Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's a better buy, P85D with $20k miles or a new S90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High end specs depreciate faster than the base price of the base model. See for example the Tesla RVG agreement which guarantees 50% of base price and 43% of any options. This is in line with other high end sedans... I would suggest pulling up some examples of Porsche Panamera or BMW 6/7 series for example, compare residuals of the lower cost versions of Jose vehicles and the turbo/M series and you will see the depreciation is worst at the highest end.

High end specs depreciate faster than the base price of the base model. See for example the Tesla RVG agreement which guarantees 50% of base price and 43% of any options. This is in line with other high end sedans... I would suggest pulling up some examples of Porsche Panamera or BMW 6/7 series for example, compare residuals of the lower cost versions of Jose vehicles and the turbo/M series and you will see the depreciation is worst at the highest end.

In this case the OPs performance option is used so it already took the first big hit.

Not that it matters in this case but I thought "base price" referred to the car before options not the base car in the range.ie a P85D with no options would have agreed value of 50% of its value?

OP - a used P85D over a 90D if you prefer performance over range assuming options are the same. A used 85D would be even better value.

In terms of resale value, which will hold its price better. Assuming they are both priced the same right now.

I had a similar choice: Fully loaded CPO P85D with 5K miles vs. 85D brand new with less options at same price.
I had never entertained choosing the P before that car appeared...and I did chose the P85D, but not only for the 'P'.
Less than one year old car with full options will keep its value better than brand new one with less option.
The later will loose 10/20% driving off the lot!
The only caveat in your case is the 20K miles which would have given me pause. 5K miles is significantly lower miles.

Of course, if you're planning to keep the car forever, all this talk about depreciation is useless and the new car is better as it allows for the extended warranty.

I'd buy the 90D. Oh, right: I already did.

0 - 60 of 4.2. Pretty Darn Quick! And then you tell them it's not a "Performance" car, but a Range car. I can get 300 miles driving over 65 mph. I skip Superchargers on trips, or I fill up faster, give the battery better care by not having to run it so low or so high to get where I want.

I don't get to race my car much. I live near too many people, and there are cops who frown. I don't see the advantage of a "P", but I do see the advantage of range and really quick anyway.

Oh, and I have 4 wheel drive. That makes an interesting conversation point with the SUV and truck crowd at the school parking lot.

You are correct about the Tesla RVG and how they calculate it making and options depreciate at 43%. What shocked me is that the only thing that depreciates at 50% is the $70,000 cost of the base Model S70 (rear wheel drive). Going to a 70D adds $5000 and that $5000 depreciates to 43%. If you go all the way up to a P90DL, with no options, it costs $118,000. Only $70,000 of that depreciates to 50% its value while the other $48,000 depreciates to 43% its value. Personally I thing the RVG stinks.