Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Steering Mode do you use?

What Steering Mode do you use?

• Comfort

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Standard

Votes: 98 37.7%
  • Sport

Votes: 106 40.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sport requires less turning of the steering wheel to make the same arc as standard or comfort. I like that efficiency. Wife changed the setting to standard once and didn't change it back. The reduced responsiveness was immediately apparent to me. I thought at first there was something wrong with the car. then I checked the setting and put it back to sport. all is right again.

P3D+ definitely has heavier steering compared to a RWD, but i still don't think Sport is too bad - it's just very noticeable at low speed. I do a multi-point turn almost every day in a P3D+ on Sport and really don't mind at all (plus it builds muscles?)

I'm going to switch to comfort for the next few days just because of this thread and will report back how i feel :)

Seems to only affect weight/steering effort. I'd hoped it affects steering ratio but it is fixed.

So I use comfort. Why work harder for the same results;)

The reason I thought something was wrong with my car when the setting had been switched from sport to standard was because the wheel was less responsive, not that it was easier to turn.

Combined with a variable-ratio steering rack that has three selectable levels of resistance,
from this article

Saw the variable-ratio mentioned from a few other places as well. Which means model 3 is capable of changing the ratio. question is if it's only changing based on speed, or if it changes also with steering mode selection.

Most cars have variable ratio. It varies on speed. With selectable resistance only. Its easy to perceive weight as response change

I tried it around corners (at driving speed, not parking speed), wheel was at same angle in each setting. Maybe I'll retest

sport requires less turning of the steering wheel to make the same arc as standard or comfort. I like that efficiency. Wife changed the setting to standard once and didn't change it back. The reduced responsiveness was immediately apparent to me. I thought at first there was something wrong with the car. then I checked the setting and put it back to sport. all is right again.

The steering rack is a fixed 10:1 ratio. What you're describing is not possible in a Tesla.

Reactions: mal_tsla
2kuj2j.jpg

I, for one, welcome our full self driving overlords.

I have always driven my P3D+ in sport mode. But 2 months ago, I strained my rotator cuff and had to steer mostly with one hand. I switched the mode to comfort and it made a huge difference. I was thankful to have a car that would let me adjust the steering weight.