Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the looks of the car so far from what I've seen but that sole middle screen might be a pass for me. I can see an indicator display right in front of me for speed, etc. much better than trying to look over to the middle of the dash. I'd be concerned about glare and problems with the screen. Even now with our 17 inch display there are times when it's distracting to reach over and get the info you want. I'm also wondering with the car being smaller and with smaller frunk/trunk space for impact mitigation how well it will do on those crash tests.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
Perhaps the model 3 has an inferior battery cooling system compared to the S/X. Some reports say the Bolt can only charge at max rate under ideal conditions. Perhaps supercharges will only charge the Model 3 at nameplate under ideal (cool) conditions.

Perhaps Musk's repeated comments about the best tech being in the S/X has deeper meaning than we currently realize.

I like the looks of the car so far from what I've seen but that sole middle screen might be a pass for me. I can see an indicator display right in front of me for speed, etc. much better than trying to look over to the middle of the dash. I'd be concerned about glare and problems with the screen. Even now with our 17 inch display there are times when it's distracting to reach over and get the info you want. I'm also wondering with the car being smaller and with smaller frunk/trunk space for impact mitigation how well it will do on those crash tests.
What are you doing on the center screen while driving?

With the lower mass of the Model 3 I believe the crash tests will come up fine and I'm guessing the Model 3 will come up better in the roof strength test as well.

Last edited:
What are you doing on the center screen while driving?

With the lighter mass of the Model 3 I believe the crash tests will come up fine and I'm guessing the Model 3 will come up better in the roof strength test as well.

Map view/s, audio choices, split or full screen sometimes. Right now on the S you can get a lot of info on the screen in front of the steering wheel but if they are doing away with that display it's all going to be shown on the mid-screen, things like speed, road signs, lane markings, objects around you. Can't imagine that those are "features" that would be eliminated in the M3. Look forward to seeing how all this gets implemented.

As for the crash tests, from the reports of a number of M3s in Ohio near the testing grounds, the results should be coming shortly. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the center screen but would want to sit in the car and do a test drive. The price point might be nice for a second car for us.

I can see an indicator display right in front of me for speed, etc. much better than trying to look over to the middle of the dash.

Back in 2009, I bought an R56 Mini Cooper and of all the things that I hated, and that broke on that lemon - the middle speedo never bothered me. I always thought it was fun and unique to have a dinner plate sized analogue speedometer.

I would like a n option for speed on the screen. I keep the steering wheel low which blocks the speedometer. I have to look down and to the side a bit. I often just use the Waze to check speed. Model 3 center screen will just take a little getting used to.

My 2003 Miata has a well layed out, simple dual display of the speed/RPMs (because in a Miata they are equally important :D ) with smaller gauges surrounding them. It was applauded by the automotive press when it first came out and I like and appreciate it to this day.

It will be just as quick and easy, if not easier, to glance past my right hand to a digital readout as it would be to glance under my left hand to read an analog display. Different isn't always worse, it's just different. I'm somewhat surprised on a board dedicated to an electric car company at the resistance to change because as the end of the day: nearly the whole damn car is "different". I thought that was the point?

Reactions: Petra
My 2003 Miata has a well layed out, simple dual display of the speed/RPMs (because in a Miata they are equally important :D ) with smaller gauges surrounding them. It was applauded by the automotive press when it first came out and I like and appreciate it to this day.

It will be just as quick and easy, if not easier, to glance past my right hand to a digital readout as it would be to glance under my left hand to read an analog display. Different isn't always worse, it's just different. I'm somewhat surprised on a board dedicated to an electric car company at the resistance to change because as the end of the day: nearly the whole damn car is "different". I thought that was the point?
I've chalked it up to the older demographic who can afford a Tesla are a little set in their ways ;). Once more younger people get into the Model 3 it will be as easy as anything else and they will hardly complain, if at all.

I would cancel my Model 3 reservation if an asteroid hit my bank and wiped out my account and I had no money left to pay for the car. Or if General Motors bought Tesla and decided to build the car with a gasoline engine. Or if I had a stroke and could no longer drive a car.

Actually, having seen, from another thread, how huge the Model 3 is, I might cancel if I find it too awkward to drive after I've had a test drive. I want the safety features, but it will be a trade-off against the size, which is really too big for me. I love my Roadster, so I'll still be driving electric. And I'll still need to drive the Prius for my annual trip to Canada for hiking until there are superchargers on the secondary roads that trip takes me on. Maybe in a year or two they'll have those, and I'll be able to replace the Prius with the Model 3 and keep the Roadster. I only have room for two cars.

Time will tell, but I've already set my mind to "getting used to it" because I have a strong hunch that is the direction all car interior controls will go over the next 10 years. I like the integration better in the Model S over what I've seen with the Model 3, but if it comes down to being easily able to reach the screen/interface with the vehicle I'll take the floating screen thank you very much!
Just because phones went all-touchscreen doesn't mean cars will or should.

A phone has very little surface area so a touchscreen is the most versatile way to get many functions on a small surface. Car interiors don't have the same limitation of space. There is more room for physical buttons and switches, which are superior because they can be operated without taking your eyes off the road.

People who lived through the cell phone revolution might think "touchscreen = better" since that was the case with phones, but cars are not phones.

Reactions: svp6
I got tricked to buy the S. I was called and told the perks were going away if I didn't take delivery by 12/31/16. I bought the S just to find out Oh! Everybody gets to keep their perks ...

My trust in Tesla has dwindled a lot. Now if I get my 3 early and have the opportunty to flip it for a good price, I may forgive. If not they may both go the way of lesson learned and I move on. I hate when people or things I love betray my trust.

A phone has very little surface area so a touchscreen is the most versatile way to get many functions on a small surface. Car interiors don't have the same limitation of space. There is more room for physical buttons and switches, which are superior because they can be operated without taking your eyes off the road.

And more importantly, car needs to be operated without looking for more often than a phone.

IMO the Tesla's touchscreen interface would be pretty near impossible without the tactile steering wheel buttons. With the steering wheel interface many things can be accomplished while driving without looking too much... the instrument cluster screen in your field of view is an important part of the versatility of the steering wheel interface too - we shall see how Model 3 operates without it.

People who lived through the cell phone revolution might think "touchscreen = better" since that was the case with phones, but cars are not phones.

I still don't think that way about phones. Don't get me wrong, I think a great touchscreen is very useful, but a "Galaxy S8 keyboard" with a pull-out physical qwerty keyboard underneath for those moments you need to post on TMC :) would definitely get a purchase from me... I think it is too bad the revolution with smartphones was too complete.

I fear a bit Model 3 might lead us that way with cars as well... We'll survive, but doesn't mean I'll like it...

And more importantly, car needs to be operated without looking for more often than a phone

The only things I can operate on my car without having to actually look at them are the things that are controlled by the stalks on the steering column (cruise control, wipers, high beams). Everything else I need to at least glance at. I don't see the model 3 being much different, maybe that's just me though.

Test driving the S is what made me cancel mine. Or rather more specifically deciding to get an S instead.

A few key things did it for me:
- The active drivers display is one of the best things about the S in my opinion and I think I would miss it too much in the 3.
- I would like to use the S for family trips instead of our Hyundai SantaFe. The 3 would not be large enough for road trips for us and our two little ones. Particularly the storage space.
- I'm getting impatient on the wait times, especially since the news that the AWD would be even further delayed.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
The only things I can operate on my car without having to actually look at them are the things that are controlled by the stalks on the steering column (cruise control, wipers, high beams). Everything else I need to at least glance at. I don't see the model 3 being much different, maybe that's just me though.

Obviously I can't speak for you, but IMO there are a lot of things people in general control in their cars without looking at them:

- radio channel
- music volume
- temperature (this is hard on a Tesla, though you can put some things on the steering wheel)
- seat heating and ventilation (hard on a Tesla too)
- opening sunroof (this too is hard on a Tesla)

Usually these can be done without looking away from driving...

Reactions: slipnslider