Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my MYP in August 2023, so I used the defaults for months. I think it started at 90% for a bit and then dropped to 80% with my first software update. I started charging at 9pm for a better rate. Eventually I dropped the limit to 75% (could easily go lower) and started the charging later, at 11pm. That to put a bit less stress on it. I drive it 4-5 days a week, typically under 100 miles/day. I have the Tesla wall charger running at 48 amps, and if I want to top up to 90% or more for a long trip I can easily do that over breakfast.
From what I have read here, 70, 80 or 90% isn't really much (if any) better than 100% for calendar aging. But if you need the charge for your everyday commute, then there isn't much you can do about it, except charging as late as possible (right before you leave, ideally).
The real benefit seems to come in when you can keep the SOC at or below 55% most of the time.

I think there is a significant difference between 70 and 100% especially for the non LFP battery and likely also for the LFP battery for calendar ageing.

Especially hot and high conditions.

Not too much of a difference according to this graph frequently posted by @AAKEE

1708808644335.png

50 degrees C is probably not very common for a long term storage temp, as that's 122 degrees F. Even 40C sound too high as an average assumption for most (=104 deg F), so I am mainly looking at the top lines in blue. There is some difference for the LFP between 70 and 100%, but little for the NCA. And @phxazcraig (who I had responded to) has an MYP.
The M3LR, M3P, MYLR & MYP all are using the NCA sells, right?

Reactions: AAKEE
I think there is a significant difference between 70 and 100% especially for the non LFP battery and likely also for the LFP battery for calendar ageing.

@flixden already nailed it.

Adding e few pics from research reports:

Panasonic NCR18650, very very close to Tesla model S cells:
IMG_7592.jpeg

Even closer, actual Tesla model S cells, taken from a almost new model S: (the text can be a little strange, but these cells where used for calendar aging tests at the same time as they cycled other cells in two different shemes, this was if I remember after about 6 months of calendar aging ( I calculated the time it would take to perform the cyclic tests)
IMG_2969.jpeg

Thius picture covers all three most common chemistries. The test covers 5% resulotion in the interresting regions. There is a dashed vertical line which represents the central graphite peak, where the switch from high to low calendar aging happens when going from high to lower SOC. The curve of the calednar aging is reproduced in several other research and also many reports that has lower resolution match these curves very well for the tested SOC’s even if the research reports wrongly has drawn lines straight between a few tested points.
The test in the picture above only presents the actual data with no ”faulty” lines between ( very good).
IMG_1549.png

As Teslas normally use a buffer of 4.5% below 0 displayed, the 57% for NCA is the same as 55% displayed. 55% is on the good side.
For NMC it is 62%, so 60% or below is ”good” and for LFP the 72% makes 70% or below good.

• Informative
Reactions: DrChaos
Agreed, as you and Dr Chaos mention, I have that feeling too.
I did’nt write that after about one year with the first car I was not longer ”not sure”. The match was too good and the car followed the estimation perfectly (after I had actual data of average SOC and cell temp).

Initially, there was many people in this forum refering to ”battery lottery” and that I probably was very lucky, getting a better battery than about almost anyone else. :) It was not a easy argument to counter at that time.

I can see on my new car that I’m very lucky with the battery lottery this time as well :rolleyes:
Not only lucky with that, this battery also follows the sum of the research data.

A fun note is that I know many people (collegues etc) that bought a Tesla and also bought my battery talk, and every single one of these also has been very lucky with the battery lottery :) (Do I need to say that they all use the low SOC strategy).

Well when I was sure enough I started to use the formulas on other cars on this forum and it mainly comes very close to the cars degradation seen from the range or energy graph calc. The hardest thing to judge is the average battery temp. The sum of the research data makes a good hit both for low SOC:ers and the 80-90% people.

So it’s safe to say that your, Dr Chaos and my feeling is more than a feeling ;)

The sum of the research data makes a good hit both for low SOC:ers and the 80-90% people.
Is there any data yet that low SOC:ers using LFP are seeing better degradation seen from the range or energy graph calc? I did see a discussion a while ago that the LFP displayed range may be purely a Tesla-designed calendar based degradation formula, so low SOC:ing will not even show up in data - even though it may still be working to reduce degradation.

I can see on my new car that I’m very lucky with the battery lottery this time as well :rolleyes:

For sure, I am less lucky than you. '22 MSLR treated with all possible precautions, yet never saw more than 406 miles RR, now at 388 ish 92.5 or .6 NFP after 21 months and 12k miles.

I'm going to stop worrying about it and hope it fails under warranty. With the Palladium Pack, rebuild is unlikely, so they will probably give me a new one.

For sure, I am less lucky than you. '22 MSLR treated with all possible precautions, yet never saw more than 406 miles RR, now at 388 ish 92.5 or .6 NFP after 21 months and 12k miles.

I'm going to stop worrying about it and hope it fails under warranty. With the Palladium Pack, rebuild is unlikely, so they will probably give me a new one.
We need to dig into your cars battery. You had SMT screens somewhere around?

2022 M3P, 24 months old, 23k miles and I’m down to 307 from 315 when new.

Daily charge to 53% for commuting and to 60-75% occasionally when I need to drive further.
We have irrefutable evidence that indicates never to charge to 53%. In fact, all 2024 Tesla models go from 52% straight to 54%. Like skyscrapers that just leave a blank space where floor 13 goes.........

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba
We need to dig into your cars battery. You had SMT screens somewhere around?
Yes, have SMT for some months now, but it tracks Teslafi pretty well. Now pack is stable at 92.5 to.6 NFP, with delta V .005 to.008. CAC does not work on SMT with the MS refresh, Amund is working it.

All was well until December, see below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231220-091249.png
    Screenshot_20231220-091249.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 9
With solar panels and a dynamic electricity tariff (changing every hour following the day-ahead market), I just charge my car when it’s cheapest to do so, making sure that on a weekly basis the car gets charged to 100% (LFP battery). With the LFP I’m not worried at all about degradation.

For example, last week I did not charge for 3 days, because I noticed a lot of wind was expected for Thursday night, allowing me to charge 25 kWh for free (excluding fixed costs) during that night.

Reactions: aerodyne
Yes, have SMT for some months now, but it tracks Teslafi pretty well. Now pack is stable at 92.5 to.6 NFP, with delta V .005 to.008. CAC does not work on SMT with the MS refresh, Amund is working it.

All was well until December, see below.
I do not remember the charging schedule you use.
Do you ever charge more for trips etc?

Yes, teslafi and NFP track quite well since the battery capacity goes below the degradation threshold.

Teslafi range jumps around quite much and is mostly ~5km lower than the teslalogger number and the displayed range when charging full.
Teslafi only get the SOC rounded to whole numbers, which I guess explains it.

@flixden already nailed it.

Adding e few pics from research reports:

Panasonic NCR18650, very very close to Tesla model S cells:
View attachment 1021492

Even closer, actual Tesla model S cells, taken from a almost new model S: (the text can be a little strange, but these cells where used for calendar aging tests at the same time as they cycled other cells in two different shemes, this was if I remember after about 6 months of calendar aging ( I calculated the time it would take to perform the cyclic tests)
View attachment 1021494

Thius picture covers all three most common chemistries. The test covers 5% resulotion in the interresting regions. There is a dashed vertical line which represents the central graphite peak, where the switch from high to low calendar aging happens when going from high to lower SOC. The curve of the calednar aging is reproduced in several other research and also many reports that has lower resolution match these curves very well for the tested SOC’s even if the research reports wrongly has drawn lines straight between a few tested points.
The test in the picture above only presents the actual data with no ”faulty” lines between ( very good).
View attachment 1021498

As Teslas normally use a buffer of 4.5% below 0 displayed, the 57% for NCA is the same as 55% displayed. 55% is on the good side.
For NMC it is 62%, so 60% or below is ”good” and for LFP the 72% makes 70% or below good.
I have the NCMA battery. I NEVER need more than 50% for daily use. 50 to 25% is a big day for me. Right now I am charging late at night to 50%. Since I am always under 60%, is there any downside to just plugging in and charging whenever I get home? The car will sit at 50% for longer but looking at the graph it appears there isn’t much difference between constant 25 and 50%.

If it’s really hot in the summer I’ll charge at night. Thanks (my electric rate is the same all day).

Not too much of a difference
The graphs show a significant difference between 70% and 100% especially in high ambient temps (maybe not between 70 and 80/90%).
Rather than 25C, a better temp for comparison would be 40C - in summer. Unfortunately thats not used in the experiment.
Generally the operating temp of my MYLR is about 35-45C. Overnight 25-30C in summer.

If the car was in Canada, Scandinavia or maybe even northern USA, high SoC no problems. But here in Australia.....

I believe they are LG sourced N₈₅M₅C₅A₅

Last edited:
The M3LR, M3P, MYLR & MYP all are using the NCA sells, right?
Panasonic NCA for Fremont built Model Y LR/P until present and Model 3 LR/P until ~mid 2023 production

LG NMCA for Fremont built Model 3 LR from 2023 to present.

LG NMC previously and now NMCA (late 2022 or early 2023?) for all Shanghai and Berlin built LR/P cars

CATL LFP for Shanghai 3/Y RWD and Fremont 3 RWD (since approx late 2021?)

BYD “Blade” LFP structural pack for Berlin Y RWD

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life