Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What size wire for HPWC install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read in other threads that Manual states it should be 2 AWG but I can't find that anywhere? Can someone point me in the right direction?

All depends how many amps you want. There are other factors but 6AWG is common for 50Amp circuit (40 amp charging continuous). This is plenty for overnight charging. The wall connector will work with whatever you give it. You just have to set the dip switch to match your amperage.

IMG_0572.jpg
Page 19 of the new style HPWC manual:For 80A operation, use 2AWG 194°F (90°C) rated copper wire or follow local regulations.
So is this the old one then?

The manual recommends 2 AWG or follow local regulations. The NEC allows 3 AWG for a 100 amp circuit if you are using THHN wire in conduit. I cannot speak to your local regulations but I used 3 AWG wire and have my Wall Connector set at the 80 amp continuous / 100 amp breaker setting. I only ever use it at 72 amp since I have a Model X with high amp charging, but I hope in the future to have another Wall Connector on the same circuit to charge a Model 3.

That's the correct one for the current (newer) Wall Connector. I don't know why my MyTesla still has the old, outdated, incorrect manual for the newer Wall Connector; there are some different things in it. The new manual says use 2AWG copper or whatever local jurisdiction requires, and the older manual says 3AWG copper; that's a giveaway someone is using the incorrect manual.

Since your MyTesla page has the new one and my MyTesla page has the old one, I suggest everyone confirm they have the correct manual before proceeding.

I went with the new manual at 2AWG, and my electrician used THHN in 1" EMT conduit (if it were me I'd have used 2" EMT conduit or 1.5" EMT conduit, depending on budget -- the larger the conduit, the easier to pull wire, even though I'm really good at vacuuming rope with balls of hankerchief at the end, pushing steel fishers, pulling them, vacuuming through and roping through a lot of conduit wax, wiping the wax onto the wires, rigging up pully systems to pull and push wire at the same time --- I'd rather just have a larger pipe while doing all that thank you very much).

only ever use it at 72 amp since I have a Model X with high amp charging, but I hope in the future to have another Wall Connector on the same circuit to charge a Model 3.

I was just going to point this out. Many people who get a Tesla, end up getting another. Might be sensible to wire for 100A, as then you could have two vehicles on that circuit at a later date should the need arise. I did this for my NEMA 14-50 circuit, material cost was not that much in the grand scheme of the overall install.

I paid an electrician to do it simply to ensure no insurance issues if ever there were an electrical fire (no permit and/or work completed by an unqualified person might be just the excuse they are looking for).