Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really want to love my MX but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service issues are inexcusable. However, your issues with the cold weather are not new. There have been many YT videos about preparation for cold weather in your Tesla. I believe there have posts on this forum about the same. I live in NW Florida and we are expecting temps in the mid 20's after thunderstorms as the weather moves through. I already know to keep my car plugged in so I can up the SOC in the AM to prep the battery and to start the heater. And my car sits outside too. Simple steps to avoid what you went through in the AM. And all published in various places about the Model X. Might be good to spend more time researching and you can increase your satisfaction to complaints ratio.

Unfortunately all of the door issues could have been solved by using framed windows like everyone else and regular door handles (and perhaps getting rid of electronic latches too). This is one of the major issues preventing me from pulling the trigger on a Tesla (and the service). I really hope the truck has normal handles and framed doors!

*sigh*

I have had none of these issues in the cold, but I have a garage. That said, consider pre-warming the vehicle...and brushing off the snow before you try to get into the vehicle. I have to be honest, but I feel like brushing off the snow is common sense.

Also, I turn off auto-close open for the mirrors in the winter...this also seems like common sense...and what you should do with any vehicle with motorized mirrors.

The clunk is normal...it has to do with moisture and the parking brake.

I feel like this is a very good video for people new to driving luxury vehicles in the winter.

*sigh*

I have had none of these issues in the cold, but I have a garage. That said, consider pre-warming the vehicle...and brushing off the snow before you try to get into the vehicle. I have to be honest, but I feel like brushing off the snow is common sense.

Also, I turn off auto-close open for the mirrors in the winter...this also seems like common sense...and what you should do with any vehicle with motorized mirrors.

The clunk is normal...it has to do with moisture and the parking brake.

I feel like this is a very good video for people new to driving luxury vehicles in the winter.

I tend to agree.

On ANY car with Auto dropdown windows I clean the windows and make sure they are free or I remote start it and let it warm up a bit before opening.

I never use Auto Folding on any car. Just a new problem begging to happen. Why Auto Fold in your driveway outside?

I also garage my cars, Winter is brutal on any car parked outside.

I agree brakes seizing if parked wet is normal. But the Video implied it happened again a few minutes later, that should not happen.

Some times 1" storm at the "wrong" temps can be much worse than 2 feet of snow at the right temps. If the snow melts on contact then freezes it's hard on anything that moves. If the snow started at 15F he probably would have had less issues.

Sorry but I found the Video a complete waste of time, waiting to hear this horrendous Service problem and it was just one misunderstanding of an appoint that was rescheduled and not notified. I get notifications on my phone as appointments near and check my phone as it's near. When he didn't show up did he check his phone App?

I tend to agree.

On ANY car with Auto dropdown windows I clean the windows and make sure they are free or I remote start it and let it warm up a bit before opening.

I never use Auto Folding on any car. Just a new problem begging to happen. Why Auto Fold in your driveway outside?

I also garage my cars, Winter is brutal on any car parked outside.

I agree brakes seizing if parked wet is normal. But the Video implied it happened again a few minutes later, that should not happen.

Some times 1" storm at the "wrong" temps can be much worse than 2 feet of snow at the right temps. If the snow melts on contact then freezes it's hard on anything that moves. If the snow started at 15F he probably would have had less issues.

Sorry but I found the Video a complete waste of time, waiting to hear this horrendous Service problem and it was just one misunderstanding of an appoint that was rescheduled and not notified. I get notifications on my phone as appointments near and check my phone as it's near. When he didn't show up did he check his phone App?
I totally agree. My first car was an 87 300zx. Had pop up headlights. They had a switch inside especially for cold weather that would leave them up. Common sense is right.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I also wouldn’t have opened the FWD with all that ice on just to see if it would indeed open. Even on my old ICE cars if the snow/ice is covering the car, I cant open my doors even with pulling the handle. I remote start and let warm and remove as much of the snow/ice as possible before I try to get in. I can’t imagine it being any different in the X.

I watched the video and do sympathize with the OP. Ive been through 1 winter so far with my X in Chicago and I was ok, but I garage both the X and 3. My first thought was why didn't you scrape the snow/ice off the windows, than it hit me... you would usually open the door, pullout ice scraper, than clear :(

I have had to knock the windows before to free them up to get them to drop. I've also had to do that on the 3 with the door handles. I agree with some of the other posters, hopefully the Truck wont be frame less windows. They do impact those of us in the colder climates and if you ever run out of battery/suddenly stall out, it can be impossible to get out of the car if there is no electrical system.