also have some areas where the paint was scratched off probably due to rushed assembly... e.g., a small spot under the tail light, or where the bumper and the car body connect.
suggest you don't show people the underside of your truck :eek: