Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What tires are you running?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, just like the title mentions, I was wondering what tires you are all running. I have been running Michelins PS4Ss but the time has come to replace them. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Michelins so far, they have been very good in all conditions, but I was thinking of perhaps trying something new.

I am looking to see what most of you are using and how do you like it.

Honestly you probably can’t to better than the PS4S for a daily tire than can take some spirit.

That said, are you looking for something cheaper? That is the only reason to not get the same ones (unless you really need more traction). There are lots of “notably cheaper but still close enough-ish” tires. But, all of them will probably give up at least one trait between traction, wear, wet handling, noise, and efficiency.

Reactions: kpanda17 and santua
I know, PS4Ss are probably the best tire I can get.

PS4Ss are pricey, but tbh, anything in the sizes I need (245/285) will be expensive, so I am not too concerned with price. Just looking at what other options are out there, I would not mind trying something different.

The other concern I have is, are PS4Ss overkill for a Model 3P. I get it for a RWD BMW M2 Comp or something like that, idk.

I know this won’t be a popular response. But I’m on my second pair of the OEM Michelin MXM4. When it was time to buy new tires, I did so much research. I felt like all of the other options had certain drawbacks that I wasn’t happy with. Maybe it was range reduction. Availability. Added noise, Etc. Costco had a good deal on the OEM’s, and I just bought them, and have no regrets at all. (I do have winter tires as well, which is an important factor.)

Reactions: kpanda17 and santua
I know this won’t be a popular response. But I’m on my second pair of the OEM Michelin MXM4. When it was time to buy new tires, I did so much research. I felt like all of the other options had certain drawbacks that I wasn’t happy with. Maybe it was range reduction. Availability. Added noise, Etc. Costco had a good deal on the OEM’s, and I just bought them, and have no regrets at all. (I do have winter tires as well, which is an important factor.)
I've been considering some sort of high-performance all-season tire, because tbh, I am getting a little feeling that PS4Ss are overkill for this car. I have been eying the Michelin Sport All Season 4, and while it seems like a great tire, that will probably be the best for 90% of my driving, then there is that remaining 10%, where I feel like I would miss a more performance-oriented tire.

I've been considering some sort of high-performance all-season tire, because tbh, I am getting a little feeling that PS4Ss are overkill for this car. I have been eying the Michelin Sport All Season 4, and while it seems like a great tire, that will probably be the best for 90% of my driving, then there is that remaining 10%, where I feel like I would miss a more performance-oriented tire.
why are tires with the best stopping rate (aka safer) over-kill?

I have yanked >1.0g on my eBay-sourced imported all-seasons (vs 1.3 with 200tw tires) so you can definitely have a lot of fun on “regular” tires.

But, if you aren’t cornering really hard, then PS4Ss might be overkill for [you] (though not for the car itself).

IMG_2817.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cce32
I have yanked >1.0g on my eBay-sourced imported all-seasons (vs 1.3 with 200tw tires) so you can definitely have a lot of fun on “regular” tires.

But, if you aren’t cornering really hard, then PS4Ss might be overkill for [you] (though not for the car itself).

View attachment 954217
Lol this picture always cracks me up every time that you have posted it. Your passenger's face is invaluable 🤣.

But yeah, I'm thinking I am just going to go PS4S again, nothing seems to be able to replace it from what is available in the sizes I need.

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
Lol this picture always cracks me up every time that you have posted it. Your passenger's face is invaluable 🤣.

But yeah, I'm thinking I am just going to go PS4S again, nothing seems to be able to replace it from what is available in the sizes I need.
Honestly unless you need the ability to occasionally make it through light snow and ice (I.e. all-seasons), I can’t think of a reason to try to save a few hundred bucks.

(I am saying this while rolling on off-brand imports…but that’s because I have two full sets that I swap in and out twice a month :p ).

And yes, I love this photo lol. It was this guy’s first ever AutoX and he showed up in a bone-stock mid-90s Miata and didn’t really know what he was getting into :p .

• Funny
Reactions: santua
Pilot Sport A/S4 is a LOUD tire, and given that tire noise is prominent in all Model 3s, would be an unbearable combination, IMHO.

The Pirelli PZero “Elect” that are the OEM tire on my ‘22 3P offer a slightly different combination of virtues compared to the PS4S that were on my previous ‘18 3P. They’re maybe slightly quieter and smoother (though some of that could just be improvements in the car) while offering slightly less steering quickness and overall grip.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic and santua
I've had the OEM Michelin MXM4, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, and currently on Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires. My first two lasted about 22k to 24k miles. My CrossClimates should last at least 45k miles, based on my current tread depth at 33k miles. So if you care about how long they last, get these. The CrossClimates are also good on light mud and they've gotten me out of a few spots where I've struggled with other tires.

Pilot Sport A/S4 is a LOUD tire, and given that tire noise is prominent in all Model 3s, would be an unbearable combination, IMHO.

The Pirelli PZero “Elect” that are the OEM tire on my ‘22 3P offer a slightly different combination of virtues compared to the PS4S that were on my previous ‘18 3P. They’re maybe slightly quieter and smoother (though some of that could just be improvements in the car) while offering slightly less steering quickness and overall grip.
That is what I've heard, regarding the Michelins. I am not a big fan of Pirelli, at least not a big fan of the P ZEROs, which are the only option for the sizes I have.

Once my PS4S’ wear out I’m going with either Advan V601 or Continental’s extreme contact sport 02’s.

Advan for budget and Conti’s to try something very similarly reviewed as PS4S.
Yeah, I've considered the Contis, they seem to be a great tire, comparable to the PS4S, but from what I've seen, it seems that almost every review says that the Michelins end up being slightly better, they also look better. So for the price difference, I am not convinced.