Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What tires are you running?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought Crossclimate 2 tires recently, prioritizing safety. 2020 Model 3 LR 18".

Q: How many Wh/mi are y'all seeing with them? Vs. your original tires?

In the first couple hundred miles, I'm seeing ≈250 Wh/mi on freeway trips and 300-400 Wh/mi on local streets. That seems like a big difference but I didn't watch for that difference on the original MXM4 tires, which averaged 254 Wh/mi total.

Anyway this suggests the road trip efficiency (where it matters) will be about the same as the original tires, which is better than I expected.
Seems about right. I'm averaging ~300 Wh/mi in mixed driving conditions. These tires seems to have slightly higher rolling resistance than the stock tires, but to be honest I didn't spend enough time on the stock tires to assess their impact on efficiency to make a fair comparison.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I'm in the UK and have M3LR 19" Hankook Evo 3. I think they're good but don't have a comparison. Tesla are now supplying their cars with Pilot Sport 4 which have a lower efficiency grading but higher wet grip.
Anyone have experience between these two? Is it splitting hairs at this level?
Wish the Hankook IONs were available to me (UK), I heard they bring a 20% efficiency improvement which sounds crazy good given I've already taken the 10% hit for having 19s.

Continental DWS06+

Been through several pairs now. They have excellent traction in the dry and wet. (Even with a bit of snow, but they don’t seem to handle slush very well). The other huge plus is they’re very inexpensive. The tread pattern looks pretty rad as well.

Downsides are they’re noiser than some other tires, don’t seem to last particularly long, and the rolling resistance is supposedly poor.

I got 35,000km on my last set of rears and 55,000km from the fronts fwiw. This was stretching their life nearly as long as possible. My last set of rears was maybe 3/32” when I got some road debris in the tire and the tire shop wouldn’t patch it after 20,000km. Hard to believe that the tire life nearly doubles in the last 1-2 32nd’s of tread depth!!!

I have some Bridgestone Blizzack LM005 on the front right now. Too early to give feedback, but they feel pretty lazy in terms of steering response compared to the continentals.

Next I’m going to try either the Falken FK510 (as they’re cheap in the 20” size and seem decent) or General G-Max RS if I go with 18’s after this winter.

I'm sure, and yes, it sounds backwards, hence the interest in others' experience.

If it helps, the freeways were limited by heavy traffic to 55-65 MPH.

Maybe these new tires with 10/32" tread depth are less efficient at steering and regenerative breaking?

New tires with higher tread depth will have slightly (I mean a small amount) higher rolling resistance overall (and RR proportionally makes more difference at slower speeds), but steering and braking should be unaffected.

• Helpful
Sorry, but I did not log the exact milage during the time period I had them on this past year. My guess, based on my driving during that time, is about 12,000 km or so.

The V vs W rating should not matter unless you are planning to do track driving because in ordinary driving you will not be going anywhere near W or V speeds (240 km/h (V), 270 km/h (W)). Or at least I certainly hope you will no be driving those speeds on public roads. Frisby Tire in Ottawa had no issues putting them on my Model 3 LR despite the very slightly lower speed rating than the OEM tires. Frisby in Ottawa has now been taken over by Kal (just a few weeks after I had those Nokian's put on) - I wonder if they will give me any issues about it when I ask them to put them back on in the Spring. I doubt it, since they are putting on tire that were already on the car last year and that I purchased from the same location, albeit when it was under different ownership.

Anyway, in your own case, just ask again if they will put them on and if they don't, see if you can find the tires online and get some other garage to put them on.
I did ask again, and the Kal employee pushed back a bit until I said that the XL is rated for a heavier car like the M3, then she just ordered the tires and I had them installed on my summer rims today. Once it warms up in Alberta we will find out how they run. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: chinney
Logged back on the forums after some time. I wanted to pitch in and give some feedback on the last set of tires I ever had on my M3P.

As y'all might have seen, I was running PS4Ss 245 Front and 285 Rear. Excellent tire. However, when it came time to switch I decided to try the newcomer, the Continentals Extreme Contact Sport 02.

I had heard that the new Continentals were a phenomenal tire, and based on all the reviews that I watched and read, it stacked up very nicely next to the PS4S but at a much more enticing price point. I got them and although I did not drive on them for too long, I can say that they are 100% up to par with the PS4Ss, and dare I say, I think I actually liked the feel of them better, specifically during hard cornering, it feels linear and smooth, tons of grip in both dry and wet. I would recommend the Sport 02 to anyone considering the PS4S or in the market for summer tires.

And they look pretty good too:
F 255/R 295

Attachments

• IMG_8781-1.jpg
    IMG_8781-1.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8786.jpg
    IMG_8786.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 21
New tires with higher tread depth will have slightly (I mean a small amount) higher rolling resistance overall (and RR proportionally makes more difference at slower speeds), but steering and braking should be unaffected.

I now think my "≈250 Wh/mi on freeway trips and 300-400 Wh/mi on local streets" misattributed the efficiency difference.

Checking frequently, I see a big energy cost starting out, esp. at 50°F ambient in January, which averages out over the miles. Local-street trips are only a few miles.

Today I took a 70 mi round trip in 60° weather. Round trip ~255 Wh/mi with the first mile of each leg > 600 Wh/mi.

Reactions: DrChaos
I now think my "≈250 Wh/mi on freeway trips and 300-400 Wh/mi on local streets" misattributed the efficiency difference.

Checking frequently, I see a big energy cost starting out, esp. at 50°F ambient in January, which averages out over the miles. Local-street trips are only a few miles.

if it's possible, pre-heating from 'shore power' at home helps a bunch of course. The heat pump is very efficient once you're at equilibrium temperature and it doesn't work hard, but it's not efficient when called to suddenly heat up from cold, when the motor and battery is also cold.

if it's possible, pre-heating from 'shore power' at home helps a bunch of course. The heat pump is very efficient once you're at equilibrium temperature and it doesn't work hard, but it's not efficient when called to suddenly heat up from cold, when the motor and battery is also cold.
Great idea to try preconditioning for departure! My aim is to understand the efficiency, in particular how the CrossClimate 2 tires compare with the original Michelin MXM4 tires. The Trips info helps. I'm not finding much insight in the car's Energy app.

(It's a 2020 Model 3 AWD, predating the heat pump.)

Is there an estimate of how much energy goes into heating the battery and motors by 10°F?

Great idea to try preconditioning for departure! My aim is to understand the efficiency, in particular how the CrossClimate 2 tires compare with the original Michelin MXM4 tires. The Trips info helps. I'm not finding much insight in the car's Energy app.

(It's a 2020 Model 3 AWD, predating the heat pump.)

Is there an estimate of how much energy goes into heating the battery and motors by 10°F?

Replaced with Michelin Crossclimate 2 Tires