Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will I lose out on if I buy an early 2021 MSP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am looking at a 2021 MSP with ~10K miles that seems like an early edition ( it has wooden inserts instead of carbon fiber). Outside of the new tail lights, seats and red calipers I am not sure what I would lose (hardware? build quality) vs buying a new MSP if I went for that car. Please help! Thanks

Hello,

I am looking at a 2021 MSP with ~10K miles that seems like an early edition ( it has wooden inserts instead of carbon fiber). Outside of the new tail lights, seats and red calipers I am not sure what I would lose (hardware? build quality) vs buying a new MSP if I went for that car. Please help! Thanks

Tesla does have S/X that were produced at the end of 2020, and they are called model 2021. Those 2021 that were produced in 2020 got obsolete technology: No Bluetooth fob, no key card, can't close windows remotely...

Those 2021 produced in 2021 have current technology.

Those 2021 produced in 2021 have current technology.

Early refresh Model S cars will be missing the tilting center screen and the MCU will only have 8gb of RAM vs. 16gb which means they are not able to run Steam. I *think* the matrix headlights were introduced later on also.

Compared to 2023/2024 models, they would have the FSD v3 computer vs. the FSD v4, and they would also have ultrasonic sensors which are missing on newer cars.

Early refresh Model S cars will be missing the tilting center screen and the MCU will only have 8gb of RAM vs. 16gb which means they are not able to run Steam. I *think* the matrix headlights were introduced later on also.

Compared to 2023/2024 models, they would have the FSD v3 computer vs. the FSD v4, and they would also have ultrasonic sensors which are missing on newer cars.
Be aware that Tesla has potentially "downgraded" the RAM for the MCU such that a brand new car may also not have the capability for Steam. So if Steam functionality is a critical item for anyone, they may need to start limiting their search to MS produced before end of Q1 2024 and want to refer to this thread.