Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you normally use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" mode with your model Y?

Do you in general use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" in your model Y

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the camper mattress and often just kept the back seats folded and available for anyone to lie down. The teens (17 and 14) both requested chill as the torque in sport was too much for them over long distances. I agree as chill has ample enough power and was inherently smoother with holding speeds as well as reducing torque significantly.
So you were driving at interstate speeds with 2 of your family members not only unbuckled but loose in the rear of the car? There was an accident on a nearby interstate last week where the only people killed were the 2 unbuckled ones. Completely irresponsible. I don’t even let my dog loose in the car.

Reactions: Resist
So you were driving at interstate speeds with 2 of your family members not only unbuckled but loose in the rear of the car?
Just like how everyone travelled no that long ago. Rules, regs and laws have made it mandatory in most places today including where I live therefor I have no choice but to wear it today. Don't get me wrong seat belts are a good thing and I do wear mine mostly because the fines are high and after a few tickets you start to comply and eventually it becomes second nature.

My brother lives in NH, most drive their motorcycles without a helmet, I do not call them irresponsible just that it does seem odd for me being we have always required helmets where I live. I think people can ride in the back of pickup trucks in some states, unheard of up here, good for them, which we could do that here sometimes.

When one unnecessarily places another’s life at risk I call that irresponsible if not negligent. If that driver were to wreck and one of those teens killed, they could and should be prosecuted. I know, “it can’t happen to me”. Unfortunately it does, every day. Unexpected and unavoidable situations happen all the time, even to the best of drivers.
The nationwide seat belt use rate was 91.6 percent in 2022 as measured by NHTSA's National Occupant Protection Use Survey.
That’s not because people are afraid of getting fined, it’s because reasonable people see the life saving value that usage brings.

When one unnecessarily places another’s life at risk I call that irresponsible if not negligent. If that driver were to wreck and one of those teens killed, they could and should be prosecuted. I know, “it can’t happen to me”. Unfortunately it does, every day. Unexpected and unavoidable situations happen all the time, even to the best of drivers.
The nationwide seat belt use rate was 91.6 percent in 2022 as measured by NHTSA's National Occupant Protection Use Survey.
That’s not because people are afraid of getting fined, it’s because reasonable people see the life saving value that usage brings.
I think my text got misinterpreted or rather I didn’t explain in detail. The rear passenger kid sat in the rear on the 1/3 side while the mattress was flat on the 2/3 side. It has a split design to allow this.

A kid or both would use it whenever we stopped at a charging area, or to eat, or we were at the soccer games and in between games.

So when I said mostly always open, I actually meant it was…but for use during set times.

During actual driving no one layed down flat.

I’ve been called many things but an irresponsible father of my two wonderful kids ….never. I can see how it got taken as it did! I didn’t really give it much thought but my kids also would never take their own seatbelts off as they are brought up in the current generation of ‘seatbelts are part of driving life.’

Tbh as a child i was often in the back of my parents station wagon sleeping for hours on end during long vacation drives. Not saying your stats aren’t valid, but some people choose to not live in fear of the worse case scenario while others live life bubble wrapped. To each is own 🤷🏽‍♂️
I don’t judge.

Occhis…you don’t need to follow me and me posts. I’d prefer you didn’t and unfollow please. Your accusatory comments were enough. Why follow me?

I think my text got misinterpreted or rather I didn’t explain in detail. The rear passenger kid sat in the rear on the 1/3 side while the mattress was flat on the 2/3 side. It has a split design to allow this.

A kid or both would use it whenever we stopped at a charging area, or to eat, or we were at the soccer games and in between games.

So when I said mostly always open, I actually meant it was…but for use during set times.

During actual driving no one layed down flat.

I’ve been called many things but an irresponsible father of my two wonderful kids ….never. I can see how it got taken as it did! I didn’t really give it much thought but my kids also would never take their own seatbelts off as they are brought up in the current generation of ‘seatbelts are part of driving life.’

Tbh as a child i was often in the back of my parents station wagon sleeping for hours on end during long vacation drives. Not saying your stats aren’t valid, but some people choose to not live in fear of the worse case scenario while others live life bubble wrapped. To each is own 🤷🏽‍♂️
I don’t judge.

Occhis…you don’t need to follow me and me posts. I’d prefer you didn’t and unfollow please. Your accusatory comments were enough. Why follow me?
Apologies if I misunderstood your post. I’m sure there are folks who would do that kind of thing, thankfully not you.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I don’t judge.
Glad you cleared things up however, it's not about living it fear or living bubble wrapped, neither have anything to do with it and I wish people would stop using that line. There is a reason it's against the law to not be buckled up while driving. And back in the day rarely anyone wore seat belts and many innocent lives were lost, often at lower than highway speeds. Again it's not about fear or living in a bubble.

Reactions: Skavatar
Ask any traffic cop and they'll have atleast a dozen stories of how seat belts could have saved someone's life. One fatality we had here in Houston many years ago when only the driver and front passengers were required to wear seat belts.

It was a head on collision, both vehicles going around 45 mph on Hwy 6 around Bissonnet. In the first vehicle all 3 people wearing seat belts survived with minor injuries. All 5 were dead in the other vehicle. The front 2 people, mom and dad were wearing their seat belts. In the back seat was daughter, grandma, and daughter, they were not wearing their seat belts. Arriving at the scene all three were sitting in the backseat like nothing happened. After the investigators did their investigation, it was determined that during the head on collision, the grandma flew forward and hit her head against the windshield sustaining serious head injuries and possibly breaking her neck. The two daughters flew forward and their heads were like cannonballs hitting the back of their parents' seat/headrest knocking their parents' heads forward very violently and killing both parents and both daughters. And when the car came to a stop, the reverse momentum threw the grandma, and both daughters back into the back seat. Very tragic, all 5 should have survived if they were all wearing their seat belts. That's why the police, ems, and firefighters pushed for seat belt laws for everyone in a vehicle. Friends and family aren't the only ones that have to deal with the deaths. First responders, doctors and nurses, and other essential personnel have to deal with it too.

When I was a kid in the 70-80's we didn't wear seat belts in the back seat of any cars, or in the very back of my aunt's station wagon, we rode in the back of my uncle's pick up, etc. We weren't involved in any accidents, but if we did get into an accident, I or some of my cousins would not be alive to tell about it.

99.99% of the time its A-okay. But it's that .01% that can be deadly.

Glad you cleared things up however, it's not about living it fear or living bubble wrapped, neither have anything to do with it and I wish people would stop using that line. There is a reason it's against the law to not be buckled up while driving. And back in the day rarely anyone wore seat belts and many innocent lives were lost, often at lower than highway speeds. Again it's not about fear or living in a bubble.
Totally agree here. Yes I’m glad I provided the context to clear it up. Why take a chance. The Y mattress is a pretty nifty item on long trips/camping and does provide moments of stretching or napping while charging or at destination.

It’s also an automatic ticket if any cop drives by and sees a person lying in the back. No thanks.

Now that this all came up; I’m wondering if ever someone ever designed a safety belt for anyone lying the back or in back of a truck? Hmm 🤔 never heard of one but I wonder. A cross strap across the body. I imagine the momentum of front hit would still preclude this given a body horizontally
cannot be secured jn the same manner as upright.

Reactions: Skavatar
I’m wondering if ever someone ever designed a safety belt for anyone lying the back or in back of a truck? Hmm 🤔 never heard of one but I wonder. A cross strap across the body. I imagine the momentum of front hit would still preclude this given a body horizontally
cannot be secured jn the same manner as upright.
It still wouldn't be legal and pretty sure you'd get more injuries lying down buckled up than sitting.

Reactions: Destiny1701