Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should be 80% SOC is only 68%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just don't get why so many Model 3 owners obsess over the battery, much more than early Model S owners did, especially since we have lots of experience now from the Model S over the past five or six years that how you charge (within reason) just doesn't have a meaninfgul impact on battery degradation.

IMO, degradation has more to do with supercharging rates than rated miles lost. I do care a lot more if my car supercharges significantly slower compared to if it just lost a couple miles of range every year.

Or you could just run the re-calibrate yourself and perhaps skip a service center visit if that fixes it.

I am charging up to 90% tonight and will try to re-calibrate before the appointment. If it doesn’t work then I have the appointment as backup. I have a road trip coming up next week and would like this fixed before then so hopefully the service center helps me out and provides some additional info.

Update-

-I had a service center appointment for Wednesday afternoon for Tesla to fix the issue.
-They then called me and told me they are going to cancel the appointment because they can fix it remotely.
-They then called me back a few hours later and said they have to fix it in-person, so rescheduled the appointment for Thursday.

The good news is that they said it won't take more than a couple hours to hard reset whatever is reading the battery level. I will report back after I get my car back most likely on Friday.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I just don't get why so many Model 3 owners obsess over the battery, much more than early Model S owners did, especially since we have lots of experience now from the Model S over the past five or six years that how you charge (within reason) just doesn't have a meaninfgul impact on battery degradation.
The same anxiety manifested itself on TMC in the early years of Model S production and throughout the years of Roadster production (though with the Roadster cells there was more real capacity loss) . There are many threads endlessly discussing battery charge levels and charging strategies.

Yes, the Model 3 uses a different cell than the S/X, but they are very similar. There is now enough data on thousands of high mileage Teslas to know that, in general:

— Initially, in the first year or so, the cells lose about 1-2% of their capacity

— After that the cells lose capacity more slowly, generally less than 1% a year

— Capacity loss is slightly accelerated by regular charging to 100% or very close to it

— Regular charging to 80 or 90% won’t result in greater capacity loss than regular charging to 60 to 70%, so don’t worry about it.

You can see capacity loss data here Battery Survey « Plug In America

There is the most data on the Model S. For example, here is data on over 500 vehicles Battery Survey « Plug In America

Obviously there is not yet much data, and no real long term data, on the Model 3.

For an extreme example of a high mileage Tesla that had just 6% capacity loss over 194,000 miles when it was Supercharged multiple times every day to 100% or very close to it, see this article Tales from a Tesla Model S that hit 400,000 miles in 3 years

Yes, I know that is a Model S. But again, the battery chemistry is very similar to the Model 3. And after a decade of producing EVs and building battery packs, Tesla has learned a lot about managing EV batteries and they have put all that knowledge into the Model 3.

My approach over the past 5 years of owning Teslas is: charge to 95 to 100% only when I need to (which is occasionally), routinely charge to 70 to 80%, don’t worry about the battery, and drive and enjoy my cars!

You can see capacity loss data here Battery Survey « Plug In America

There is the most data on the Model S. For example, here is data on over 500 vehicles Battery Survey « Plug In America

Obviously there is not yet much data, and no real long term data, on the Model 3.
Remember that these surveys are solely based on the rated range displayed by the car. This is just an estimate and may even change between firmware versions (e.g. firmware 42.x bumped the rated range significantly for many Model 3 owners), so it may or may not be an accurate measure of the actual battery health.

There is a ton of research on the aging of batteries with lithium chemistries, and experts like Jeff Dahn have stated that keeping the battery in a moderate SoC is best for longevity.
My approach over the past 5 years of owning Teslas is: charge to 95 to 100% only when I need to (which is occasionally), routinely charge to 70 to 80%, don’t worry about the battery, and drive and enjoy my cars!
Uhm, yeah, but isn't that exactly what most people here are advocating? :p

Besides, for me personally charging to 70% causes no inconvenience at all. That's about 215 miles of range, which is more than enough for my daily use and any unexpected errands. And if need be, there are plenty of superchargers around here ...

Last edited:
I just stay within a band of 30-70% SOC when practical but I am not at all afraid to use 0%-100% when traveling long distance.

My day to day driving is about 35 miles and so having 70% as my charge limit imposes no inconvenience whatsoever.

I just stay within a band of 30-70% SOC when practical but I am not at all afraid to use 0%-100% when traveling long distance.

My day to day driving is about 35 miles and so having 70% as my charge limit imposes no inconvenience whatsoever.

I completely agree, that is exactly what I did as well. But now Tesla has to reset whatever is reading my battery because my car thinks it has about 40 miles less range than it actually has. So bizarre.

I completely agree, that is exactly what I did as well. But now Tesla has to reset whatever is reading my battery because my car thinks it has about 40 miles less range than it actually has. So bizarre.

My gut says this is a software bug and the pack remains well balanced even at 70% daily charging but time will tell.

I have not seen the wild swing you have but I charge to 90% or above at least twice a month as a matter of necessity so I might be unintentionally resolving this issue with my use case.

Reactions: lupend88
Update- took my car into Tesla and they did a hard reset, fixed the entire thing in about 30 min.

The interesting bit is that, similar to YouTuber "LikeTesla", Tesla suggested that I charge to 90% every night now, which seems to contradict what Elon has mentioned before.

Thanks everyone for following this journey with me, glad it was a simple fix and nothing wrong with my battery :)

I do not think anybody's batteries are degrading. The display of miles remaining is calculated by a complicated algorithm. Cold weather has a big increase in wh/mile which affects the algorithm. I haven't seen a report of any M3 that shut done with miles remaining. After driving on an interstate at 260 wh/m and level 2 charging at home to any %, after I drive a little I've seen the miles remaining go UP. My lifetime in a small town in FL is 220 wh/m. The calculation looks at history, how much energy was put in, temperature, voltage, etc. Predicting the range of a battery is like herding cats. The miles remaining should get more accurate as the battery gets close to full discharge. I had a Ford Fusion Hybrid with a distance to empty reading. Sometimes when the driving mode changed when the fuel was low I'd see a 50% difference between the miles actually driven and the miles showing on the gauge as the algorithm tried to catch up to real life. My car has about 6K miles on it, has been supercharged 4 times, been charged to 100% about 3 times, is usually charged to 70-80% and has no observable degradation. My wh/m in S. FL is pretty steady so that's why the algorithm prediction is steady. Don't worry about this and just charge higher and more often in the winter. New owners of even ICE cars are alarmed by the increased energy usage that winter brings. The Ford hybrid forums were always full of "what happened to my mileage" starting in Sept.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
I do not think anybody's batteries are degrading. The display of miles remaining is calculated by a complicated algorithm. Cold weather has a big increase in wh/mile which affects the algorithm. I haven't seen a report of any M3 that shut done with miles remaining. After driving on an interstate at 260 wh/m and level 2 charging at home to any %, after I drive a little I've seen the miles remaining go UP. My lifetime in a small town in FL is 220 wh/m. The calculation looks at history, how much energy was put in, temperature, voltage, etc. Predicting the range of a battery is like herding cats. The miles remaining should get more accurate as the battery gets close to full discharge. I had a Ford Fusion Hybrid with a distance to empty reading. Sometimes when the driving mode changed when the fuel was low I'd see a 50% difference between the miles actually driven and the miles showing on the gauge as the algorithm tried to catch up to real life. My car has about 6K miles on it, has been supercharged 4 times, been charged to 100% about 3 times, is usually charged to 70-80% and has no observable degradation. My wh/m in S. FL is pretty steady so that's why the algorithm prediction is steady. Don't worry about this and just charge higher and more often in the winter. New owners of even ICE cars are alarmed by the increased energy usage that winter brings. The Ford hybrid forums were always full of "what happened to my mileage" starting in Sept.
No, the battery meter display is rated range. How many times do we have to go through this? There is no algorithm related to past driving— that’s the projected range in the energy app, not the rated range of the battery meter. The algorithm you see people referring to is estimating state of charge, as it can’t be measured directly.

Reactions: Falkirk and tomas
Looks like there is a trade off. If you constantly stay in the middle range, your cells get out of balance quicker. I used to charge to 70-75% and not let it drop lower than 40%. My range did drop. I did a cycle of 93% to 30% and it appears to recovered a little bit. I'm not going to fret about it and plan to charge to 80% and let it drop to 30% before charging again. I'll do a deep cycle on my next road trip this Xmas.

There is someone on reddit that just posted his max range is 310 miles after 25k miles driven. He said he charges to 90%.

Constantly triggering the rebalance is not answer either. The BMS discharges the battery to balance the cells. This is when users freak out about Vampire drain.
Sigh... someone needs to write the authoritative wiki on this stuff. Your 93 to 30 to 80 is not balancing. It is recalibrating the calculation.

Reactions: TexasEV
Sigh... someone needs to write the authoritative wiki on this stuff. Your 93 to 30 to 80 is not balancing. It is recalibrating the calculation.
Yes, wouldn't it be nice if TESLA actually answered these questions, and established an informational website to detail all these technical issues rather than leaving it to the community to try to figure out, and ruminate over, and over, and over...