Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What type of range are you seeing on this snowy day? (From Montreal to .....)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With this large snowstorm rolling in, I was curious to see how the extra push required by the motor + extra heat to melt windshield snow is affecting your range/power consumption? This morning, my consumption was staying steady at ~500wh/km which is the worst I've seen up to now and is the first time I've doubted this car to be reliable in our climate. What is everyone else seeing out there? I know Toronto go pounded pretty bad too.

Were you on a short drive?
Because to be honest I found your consumption extreme. My experience is after warming up the car for a while, I can see those figures for a while but it doesn't last.

I live in Montreal, it was indeed a big one ! :)

In the GTA, we got hit pretty good. I definitely noticed a huge hit with efficiency but there was a lot of snow that was not plowed yet adding a lot of resistance. I also topped up a little more than the usual 80% as the storm was expected.

For reference, this trip has been usually using around 80km of range during the winter months and usually only takes 45 minutes!

I am very happy with how my M3LR handled in the snow. I have always used all seasons and I had no issues at all. My previous 2017 civic wouldn’t have stood a chance today, although I was stressing the whole time praying my heat pump wouldn’t give out as I was driving into a lot of snow banks.

(Battery was pre-conditioned as well prior to drive)

F97240DB-5EB0-42A2-A8CE-8F54F63855D9.jpeg

Reactions: Space_CowBoy
With this large snowstorm rolling in, I was curious to see how the extra push required by the motor + extra heat to melt windshield snow is affecting your range/power consumption? This morning, my consumption was staying steady at ~500wh/km which is the worst I've seen up to now and is the first time I've doubted this car to be reliable in our climate. What is everyone else seeing out there? I know Toronto go pounded pretty bad too.
What model and battery pack are you driving?

Were you on a short drive?
Because to be honest I found your consumption extreme. My experience is after warming up the car for a while, I can see those figures for a while but it doesn't last.

I live in Montreal, it was indeed a big one ! :)
Yes, it was a short drive and I suspect the battery was taking much longer to warm up than usual. The resistance induced by the snow definitely was a factor, once the streets were plowed, I was back down to ~170wh/km which is much better!

Did Montreal to Toronto this past weekend, started with 90% charge and hard to stop at Cornwall (was projecting 7% Kingston and didnt want to risk it), Kingston, and then another 15 minutes in Pickering. Weather was -14 warming up to -3, with no snow.

On my way from Toronto to Montreal, only needed one stop in Kingston when it was -3.

Going 130 consistently both ways.

'22 MS LR on 19" winters.

I just picked up my M3LR and I'm consistently getting less than half of my expected range which is driving me insane! Losing 25% of the battery on just over 50 km, which works out to about 200 km for a full battery...! I have tried to precondition before driving but it's not really helping. Heat is also set to minimum... Any experts here who can weigh in? Is this worth raising with tesla?

I am far from being an expert but driving short distances in cold weather on snowy roads with a cold battery will do it.
My commute in Summer takes 5% of my battery and goes up to 10% in really adverse conditions in Montréal Winter.

I just picked up my M3LR and I'm consistently getting less than half of my expected range which is driving me insane! Losing 25% of the battery on just over 50 km, which works out to about 200 km for a full battery...! I have tried to precondition before driving but it's not really helping. Heat is also set to minimum... Any experts here who can weigh in? Is this worth raising with tesla?
I have had my M3LR for almost 4 years and had a Model S for 3 years before that. I live in Ottawa and drive to Montreal often. Always plan in winter cold and snowy conditions to get half your summer-time range. Expect it. If you get more than bonus. Best way to increase range in winter is to slow down and take an extra 20 minutes. Lower your speed and the energy required to push against the wind. You will always make a trip by just decreasing your speed. Always.

As a long time ev owner and Tesla owner

Preheat preheat preheat. Plugged in.

It will negate most of your loss. If you get in a fully charged hot car you are good to go.

It will take more energy then the charger can give for the first bit of preheat so do it a half hour or more before you leave on a trip

I'm still getting my head around having to plug the car every night. Just doesn't feel right lol. Add to that my driving schedule is very irregular, I work from home and do short ~15 km trips. So preconditioning while plugged in isn't really possible. But I gather from the comments here that what I'm experiencing is not something completely odd and that there's nothing that Tesla can do about it ...

I'm still getting my head around having to plug the car every night. Just doesn't feel right lol. Add to that my driving schedule is very irregular, I work from home and do short ~15 km trips. So preconditioning while plugged in isn't really possible. But I gather from the comments here that what I'm experiencing is not something completely odd and that there's nothing that Tesla can do about it ...
If you are only making short trips, doesn’t really matter if wh/mile is high. I just plug in as I go past the port going into the house, takes 5 seconds. Before leaving in the morning, battery is charged from overnight, I turn climate on from my phone as I am getting ready to go. No problem, no worries.

Reactions: Dinevski