Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously I can't speak for you, but IMO there are a lot of things people in general control in their cars without looking at them:

- radio channel
- music volume
- temperature (this is hard on a Tesla, though you can put some things on the steering wheel)
- seat heating and ventilation (hard on a Tesla too)
- opening sunroof (this too is hard on a Tesla)

Usually these can be done without looking away from driving...

Those people are more talented/coordinated than me.

Would cancel my reservation for the M3 if an upgraded S became available in the meantime…

By upgraded S, I mean either the interior (I just love my friends Wraith’s interior, OK a little over the top with the fiber optic roof, but very cool none the less) which would win over my over wife big time.

Or upgrade the S with the 2170's/new battery cooling technology, the new motor technology from the semi/M3 development program and then kill the mustache (that non-functional thing is so ’60). That would placate my nerdy side and I am there.

In fact, a very cleaver marketing move for Tesla would be...as soon as the M3s hit showroom floor...to have that upgraded S ready. It would obviously drive serious traffic to the S and expand sales for both lines. I hope it happens!

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
If insurance rates totally eliminate your fuel savings, it's going to prevent a lot of sales.

If you are relying on fuel and insurance savings to afford a car, any car, you should take transit or otherwise find a way to live within your means.

As for Tesla Model 3, I highly doubt an increase in the insurance rate will suppress sales...

If you are relying on fuel and insurance savings to afford a car, any car, you should take transit or otherwise find a way to live within your means.

As for Tesla Model 3, I highly doubt an increase in the insurance rate will suppress sales...

They didn't say they are relying on it to afford it. Just the benefit of lower fuel costs gets eliminated by the higher insurance costs. One of the advantages of electric cars is the lower running costs but a higher start up cost. If the running costs no longer stay lower then this advantage goes.

I would cancel my reservation if nuclear war broke out... and maybe if Consumer Reports pans the car like they did with the Prius C.
Nuclear war is all the more reason to have an electric car. Unlike what you might have seen on Mad Max, gasoline will be scarce.

All these apocalyptic movies and tv shows and no one ever seems to figure out how to find some solar panels and use an electric car.

Nuclear war is all the more reason to have an electric car. Unlike what you might have seen on Mad Max, gasoline will be scarce.

All these apocalyptic movies and tv shows and no one ever seems to figure out how to find some solar panels and use an electric car.
On the show "The 100" they have solar panels that must be incredibly efficient. They are, maybe, a couple of feet square, seem to power things the size of pickup truck, all day (and night), and the kicker is that is almost always cloudy. Of course it's a few hundred years in the future so I'm sure they have much better panels than we do now :D

A blanket statement like "you don't need a speedometer because you should know how fast you're going" is patently ridiculous.

An easy fix for speed notifications is to have the border of the screen turn red when you are going over the speed limit so it's easy to notice in your peripheral.

Regarding speedometer - it's clearly still needed. If the center screen of the Model 3 were to break or get stolen, the car is likely disabled. Maybe it could still drive, but the best course of action would be to get it replaced and get a loaner/rental in the mean time. I strongly doubt it will be a common occurence, though.

No it certainly is not clearly needed. Saying what if the center screen gets stolen or broken is like saying what if someone steals all 4 wheels of my car at once. I strongly doubt it would be a common occurrence.

Should we ever have an EMP attack .... an electric car will be worthless (along with everything else that is electric)

I believe that is a true statement that normally I would dismiss as unlikely ... but there are reports that is exactly what N. Korea is working towards.
And so would most regular modern cars as they are chock full of electronics.

No it certainly is not clearly needed. Saying what if the center screen gets stolen or broken is like saying what if someone steals all 4 wheels of my car at once. I strongly doubt it would be a common occurrence.
I'm not entirely sure what I was trying to say there. I think meant to say that speed information is still needed. I don't mind having it displayed on the center screen. And I agree it wouldn't be a common occurrence.

Should we ever have an EMP attack .... an electric car will be worthless (along with everything else that is electric)

I believe that is a true statement that normally I would dismiss as unlikely ... but there are reports that is exactly what N. Korea is working towards.
Wrapping my tv, iPad, computer, cell phone, Sonos play 5, toothbrush, electric razor, electric can opener in tin foil.... Oh and cell phone forgot cell phone...

I've never liked AAA. They seem to think that they need to defend oil companies and oppose environmental regulations for the benefit of drivers. Even when I was driving a gas car (which I still do on my annual road trip, which takes me on secondary roads where there are no superchargers) I didn't/don't want the planet turned into a polluted pile of filth.

I would cancel my reservation if nuclear war broke out...

Mad Max has nothing to do with reality. It's another dystopian world movie, like zombies or the terminator. Fun to watch but not a guide for survival. After a nuclear war there will be no car factories, no solar-panel factories, no electric grid, no gasoline refineries, no food production, no roads on which to drive a car. During the brief period before the radiation has killed everyone not vaporized in the blasts, there will be utter chaos and looting of the meager remaining food. So if there is a nuclear war and I am not in the initial blast zone, I won't bother to cancel my reservation.

But I will cancel (and stick with my Roadster) if, after a test drive, I feel disappointed by the car's overly-large size, or its handling or other aspects of it. At present I'm inclined to wait for the P-AWD version, though I've gone back and forth on that and will probably do so again a few times before we get to place our orders.

Reactions: slipnslider
LOL @ people disagreeing with me.

Maybe the government can start a car assistance program, to help people insure Teslas.....

I think the larger thing to remember here is:

Even if you have the BASE Model 3 and your insurance goes up....you're not going to get any sympathy from the general public, as you're STILL driving at least a $35,000 vehicle. It's up to you to fuel, maintain, and insure it.

And thanks to the free market economy, you're allowed to shop around for better rates.

Exactly like that.

Tesla spent a lot of time working to make buying a brand new tesla an awesome experience. They put less effort into managing real life with a tesla, which requires accident repairs. If repairs are super expensive, that's tesla's fault. So if insurance rates are high because of expensive repairs, that's also tesla's fault. Tesla needs to go into fix-it-now mode for the insurance issue, or else lose a lot of potential M3 buyers.

The one part that confuses me is that they're claiming accidents are more frequent. How can accidents be more frequent in cars that are supposedly safer because of accident avoidance technology? Unless the people buying teslas are SUCH bad drivers that their terrible driving ability overwhelms and erases the advantages of accident avoidance tech, or if the accident avoidance tech actually sucks.

I know BMWs are usually driven by aggressive assholes, but I hadn't noticed the same trend among teslas.

Last edited:
Reactions: internalaudit