Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What sound do electric cars make?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess everyone agrees that cars make the sound “vroom vroom”. I guess that’s the sound of a traditional gas car revving it’s engine in neutral.

Or the classic gear shift sound going “errrr, errrrr, errrr”

But if the day comes that we run out of gas, what are kids / people going to agree what sounds EV cars make?

Like “zzzzzzzz”? Or “wiiiiir”

How come society hasn’t really made up a sound that electric cars make?

If a kid plays with hot wheels, and they can only make sounds a Tesla or an EV make, what would they say?

Actually, serious question. Does the Model 3 right now make any pedestrian safety noise at low speeds? I fairly certain it’s a law (or coming soon) that electric/hybrid cars must make X amount of decibels at X speed and slower... but I’m not sure if it’s gone into effect yet.

I know my 2017 Volt makes some white noise. If you are in a garage or other semi enclosed space and just shift to drive with your foot on the brake you do suddenly hear some “shhhhhh” kind of white noise, but shift back into park and it’s absolutely silent.

Does Model 3 make any sound?

Actually, serious question. Does the Model 3 right now make any pedestrian safety noise at low speeds? I fairly certain it’s a law (or coming soon) that electric/hybrid cars must make X amount of decibels at X speed and slower... but I’m not sure if it’s gone into effect yet.

I know my 2017 Volt makes some white noise. If you are in a garage or other semi enclosed space and just shift to drive with your foot on the brake you do suddenly hear some “shhhhhh” kind of white noise, but shift back into park and it’s absolutely silent.

No. Only sound it makes is the tires right at the limit of losing traction

When I hit the accelerator hard, I hear a high pitch “ring”. Ever so subtle, but I like it. Anyone else hear this?