Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do? Dog locked in charging MS...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This afternoon at the SC in Gilroy, a dog was locked in a charging MS with all of the windows rolled up and the roof completely closed. Black MS in the sun - air temp was around 80F - no sound evidence of the AC running...

What would you do?

I spoke with other owners parked charging their Telsas, and no one had a clue where the owner went. After 20 minutes, I walked to the closed retail store and asked the manager to call the Mall Security and report this abuse. 10 minutes later Mall Security arrived and we handed the situation to him and left...
Dog.jpg

Did the dog seem to be in distress? Panting, etc.?

It's possible the owner did leave the AC on and it wasn't running because the cabin was at the right temperature.

Also possible that the owner left the AC on but didn't know it would turn off after a certain time.

Hope doggy was ok! You did the right thing letting security know. I've left my pups in the car at a supercharger before while I use the restroom and grab something to eat, and I'm always paranoid that the a/c would shut itself off, or that the app would suddenly lose connection to the car. I'll bet most people have no idea that happens. Does the app notify you if it shuts off?

I actually don't think the a/c should auto shut off ever. The app should just notify you every 30 min that it's still on and ask if you want to shut it off.

I saw this "poster" on Facebook:
13912766_10210615987020274_7725366525803914291_n.jpg

Also I was informed about Penal Code § 597.7: SB 1806 Senate Bill - CHAPTERED

I think I did the right thing by contacting Mall Security. Friends of mine said I should have called the police instead, as leaving a dog in a closed car in the sun is a crime.

Assuming the AC was silently working for the 20->30 minutes that we were there, then clearly the owner should have left a note on the dashboard with his/her cell phone number or even told other owners parked charging, "Hey, I left my dog with the AC running - I'm over at In'n Out to get a burger - back in 10 min" - or something like that. Seriously, the owner could have done something more to show responsibility.

• Informative
Reactions: Joelc
As a dog owner who takes her with me on rides from time to time, I am interested in how this is going to play out nationwide, and how the media is going to treat this.
Let's take a typical, and not-altogether impossible scenario:

A) dog in car, temperature is "too hot" as defined by the do-gooder. The dog is not exhibiiting any sign of heat distress. They break the window anyway to "rescue" the dog. Then what?

A1) You come back to a car with a broken window, and your dog sure is happy to see you after fending off a "burglar."

A2) You come back, the window is broken, and the dog has been "stolen."

A3) You come back, and the do-gooder is screaming bloody murder and wants to sue you because the dog bit him as he tried to pull the dog out of the car.

A4) You come back, the dog tried to escape the "burglar," and has run off to who-knows-where.

A5) You come back, the dog has escaped the do-gooder, and hit by a passing car.

A6) You come back, the car's window is broken, the do-gooder has your dog, and the media is there filming you as a bad owner. It 70 degrees and no official Law Enforcement Officer anywhere.

- - -

Now let's try something different.
Scenario (A) as above, but substitute "10-year old daughter" for "dog."

B1) You come back, the window is broken, and your daughter is with some stranger / child molester and your daughter screaming her head off.

B2) You come back, the window is broken, your daughter has been kidnapped.

B3) You come back, the window is broken. There is a dead man on the pavement next to your car. Your daughter shot the burglar / child molester with the gun in the glove compartment (this is is Texas).

B4) The do-gooder / burglar / child molester isn't dead yet.

B6) You come back, the car's window is broken, child services has your daughter, the media (or bystanders with their iPhones uploading to Facebook) are filming you as a bad parent. Again, it's 70 degrees and no LEO to be seen.

:
:

Oh, and some of scenario B has *already* occurred.

I hope you get the idea. There are -way- too many people that think they know better than you as to how to run your life in every detail.
Laws like these always create more problems than they solve.

I think I'd call Tesla first.

The reason is they know who is plugged in, and they can probably call the owner. Or if they can't reach the owner they might be able to see if the AC is on. Some owners might not realize that the AC turns off after 30 min. So the owner may have unintentionally put their dog in a bad situation.

For dog owners that have a Tesla it's probably a good idea to have a sign, and contact info.

I think I'd call Tesla first.

The reason is they know who is plugged in, and they can probably call the owner. Or if they can't reach the owner they might be able to see if the AC is on. Some owners might not realize that the AC turns off after 30 min. So the owner may have unintentionally put their dog in a bad situation.

For dog owners that have a Tesla it's probably a good idea to have a sign, and contact info.

I think calling Tesla is the best answer, other than a sign. A sign says the owner knows, and cares.

Reactions: PtG62901
We always put up signs. One on the windshield and several on windows. Can't miss them. Includes usual(ev, ac on, dog fine, remotely monitored). Also include cell phone number.

Still didn't stop someone from calling the cops. Luckily wife saw the cops. She showed them app and he briefly checked the interior himself.