Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do if your Tesla is stolen?

What would you recommend ?

• Pull up the app, call 911, share the location

• Call tesla have them disable the car

• Do both

• I can think of something else ( please share)

• Panic

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the early 1990s it was a $16,000 Honda Accord that could be dismantled to be sold as over $30,000 in parts on the black market.
Right. In 1993 I moved my family to Germany for a year. We were ordering a new Volvo 850 for delivery in Frankfurt and I wondered whether the anti theft package with ignition disable would be worth it, so I called LAPD auto theft division and asked. He asked what model car. I told him Volvo 850, and he laughed. "Hell," he said, "nobody steals Volvos anyway." A car with minor market share and appealing mostly to suburban families was just not going to be profitable to car theft rings.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
Right. In 1993 I moved my family to Germany for a year. We were ordering a new Volvo 850 for delivery in Frankfurt and I wondered whether the anti theft package with ignition disable would be worth it, so I called LAPD auto theft division and asked. He asked what model car. I told him Volvo 850, and he laughed. "Hell," he said, "nobody steals Volvos anyway." A car with minor market share and appealing mostly to suburban families was just not going to be profitable to car theft rings.

Just goes to show what idiots work at LAPD auto theft division. :p
But in all seriousness, why ask them about car theft in Germany? What would they know about what cars are valued over here? Obviously, the German and US car markets are very different, and Volvos were and are very high on car thieves' lists here. The XC 90 for example is currently actually one of the cars with the highest "stolen" rates on the market.

Just goes to show what idiots work at LAPD auto theft division. :p
But in all seriousness, why ask them about car theft in Germany? What would they know about what cars are valued over here? Obviously, the German and US car markets are very different, and Volvos were and are very high on car thieves' lists here. The XC 90 for example is currently actually one of the cars with the highest "stolen" rates on the market.
I asked if factory-installed car alarm systems were worth the extra money. I wasn't buying the car for a year, so it was destined to be in service here for 9 more years.