Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyones insurance renewals this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
can someone advise what value should we input in the question 'How much is the car worth'. This is a first time for me where the current price is more that the purchase price. The infotip lists - 'if you had to replace your car with one of the exact same make, model and age, how much would it cost to replace it?

Fact is current price more than the purchase price and it will cost that much higher to replace. However on checking with the insurance company, they have asked to input the purchase price.
Just wanted to check should there be a claim in the future, can the underwriter reject the claim on the grounds that the valuation input was more than the purchase price.

I was also surprised when I first discovered that the NCB only applies to each car (a few years ago ). It'd be a problem if they checked after an accident and then claimed your insurance was invalid...
I have answered every question (including having a second car) honestly. The fact of having a second car is noted on the paperwork. Maybe they just haven't followed up on it.

I have answered every question (including having a second car) honestly. The fact of having a second car is noted on the paperwork. Maybe they just haven't followed up on it.
Not if you stated 9yrs NCB because you didn't have it on the car you were insuring...that relates to the other car. Although I have found that this year neither of my car insurers has asked for NCB proof like they have in previous years when switching - almost as if they are letting folk cheat with intent to catch them out later...( are they that devious?)

Hi,
can someone advise what value should we input in the question 'How much is the car worth'. This is a first time for me where the current price is more that the purchase price. The infotip lists - 'if you had to replace your car with one of the exact same make, model and age, how much would it cost to replace it?

Fact is current price more than the purchase price and it will cost that much higher to replace. However on checking with the insurance company, they have asked to input the purchase price.
Just wanted to check should there be a claim in the future, can the underwriter reject the claim on the grounds that the valuation input was more than the purchase price.
If the insurance company have said to put the purchase price (which is what 99% of them do for normal vehicles AFAIK), then put that.

The underwriter can't reject your claim based on information the insurer specified. As long as you give them the correct purchase price you're fine. With 99% of normal vehicle policies, the value given is just part of the equation to work out the premium, to confirm it's the right vehicle and to help them tackle fraud cases. The figure you're given in the event of a claim is never guaranteed to be that figure, it could be less or more depending on circumstances.

If you wanted the car insured for a specific figure like some collectors or museums do with high value vehicles, you would need to do a bespoke policy via a broker or someone like Adrian Flux but you would be paying far more per year.

Reactions: Durzel and Pajo78
If the insurance company have said to put the purchase price (which is what 99% of them do for normal vehicles AFAIK), then put that.

The underwriter can't reject your claim based on information the insurer specified. As long as you give them the correct purchase price you're fine. With 99% of normal vehicle policies, the value given is just part of the equation to work out the premium, to confirm it's the right vehicle and to help them tackle fraud cases. The figure you're given in the event of a claim is never guaranteed to be that figure, it could be less or more depending on circumstances.

If you wanted the car insured for a specific figure like some collectors or museums do with high value vehicles, you would need to do a bespoke policy via a broker or someone like Adrian Flux but you would be paying far more per year.
Thank you, this helps!
makes sense to go with the purchase price figure.

I'm with flow - I've not had any issues so can't comment on how good they are, but looking & making changes to account is all online and super easy, no rubbish admin fees etc. They're a subsidiary of LV fwiw
Yeah think I'll have to go with them as it's the only one that's remotely close to what I was paying last year. Annoyingly they don't accept business cards, so will need to pay myself outside salary sacrifice which is annoying. Glad you haven't had any issues!

Has anyone asked their insurer if their underwriter is using the recently received Euro NCAP score for the model Y in their premiums yet?

I’d be curious to know if they are and secondly whether it will make a difference as the US safety tests were already very good.

Last year £259, this year £300 but that was for £850 excess. Decided to upgrade to premium to get Europe cover, 2 years new car replacement, better hire car terms, £500 excess, vandalism cover, legal cover, etc at £350/year.

Although I have found that this year neither of my car insurers has asked for NCB proof like they have in previous years when switching - almost as if they are letting folk cheat with intent to catch them out later...( are they that devious?)
I think they share data between each other to valid these things. When my son changed his insurance to DL a few months ago they stated if they cannot verify NCB they will ask for proof - they didn’t come back to him so assume they validated it themselves. They certain share claim information these days.

Last year (Bell): £514.08

no claims, accidents, or change in circumstances

Renewal quote (Bell): £758.27 🙄

Best like for like I could find online via 3 searches was with DriveXpert : £666.41

Next stop in the morning is to see if Bell or my home insurers (Tesco) can beat that.