Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What size rims for Model S? 19, 20, 21?

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating if the stock rims are big enough and what the pros and cons of going aftermarket. There is a similar turbine design from Axis and they make size 20 and 21. What do you recommend and what are the pros of each size increments vs the cons.
20160615_201249.jpg
Axis 21s

deep-blue-metallic-tesla-model-s-20-tst-metallic-grey-7.jpg

Sport line 20s

Photo Jul 21.jpeg
Stock streamlines 19

Really wanted the 21" rims but after hearing that I have to change tires at least once a year. I decided to opt out because I couldn't justify the extra cost.

Been really looking at the TsT 20" rims as an option. From what I heard you should be able to get at least 25k-30k miles on tires.

But if money is not an issue with you... I would go with 21" and possibly 22".

Last edited:
21s don't ride as well, have a negative impact on range, and cost alot. Doesn't seem worth it when they don't look that much better.

I agree with all of this except the "when they don't look that much better' statement. I think the 21s absolutely give this car another look and it finishes the car off perfectly. There aren't many better looking cars out there of the refreshed S with the Turbines in my opinion but its very subjective.

I think the 19in Slipstreams are a terrible look for a luxury car. They look like they belong on a Camry or an Accord. I settled for them though due to your other items that I agree with completely on though.

I am hoping to find a happy medium with some aftermarkets in the future but will deal with the slipstreams for now.

Reactions: tsarlsy
One of the things I was told before ordering my car was that the 21 would provide more performance from the car under full acceleration and handling... so far id say that was BS on a P90DL. With the 19" slipstream wheels with 245 wide pilot sport tires all around I've only gotten the traction control to come on a hand full of times on the slipperiest surfaces. The D cars don't need the staggered setup and from other discussions on the board the wider rear tires actually cause the car to push in the corners more then a symmetrical tire setup. I do agree about the looks of the stock rims though thats why I had them powder coated black the first day I got the car, they look much better for now until I get some aftermarket rims in the future...

View media item 115709

Reactions: bradjc
I'm getting T-Sportline 20" wheels fitted today to replace my stock 19"s. I'll let you know how it goes after the drive home later!

Ok, have new wheels on and really love them. I think 20" is the perfect size for me, looks great and is a proportioned size for the car I think, very happy with the ride etc. I fitted 255/40/20 Pilot Super Sport tyres on T-Sportline turbine wheels (I'll take a pic tomorrow). There is slightly more ride noise and did feel a slight frequency vibration on some hwy road surfaces but after 20 mins I forgot what the 19" stock Michelin Primacy tyres felt like and was already used to them. Slightly stiffer over bumps and a grippier feeling, but I was being super picky looking for extra noise and any issues. The stock Primacy tyres are designed for comfort so are going to be better in that way, but the look of the T-Sportlines over stock slipstreams and the grippy feel far out weigh the softer ride for me. Not sure about efficiency, am sure it's lower but would be negligible though. One thing is I bought new TPM sensors and even after a reset and 80kms on the drive home they haven't registered with the car, hope that happens soon and there isn't an issue.

Ok, have new wheels on and really love them. I think 20" is the perfect size for me, looks great and is a proportioned size for the car I think, very happy with the ride etc. I fitted 255/40/20 Pilot Super Sport tyres on T-Sportline turbine wheels (I'll take a pic tomorrow). There is slightly more ride noise and did feel a slight frequency vibration on some hwy road surfaces but after 20 mins I forgot what the 19" stock Michelin Primacy tyres felt like and was already used to them. Slightly stiffer over bumps and a grippier feeling, but I was being super picky looking for extra noise and any issues. The stock Primacy tyres are designed for comfort so are going to be better in that way, but the look of the T-Sportlines over stock slipstreams and the grippy feel far out weigh the softer ride for me. Not sure about efficiency, am sure it's lower but would be negligible though. One thing is I bought new TPM sensors and even after a reset and 80kms on the drive home they haven't registered with the car, hope that happens soon and there isn't an issue.

Awesome... Can't wait to see how it looks... Did the shop tell you how many miles you will get with your tires?

Awesome... Can't wait to see how it looks... Did the shop tell you how many miles you will get with your tires?

No worries, will get one up tomorrow, I think they look more aggressive compared to the stock wheel looking at them again. I was curious how they would look but couldn't be happier. The shop didn't say how long they'd last but I guess would be very dependant on how you drive. Last time I had wheels fitted they left scuffs and marks all over my nice new rims, so this time took to the fancy end of town, this place is next to a Maserati and Lamborghini dealership and the owner is an ex-racing driver so they know their stuff. He gave me the full history on the Michelin Super Sports. ;) Funny thing was when they went to drive onto the lift and gave them a lesson how to put in drive etc. He said, that's great but how do I start it? :) Then when all done I gave them all a demo of summon and self drove back off the lift. Was a great party trick and they thought they'd seen everything!

One of the things I was told before ordering my car was that the 21 would provide more performance from the car under full acceleration and handling... so far id say that was BS on a P90DL. With the 19" slipstream wheels with 245 wide pilot sport tires all around I've only gotten the traction control to come on a hand full of times on the slipperiest surfaces. The D cars don't need the staggered setup and from other discussions on the board the wider rear tires actually cause the car to push in the corners more then a symmetrical tire setup. I do agree about the looks of the stock rims though thats why I had them powder coated black the first day I got the car, they look much better for now until I get some aftermarket rims in the future...

View media item 115709

Wow, black stock wheels looks great! Ok, I'm doing the same thing....

I love the look of bigger wheels but weather and poor roads here in Ohio (not to mention price) steered me to stock 19s. If I lived in California might be different. I love my car, yes the wheels are Camry-ish, but I'm ok with keeping a low profile. Having the nice wheels might be a bit too much for the Folks here in Ohio. They are still trying to figure out what a Tesla is. Baby steps.

Good photos.
To me, the discussion on 19" vs 20" vs 21" is kind of one of one's priorities. The 20" and 21" are definitely more stylish (they look very cool); the 19" more practical (better tire life, better resistance to damage from potholes). It is has been said that the 21s wear out more quickly - so going through them means more oil consumption (tires are mostly made of oil), so they are a bit less "green," if that matters to you.

View media item 115709
What color/shine is that? Looks black matte from my phone but not sure.