Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What year did Tesla stopped allowing options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to know what year did Tesla start selling Model S cars without the ability to pick your own options? I'm perusing auto sale sites and wanted to know after which year does it not matter to be concerned about options anymore.

Thanks in advance!

I'd say it was with the Raven refresh (mid-2019) but options were phased out over time. For example, the sunroof and rear facing seats were removed as available options in 2018.

I remember seeing a site/listing of changes offered over the years and that would be a good reference point as to when certain features became standard.

I'd say it was with the Raven refresh (mid-2019) but options were phased out over time. For example, the sunroof and rear facing seats were removed as available options in 2018.

I remember seeing a site/listing of changes offered over the years and that would be a good reference point as to when certain features became standard.

So is it a safe bet to say 2020+ models were all same options minus exterior color, interior color, and wheels? I thought at some point you just bought long range or performance or plaid; and they all came fully loaded with "all" options meaning you no longer could pick.

I'm curious to know what year did Tesla start selling Model S cars without the ability to pick your own options? I'm perusing auto sale sites and wanted to know after which year does it not matter to be concerned about options anymore.

Thanks in advance!
It was in July 2018 when the Premium Upgrade Pkg (high fidelity audio, sub zero, HEPA, etc.) became standard.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nickos
It was in July 2018 when the Premium Upgrade Pkg (high fidelity audio, sub zero, HEPA, etc.) became standard.

Thank you!

We're there any bespoke "options" prior to the 2018 standardization that went away? Like sunroof, plus suspension, executive seats, third row seating, FUSC, etc. Anything rare or offbeat that would attract new buyers to go older and not necessarily newer.

There was a lot of customizations that could be done early on. Green and brown exteriors were options. There were like 12 different kind of wood trims available.

I miss those days. I used to think that green was kind of a stupid color to get a MS in. But now I like how unusual it is. There's only 5 colors now. It's like ordering an iphone.

Thank you!

We're there any bespoke "options" prior to the 2018 standardization that went away? Like sunroof, plus suspension, executive seats, third row seating, FUSC, etc. Anything rare or offbeat that would attract new buyers to go older and not necessarily newer.
Besides the Premium Upgrades Package, the only other "options" prior to mid-2018 were: sunroof, interior color (black was free, white / cream cost extra), 21" wheels, and Autopilot (e.g., EAP or FSD at the time). This was for 2017-18. I don't remember when Tesla bundled High Fidelity, Sub Zero, etc. into the Premium Upgrades Package. In earlier years you could pick a few more things individually, such as Air Suspension.

Thank you!

The sunroof and rear facing (third row) seats were removed as options in late 2018. My Model S is somewhat unique as it an early 2019 build but I have both the sunroof and rear facing seats.

Thank you!

There were a variety of options available on the MS prior to 2018 including panoramic glass roof, rear facing seats, parcel shelf, tech package, sound studio package (later ultra high fidelity sound package), subzero weather package, premium interior lighting, premium upgrades package, active air suspension, fog lamps, parking sensors, paint armor, supercharging, AP, EAP, FSD, various interior trim/material and color options, etc.

Tesla changed these options quite a lot, both in terms of availability and how they might have been bundled together with other options into "packages". It can be pretty challenging to compare cars made at different times. They weren't always forthcoming about some of these (one example being when they quietly started adding AP1 hardware to cars in late 2014).

For example when I ordered my Model S 85D in March 2015, it was common for people to add the "tech package" (almost every car was configured with it, but not all of them). Between then and when I took delivery two months later, the tech package was discontinued, and the optional features contained within were variously moved to a "premium package" (I think), made standard, or became standalone features.

I also miss the "build to order" days, but I understand that it could make production and servicing harder.

Bruce.