Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2023 Model Y LR, on the other hand, specifically encourages charging to 80% for daily driving. There is no range - 80% is what they recommend.
Tesla could be more detailed (as before) with the information.

The 80% that was changed from ”below 90%” is a upper limit but it might not look like that.
If you set any charging level below the lowest (50%) and 80% you do not get the information ”80% recommended for daily”

The 2023 LR does not have any other chemistry.

Using 80% for daily will not break the battery but it will not give you the lowest degradation either.
Anyone fine with having the standard 5% the first year and 10% after four years or so could use 80% and live happily ever after.

At the end of the day, really this is what matters. For most owners, the battery won't be a problem as you will likely trade-in or sell before degradation really becomes any sort of serious issue.
Yes and no. There are companies now coming up with standardized ways to measure battery degradation in order to properly value used EVs.

Just like a high mileage and/or abused ICE vehicle is worth less, so could an EV with worse battery degradation. Mileage alone may not be a good indicator of the condition of an EV and its battery.

If we still simply use the information from the study that is being used as the basis of the calendar aging statements as unquestionably valid, in any case the difference between 55% and 80% SoC for calendar aging at 25C is about ~2%? Not sure that's enough to make a real world difference to me. Besides I like my acceleration just where it is 🤩.

1699357551893.png

If we still simply use the information from the study that is being used as the basis of the calendar aging statements as unquestionably valid, in any case the difference between 55% and 80% SoC for calendar aging at 25C is about ~2%? Not sure that's enough to make a real world difference to me. Besides I like my acceleration just where it is 🤩.

View attachment 988591

Calendar aging is lessening with (the square root of) time, that is only for the first ten months.

If you see it as a 2% only reduction, I offer you another way of looking at it:
For 25C temperature, you will have 2.5% calendar aging instead of 5% for the first 10 months. That means that the calendar aging has been cut in half.
So, the 80% SOC-5% line would at 20% after 16 years, but the 30-55% SOC 2.5% line would be at 10% after 16 years.
Or, 10% after four years versus 5% after four years.

For real world difference in high vs low SOC read the answer below to E90alex.

There is also a lot of research showing that the worst calendar aging is at about SOC = 80%.
Here, cells from a actual model S:
IMG_2969.jpeg

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with using the max recommended daily chargiong level and the argument ”power” is absolutely a valid one.
I did charge my M3P to 55% daily, but I always charged with the max AC power 11kW (230V 16A 3 phase, so equivalndet to L2 48A I guess), and as I always charge late and have the car in the garage the cell temp would be about 30C at the beginning of the drive, giving the car decent power. After it had been parked oputside in the cold winter and driving home arriving at 30% ish, not that much power though.

I changed car to a S Plaid, still charging to 55% but this car can manage the hills even at 55% :)

Yes and no. There are companies now coming up with standardized ways to measure battery degradation in order to properly value used EVs.

Just like a high mileage and/or abused ICE vehicle is worth less, so could an EV with worse battery degradation. Mileage alone may not be a good indicator of the condition of an EV and its battery.

Yes, I sold my M3P to a company that does business with EV’s only which do battery test all the EV’s.

My 2.5 year old M3P was a early 82.1klWh / 2170L barttery pack car. It had 66K km on the ODO when I sold it.

This company checked my car to 78kWh battery capacity, thats 5% from the 82.1kWh new value, but as more or less no of these batteries reach 82kWh and often start at 80.5kWh the degradation was quite low (492km out of 507km at the latest full charge).

The company (Carla.se) had 4 other cars with the same battery at the same time as mine. Most of them was one year newer and no of the cars had the same ODO number as mine. Mostly about half the miles or less. The degradation test of these cars showed 9-13%.
I now that many here on TMC that saw my low degradation pictures did think most of the difference came from the cold climat we live in here in Sweden but if that was the case I think the other cars would be at 5% as well.
So, my car had half the degradation despite about the double miles driven.(Yes, the miles doesnt matter that much.)
IMG_5899.jpeg

Interresting enough my M3P was still at Carla for a quite long time. The other cars with the same battery and low miles was sold much faster. Maybe multicoat red is not as popular in sweden (not a common color on the M3), otherwise the car was more or less like new. Very well taken care of, so my guess is that people did look At the ODO number and not at the battery degradation report.

Of course, these are still quite new cars and it doesnt matter that much the first 8 years or so, but I guess the world will change about his and the battery health will be more important when we start to se more old cars where the battery breaks down.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I would charge to 80% and not worry about it. Charge to 100% for trips when it makes sense to do so.

Have an 11 year old battery charging to 90% for many years and still doing fine.

The car is a tool for me to use. I charge what I need and let the chips on degradation fall where they may. I have enough to keep my mind occupied and charging limits is not one of them.

I have a referesh Model S since June 2021. 94k miles on it and only about 7% degradation. Charge to 80-90% every night and up to 100% maybe once per month.

Reactions: dsm363
I am just going to throw this in here for thought, since there seems to be some resistance to the 55% target.

The first year all of my regular home charging for my now 2 year old car was to 80%, and that's the state my battery was in a large percentage of the time.

About half of my miles are highway, and I often charge to 80% or more when I am travelling (because DC chargers are anomalies in Idaho with rare exception).

About a year ago, I saw my range estimate in TeslaFi drop significantly below the fleet average. You can see that in the graph. That's when I began reading this thread and changed my charging habits. At home I charge daily to 55%. You can see what has happened to my range estimate compared to the rest of the fleet. The blue line is my car. Green is fleet average. I am impressed.

1699368001435.png

YMMV, of course, but I think it makes a good visual.

Reactions: weareborg and AAKEE
I am just going to throw this in here for thought, since there seems to be some resistance to the 55% target.

The first year all of my regular home charging for my now 2 year old car was to 80%, and that's the state my battery was in a large percentage of the time.

About half of my miles are highway, and I often charge to 80% or more when I am travelling (because DC chargers are anomalies in Idaho with rare exception).

About a year ago, I saw my range estimate in TeslaFi drop significantly below the fleet average. You can see that in the graph. That's when I began reading this thread and changed my charging habits. At home I charge daily to 55%. You can see what has happened to my range estimate compared to the rest of the fleet. The blue line is my car. Green is fleet average. I am impressed.

View attachment 988618
YMMV, of course, but I think it makes a good visual.
Similar results for me. I charged daily to 90% on my Feb 2022 MSLR per Tesla recomendation for about a year. After reading all the battery info on TMC I changed to 55% as it easily fits to my driving habits. My battery's degredation at worst was 4.7% in the first year (per the Tessie app). It has recovered some and is now at 3.7% degradation.

Reactions: DrGriz
I think these batteries hold up very well. Charged at 90% for 5-6 years. Then last 5 years at 80%. Still have over 80% capacity at 11 years.
What car is this on? Miles and battery type?
I’ve obsessed about this topic too much. But I will say I think my car has done really well in the “calendar aging” department. It will be 8 years old next month and has 9,600 miles on it. With the help @AAKEE a few months ago we determined my 90kwh battery has 5% degradation. Two things worth noting. 1. Previous owner and myself never stored over 80% for long periods of time. 2. Car is usually charged to 55 or 60% through its life. 3. Sometimes I charge to 80% but drive it soon afterwards. This formula led to 5% calendar aging in 7 years 11 months. I hope this battery lasts a lot longer

I’ve obsessed about this topic too much. But I will say I think my car has done really well in the “calendar aging” department. It will be 8 years old next month and has 9,600 miles on it. With the help @AAKEE a few months ago we determined my 90kwh battery has 5% degradation. Two things worth noting. 1. Previous owner and myself never stored over 80% for long periods of time. 2. Car is usually charged to 55 or 60% through its life. 3. Sometimes I charge to 80% but drive it soon afterwards. This formula led to 5% calendar aging in 7 years 11 months. I hope this battery lasts a lot longer
It's gotta look great too, only 1,200 miles per year.

Signature Model S. One of first 100 made.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla has provided us with an amazing tool in the app that I think we should all take advantage of.
Considering that Calendar aging really means, don't leave the vehicle sitting at a high state of charge.
Schedule charging within the app can helps with that.
It's a little weird on how they label things but let's say you want to leave the house with your battery each morning at 70%.

Set your charge level to 70, select schedule charging.

1699454458564.png

Select Off peak charging. This is where it gets weird but roll with me. Don't think peak or off peak.
You are basically just setting the time of when you want the car to be at the desired SOC so it's not sitting there all night at this higher state of charge.

1699454533444.png

Then set a time you will want to depart.
1699454799630.png

Then hit the back arrow to go back to main screen. You will see schedule charging Now shows vehicle will charge to depart by that time you just set. Verify that you selected the correct Am or PM as needed when setting time.

1699454938196.png

Couple of notes.
I find that the car is usually charged to desired charge about 1hr before I depart. You can play with the time if you want to get closer to your departure time. I feel that 1 hr at a higher state of charge is MUCH better each day than 12 hours.

When you use schedule charging, and plug in the car, it will briefly start to charge and then stop. Consider this to be that the car is figuring out when it needs to start charging. I noticed on teslafi it displays the time it will start charging. This is really cool that you can see what calculations the car has made and the time it will start the schedule charge.
Hope this will help the folks that want to experiment with schedule charging just to have the car ready to leave at a higher SOC.
There is more to this feature but this is the simplest way not to have the vehicle sitting at a high SOC longer than necessary.

Tesla has provided us with an amazing tool in the app that I think we should all take advantage of.
Considering that Calendar aging really means, don't leave the vehicle sitting at a high state of charge.
Schedule charging within the app can helps with that.
It's a little weird on how they label things but let's say you want to leave the house with your battery each morning at 70%.

Set your charge level to 70, select schedule charging.

View attachment 988866
Select Off peak charging. This is where it gets weird but roll with me. Don't think peak or off peak.
You are basically just setting the time of when you want the car to be at the desired SOC so it's not sitting there all night at this higher state of charge.

View attachment 988867

Then set a time you will want to depart.
View attachment 988873
Then hit the back arrow to go back to main screen. You will see schedule charging Now shows vehicle will charge to depart by that time you just set. Verify that you selected the correct Am or PM as needed when setting time.

View attachment 988879

Couple of notes.
I find that the car is usually charged to desired charge about 1hr before I depart. You can play with the time if you want to get closer to your departure time. I feel that 1 hr at a higher state of charge is MUCH better each day than 12 hours.

When you use schedule charging, and plug in the car, it will briefly start to charge and then stop. Consider this to be that the car is figuring out when it needs to start charging. I noticed on teslafi it displays the time it will start charging. This is really cool that you can see what calculations the car has made and the time it will start the schedule charge.
Hope this will help the folks that want to experiment with schedule charging just to have the car ready to leave at a higher SOC.
There is more to this feature but this is the simplest way not to have the vehicle sitting at a high SOC longer than necessary.
Thanks - this is not new. I'd expect those actively discussing here are aware.

But the question being discussed here lately is - should you set it to 55% so that your use range is 0-55% rather than set it 70% - for significantly less degradation?

Last edited:
Why hasn’t Tesla changed the app to allow for preconditioning on certain days? This is a request I’m sure many have considering most don’t go to office 5 days a week. Currently you can only select preconditioning for all days or weekdays only. Would like to see an additional setting for select weekdays.

Reactions: DrGriz and 12Pack
Thanks - this is not new. I'd expect those actively discussing here are aware.

But the question being discussed here lately is - shouldn't you set it to 55% so that your use range is 0-55% rather than set it 70% - for significantly less degradation?
Well, if you need or like to use 70% - use 70%.

The basic idea is:
-Do not charge more than you need to.
-Charge often (reduces the need above, and makes the cycles smaller.
-Charge late: reduces the calendar aging so charging above 55% causes reduced extra wear. Good way to reduce the increased wear by being above 55-60%.

Reactions: DrGriz