Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's it really like to own a Tesla in New England?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a list of exactly what I wanted and watched the used cars on the Tesla website for a couple years until my car finally showed up. Having watched YouTube videos and visited forums during that time I was ready for the worst experience possible with Tesla.

So I purchased my used 2016 MS 90D last March, thinking that when I got to Dedham to pick it up it would be scratched, filthy and full of toothpicks, wrappers and empty bottles, and my Tesla rep wouldn't have the time of day for me. The car was so meticulous that I told my rep, who spent about an hour with me going over the car, that it couldn't possibly be my car because I bought a used one. Surprise number one.

Coming from owning Toyotas for the past 20 years, having to have any service is odd. But again I was expecting the worst to be the Tesla normal. I've had service twice, once at the SC for a motor replacement, which took three weeks but I they gave me an S loaner, and once the ranger came out to replace a headlight. Both times. Both times Tesla was communicative and kept me updated without me having to call them about it.

When I have any issues now and email them I don't expect an answer, but one always comes within a 2 or 3 days. Once they even called and pushed an update to me that corrected a minor problem.

Since I bought the car in winter I was pleasantly surprised how the range was extended as the weather warmed up. Now that it's fall and getting colder out it's starting to go down again. I got a little sad seeing 266 miles at 100% the other day when heading out on a road trip. Rated for this model was 294, but I often got more.

Everybody is different and if you don't have the constitution to put up with these types of issues then you may want to wait. Personally I look at it as contributing to and being a part of worldwide up-and-coming change. I love knowing that every mile driven, especially on autopilot, each issue that arises and each bug report made helps the future.

I made a list of exactly what I wanted and watched the used cars on the Tesla website for a couple years until my car finally showed up. Having watched YouTube videos and visited forums during that time I was ready for the worst experience possible with Tesla.

So I purchased my used 2016 MS 90D last March, thinking that when I got to Dedham to pick it up it would be scratched, filthy and full of toothpicks, wrappers and empty bottles, and my Tesla rep wouldn't have the time of day for me. The car was so meticulous that I told my rep, who spent about an hour with me going over the car, that it couldn't possibly be my car because I bought a used one. Surprise number one.

Coming from owning Toyotas for the past 20 years, having to have any service is odd. But again I was expecting the worst to be the Tesla normal. I've had service twice, once at the SC for a motor replacement, which took three weeks but I they gave me an S loaner, and once the ranger came out to replace a headlight. Both times. Both times Tesla was communicative and kept me updated without me having to call them about it.

When I have any issues now and email them I don't expect an answer, but one always comes within a 2 or 3 days. Once they even called and pushed an update to me that corrected a minor problem.

Since I bought the car in winter I was pleasantly surprised how the range was extended as the weather warmed up. Now that it's fall and getting colder out it's starting to go down again. I got a little sad seeing 266 miles at 100% the other day when heading out on a road trip. Rated for this model was 294, but I often got more.

Everybody is different and if you don't have the constitution to put up with these types of issues then you may want to wait. Personally I look at it as contributing to and being a part of worldwide up-and-coming change. I love knowing that every mile driven, especially on autopilot, each issue that arises and each bug report made helps the future.

Wonderful report! Congratulations on your choice, and "Happy Motoring"!

Reactions: Cape Coddess
Thanks for all the contributions in this thread! I am going to continue to sit on the fence for now. With these cold and wet/snizzly/snowing mornings, I can't imaging messing around with non framed windows and those door handles. I also think the 2 hours to Dedham/Watertown would drive me nuts if I had a problematic car. Our Toyota van just had a class action on the automatic doors (mine broke) and I can take it to a dealer 15 minutes away. They picked up the phone, scheduled me in at my convenience, and are giving me a loaner. So I will wait for things with Tesla to improve, or for another viable EV. The ETron was compelling until I looked over at the Audi forums. It seems as though they have a lot of growing pains!

With these cold and wet/snizzly/snowing mornings, I can't imaging messing around with non framed windows and those door handles
Honestly, with a little forethought to preheating this could all have been a non-issue: I really want to love my MX but...

Even though it is not close, our nearest Service centers have a better reputation than the one Jim deals with

Reactions: JWardell
With these cold and wet/snizzly/snowing mornings, I can't imaging messing around with non framed windows and those door handles.
I'll add this has never been an issue with my S. Even with 1/8 of ice on the car, the handles easily punch through it. Non-framed windows are very common; 4 of the last 5 cars I've owned have had them (04 Mini, 04 911, 06 Outback, 14 S). Granted, the 911 doesn't leave the garage in the winter, and the Outback doesn't retract the windows to clear the roof overhang when opening the door, but I've never had an issue with the Mini or Tesla in 12 MA/NH winters.

Even if the S windows are frozen and won't retract, you can open/close the door gently. Slamming the door can get you in trouble, but 15-20 minutes of pre-heating will thaw the windows.

As to service, pretty much every issue I've had in the last 2 years has been handled by mobile service in my driveway. I did have an alignment and a warranty replacement done on my drive unit while in for an annual service, but that's it.

it wasn't mention if you had a garage. If so, 1/2 of your winter concerns go away. Without, you can still pre condition the vehicle. Using teslafi, you can even run a schedule so at any time you set, the car will be warm and ready while you are hooked to shore power. This will also help with range while driving.
The other thoughts are waiting as mention will only be to your best interest. By next year, we'll see what the Pickup looks like and what it can do in the snow. The model Y will be out with real data on how it handles cold weather. While station at the Naval War College years ago, you learn winter doesn't last all year. Spring and Fall are great times of the season to be driving on the lovely New England road ways. There is no better way to enjoy the drive than driving a Tesla.

Recently had an issue with my 3 after a rainstorm and a quick freeze. There was no glaze on the car,
but all the mechanisms (trunk, door handles, windows, side mirror) were frozen stuck. I managed to get
the doors open (big mistake), attempting to close them scratched the trim...applying heat for 15 minutes
or so thawed things out. I normally park in my garage but was unable to that night...

Even if the S windows are frozen and won't retract, you can open/close the door gently. Slamming the door can get you in trouble, but 15-20 minutes of pre-heating will thaw the windows.

With all due respect, I do not know how you can open/close the doors if the window won't retract. In my first winter with the S, I did pull open the door with the window frozen in place (once or maybe twice, until I learned the lesson), and indeed it will bend over and pull out of the upper gasket. But I was not able to close the door properly, because the window ended up on the outside of the gasket, either forcing it outward at what looked like an unhealthy angle, or preventing the door from latching. So at least in my experience, I would still counsel not to open a door without getting the ice of the glass -- it could lead to a situation with a door you cannot close. Maybe your Model S is from a different year and works differently? (Mine is a 2015.)

With all due respect, I do not know how you can open/close the doors if the window won't retract. In my first winter with the S, I did pull open the door with the window frozen in place (once or maybe twice, until I learned the lesson), and indeed it will bend over and pull out of the upper gasket. But I was not able to close the door properly, because the window ended up on the outside of the gasket, either forcing it outward at what looked like an unhealthy angle, or preventing the door from latching. So at least in my experience, I would still counsel not to open a door without getting the ice of the glass -- it could lead to a situation with a door you cannot close. Maybe your Model S is from a different year and works differently? (Mine is a 2015.)
Yes, I'm not sure why my experience seems to be different. When I open the door with the glass stuck, it bends in a little to pop under the trim. When I close it (at least while standing outside), it seems to "snap" under the trim (probably not a good idea, though). Maybe my window is slightly shorter, or doesn't snug up as tightly? Or my roof trim is different? I'm not sure. But it hasn't prevented me from going anywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Thanks for all the contributions in this thread! I am going to continue to sit on the fence for now. With these cold and wet/snizzly/snowing mornings, I can't imaging messing around with non framed windows and those door handles. I also think the 2 hours to Dedham/Watertown would drive me nuts if I had a problematic car. Our Toyota van just had a class action on the automatic doors (mine broke) and I can take it to a dealer 15 minutes away. They picked up the phone, scheduled me in at my convenience, and are giving me a loaner. So I will wait for things with Tesla to improve, or for another viable EV. The ETron was compelling until I looked over at the Audi forums. It seems as though they have a lot of growing pains!

Please don't get hung up on the small nitpicks, overall this is by far the most enjoyable car I've ever had in the winter, and nearly trouble-free.

A lot of that comes with the ability to pre-heat. Even with just a few minutes of time, a few taps of your phone gives you a nice warm car to walk out to, and windows that are melted and defrosted, yet no worry of an idling gas engine poisoning your driveway.

I haven't had any issues with handles or windows sticking last winter, despite snow and encased in ice. I HAVE had these problems on several other cars, as it is somewhat common issue with frameless windows which are commonly used on many vehicles. But I was never able to preheat the others without stepping out into the weather and chiseling my ways in.

The Tesla is much more enjoyable experience to drive in great weather as well as the worst winter storm. Your only regret will be the time you wasted sitting on the fence :)

As other folks have said, yes there are issues but you are overblowing them.

I wish I had a larger battery, but I didn’t want to spend the money at the time, and to be honest do not regret getting the 75D. Battery life in the winter is much lower, my 259 mile original range has dropped to 248. Subtract another 20% for a discharge from 90-10% and I am down to 198. In the summer I’ll get somewhat more than this, an in the winter much less.

Does it bother me, no. The car is warm when I get in it (so frameless windows are not an issue) and it is so easy to charge over night.

The car handles terrifically in the snow (I do have snow tires).
Good luck with your decision, I’ve not regretted my for one moment.

Reactions: Bobbo8
With these cold and wet/snizzly/snowing mornings, I can't imaging messing around with non framed windows and those door handles.

My Subaru has frameless windows, and it has never ever been a problem. I've owned it since 2005. In my opinion, the people complaining about this sort of thing are crazy. Scrape your windows like every other human being in the colder climates does, and everything works fine. Would you not buy a Honda because you can't roll your frozen window down to go through the Dunkin's drive through?

And like others have said, mere minutes of pre-conditioning resolves this. The defrosting air is aimed directly at the windows to melt around the seals and base quickly, and that feature was added last year.

I also think the 2 hours to Dedham/Watertown would drive me nuts if I had a problematic car.

I went to Watertown once ever. It was to pick up an extra cable rather than having them ship it to me. Remote service has come to me once to put on my spoiler and fix a minor interior issue. I have a local shop do my annual inspection and winter/summer wheel swap. There's basically no reason to go to Tesla's service stations in most cases.

Our Toyota van just had a class action on the automatic doors (mine broke) and I can take it to a dealer 15 minutes away.

Now just imagine driving zero minutes, and them coming to you to perform service.

They picked up the phone

Tesla's probably busy inventing some other way to communicate rather than phones. :D But seriously, they need to figure out how the hell to answer customers.

and are giving me a loaner.

What, you don't want Uber credits?

The ETron was compelling until I looked over at the Audi forums. It seems as though they have a lot of growing pains!

I'm extremely curious what about the étron was compelling?

Regarding frameless windows and ICE: in my case there was no ice on the windows, it was inside the doors only so there was no indication of a problem.

I test drove an eTron at an EV event in September. The dashboard and controls are so cluttered!!! The maps don't show traffic unless you have a destination programmed. It was a competent EV with a good feel, not as much UMPH as a Tesla. Me and another Tesla owner (he has an X) almost managed to roll it on an on-ramp, that was not something you'd ever feel in a Tesla.

So I went tire kicking in Dedham on a work trip and inquired about a used Model X that was at that location. I had heard that they are actually stored off site and this turned out to be true. So I was unable to even look at the car, let alone get a test drive. I was told that the first time I would see it would be when signing the paperwork.... in NY! And without a test drive. Do they not ship used cars for home delivery? The sales people in Dedham were nice enough but I am definitely not going to buy a $60k car without a test drive. I would want to go over the car and look for all the problem areas mentioned on these boards, and I am definitely not driving 6 hours to be told they will "fix it" and drive 6 hours back.

Edit: And yes, I do realize that the MA sales tax issue is the root problem for delivery.