Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck do these terms mean? P+, P-, Stealth Performance, Anti-stealth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The performance model used to be offered in two varieties. One with the full performance plus package (referred to here as the P+), and one without the plus package (referred to here as the P-).

stealth performance is another term for the P- since it doesn’t have the red brake calipers or the spoiler or the wheels

I don’t know what an anti-stealth is, haven’t heard that one.

Stealth Performance is the "preferred" :) term (vs P3D-) and refers to a Performance car w/o visible upgrades like big red brakes, 20 " rims etc.

Once or twice I saw AWD+ to mean a stealth though now with the $2k Performance Boost option, I suppose that is what it should mean if anything..

P3D+ is a fully optioned performance model ie big brakes, 20 " rims, spoiler, some suspension changes (minor)

Anti-stealth is new to me ;)

Edit Az_Rael beat me to it

The performance model used to be offered in two varieties. One with the full performance plus package (referred to here as the P+), and one without the plus package (referred to here as the P-).

stealth performance is another term for the P- since it doesn’t have the red brake calipers or the spoiler or the wheels

I don’t know what an anti-stealth is, haven’t heard that one.

Stealth Performance is the "preferred" :) term (vs P3D-) and refers to a Performance car w/o visible upgrades like big red brakes, 20 " rims etc.

Once or twice I saw AWD+ to mean a stealth though now with the $2k Performance Boost option, I suppose that is what it should mean if anything..

P3D+ is a fully optioned performance model ie big brakes, 20 " rims, spoiler, some suspension changes (minor)

Anti-stealth is new to me ;)

Edit Az_Rael beat me to it

Thanks! I feel enlightened.

So,

P+ = Performance M3
P- = stealth performance = Performance M3 without spoiler, upgraded rims and brake calipers.

Related question:
Sometimes I see "Dual Motor" on the MCU screen or back hatch of an M3
and sometimes I see "Dual Motor" (with red underline),
and sometimes I see P3D on the back hatch of an M3.

P3D seems clear enough. But what is the significance of the red underline for Dual Motor M3s?

Sorry, but I see these terms all over the place but have never seen them defined. Can someone offer some insight?

P+
P-
Stealth Performance
Anti-stealth

How are the above different than the performance model 3?

No idea where you got "anti stealth", I have never seen that mentioned here.. ..

In the context you are asking, "P" stands for performance. Its fairly simple actually:

P+ =Performance model 3 with performance pack upgrade (brakes, spoiler, etc)
P- = Performance model 3 without the performance pack upgrade
Stealth Performance = P- = Performance model 3 without performance pack upgrade.

So,

P+ = Performance M3
P- = stealth performance = Performance M3 without spoiler, upgraded rims and brake calipers.

Related question:

P3D seems clear enough. But what is the significance of the red underline for Dual Motor M3s?

Interestingly, I believe the P3D is actually an aftermarket decal. Teslas official nomenclature on the back is Dual Motor for the AWD version, then adding the underline for the Performance Model.

Back in the day, an underline used to mean a Ludicrous equipped performance version, back when that was an add on option for the Model S.

So,

P+ = Performance M3

Related question:

There is no such thing officially as a "P3D". That is an after market badge that someone put on their car. The official badge from Tesla is "Dual Motor" for Long Range All Wheel Drive model 3s (they are not "M3s"... since we are talking about official naming, thats a BMW model number. They are Model 3s). The red underline under the words "Dual Motor" signify the performance model.

No idea where you got "anti stealth", I have never seen that mentioned here.. ..

Has Anyone Else Gone Anti-Stealth Model 3???

There is no such thing officially as a "P3D". That is an after market badge that someone put on their car. The official badge from Tesla is "Dual Motor" for Long Range All Wheel Drive model 3s (they are not "M3s"... since we are talking about official naming, thats a BMW model number. They are Model 3s). The red underline under the words "Dual Motor" signify the performance model.

Makes sense. I thought I understood the underline, then I just saw a P3D on the back of a car. Made me think I had it all wrong.

Thanks for setting me straight. My Tesla compass had started spinning....Can always count on TMC to point me true North again.

Anti-Stealth:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/has-anyone-else-gone-anti-stealth-model-3.175122/

coined by one person to mean “upgrading hardware” from a LR AWD to Performance without the software.

I forgot about that thread, but yeah that was one person who was basically bolting on the appearance of a performance (what little differences there are) to a car without the speed. People feel differently about this in various car forums, but coming from BMW land, for me, its not much difference from someone slapping a "M" badge on the rear decklid of a BMW 328/428.

This is where I believe Tesla went wrong by having vary ambiguous naming structure. Could potentially be difficult for new buyers to tell a difference as many see Model 3 as just one trim.

Here is hierarchy of Model 3 (Likely i am wrong, as doing it from memory), feel free to correct it

SR Short Range, partial interior?, certain features are turned off and/or missing
SR+ Short Range, premium interior?
MR Midrange, no longer available, premium interior, bigger battery
LR RWD Long Range, Rear Wheel Drive - no longer available, first the first Model 3 to be made.
LR AWD Long Range, All Wheel Drive
LR AWD+ Long Range All Wheel drive with $2k Boost option
P3- Performance Long Range without bigger wheels, brakes
P3/P3+ Performance Long Range with bigger wheels brakes.

Another term you might see is PUP (Performance Upgrade Package). As mentioned before, a Performance Upgrade Package (ie bigger brakes, 20" rims, lowered suspension, etc.) was an option at one time. Cars with PUP are basically P3D+ and without PUP are P3D-. Tesla officially called it "Performance Upgrade Package." General public abbreviated it to PUP.

Makes sense. I thought I understood the underline, then I just saw a P3D on the back of a car. Made me think I had it all wrong.

Thanks for setting me straight. My Tesla compass had started spinning....Can always count on TMC to point me true North again.

Was this around Sac? :oops: :D LOL

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 12.25.35 PM.png

Another term you might see is PUP (Performance Upgrade Package). As mentioned before, a Performance Upgrade Package (ie bigger brakes, 20" rims, lowered suspension, etc.) was an option at one time.
Can’t recall when it changed, but as you note the PUP is no longer available. Currently, if you order the Performance version of the Model 3 the price includes:
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 162mph
  • Track Mode
Adding to the confusion is that the “stealth” Performance cannot be ordered through the Tesla website. You have to find one that has been built by asking a Tesla Sales Advisor. I find that very strange.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Another term you might see is PUP (Performance Upgrade Package). As mentioned before, a Performance Upgrade Package (ie bigger brakes, 20" rims, lowered suspension, etc.) was an option at one time. Cars with PUP are basically P3D+ and without PUP are P3D-. Tesla officially called it "Performance Upgrade Package." General public abbreviated it to PUP.

Was this around Sac? :oops: :D LOL

View attachment 496795
You'll also see tons of PUP in peoples signatures who also list Aero wheels. I'm going to guess they paid for the 'Premium Upgrades Package' which used to be an option.