Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Normal Front Motor Sound for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not 100% sure. My invoice says "Verified customer concern of high pitch whining noise. Found noise coming from battery penthouse. Replaced seal and performed coolant purge. Updated firmware and found noise no longer present. Verified proper operation". Hope that helps. Sounds like the seal was bad, not missing. In any case, they got right to it and fixed it. Keep on top of them as it should be documented in their system. Shoot, tell them to call the Portland service center and ask them about it :)

That is helpful! Thank you very much. I told my wife about this post and literally said I was going to tell them to call Portland.

Alas, still no fix. They continue to claim it's normal. I stood outside and had a 15 minute conversation with the service manager and lead tech. The service manager was understanding, but unaware of how a lot of things are fixed in general. If I hear "it's a characteristic of the car" one time, I may lose my actual $h!t. I asked the tech if they checked the seal and he said: "It's there and properly installed". I left the conversation stating that I'm not satisfied and this will result in a buy back if not resolved. They both didn't flinch at the statement, although the service manager advised they will work with me if I choose to go that route. I don't. I just want it fixed. But will if I have to.

I also asked if anyone else had complained, and the response was not to their knowledge. Shouldn't that be a huge red flag that it's isolated?

I then went and drove a demo at the Tesla store. It exibited what I would consider standard noises. I then took matter in to my own hands and checked myself by removing the lower rear seat cushions. The seal is there, but clearly not installed properly. See attached images that I captured showing how horribly misaligned it is.

Sent an email to the service manager with the evidence and pending a response.

My seal was completely missing, but I've also heard of other instances of it either being faulty or installed incorrectly.

Exactly. That's what I stated several times during our conversation. It's not there or not right. It's a $44.00 seal. Yes, it's work to replace it, but seriously. You'd rather have a car bought back then replace a seal? I already did the troubleshooting, just fix it it.

Attachments

• PXL_20201119_135649019.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20201119_135649019.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 912
  • PXL_20201119_135721654~2.jpg
    PXL_20201119_135721654~2.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 322
  • PXL_20201119_135743509.jpg
    PXL_20201119_135743509.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 324
That is helpful! Thank you very much. I told my wife about this post and literally said I was going to tell them to call Portland.

Alas, still no fix. They continue to claim it's normal. I stood outside and had a 15 minute conversation with the service manager and lead tech. The service manager was understanding, but unaware of how a lot of things are fixed in general. If I hear "it's a characteristic of the car" one time, I may lose my actual $h!t. I asked the tech if they checked the seal and he said: "It's there and properly installed". I left the conversation stating that I'm not satisfied and this will result in a buy back if not resolved. They both didn't flinch at the statement, although the service manager advised they will work with me if I choose to go that route. I don't. I just want it fixed. But will if I have to.

I also asked if anyone else had complained, and the response was not to their knowledge. Shouldn't that be a huge red flag that it's isolated?

I then went and drove a demo at the Tesla store. It exibited what I would consider standard noises. I then took matter in to my own hands and checked myself by removing the lower rear seat cushions. The seal is there, but clearly not installed properly. See attached images that I captured showing how horribly misaligned it is.

Exactly. That's what I stated several times during our conversation. It's not there or not right. It's a $44.00 seal. Yes, it's work to replace it, but seriously. You'd rather have a car bought back then replace a seal? I already did the troubleshooting, just fix it it.

The seal is not the cost driver here, the labor is. They have to drop the battery to replace it. My seal appeared to be properly installed but they replaced it anyway. Made no difference, so I pursued the buyback.

Agreed and understood, however, they have no choice since this is a customer satisfaction issue.

Spend the time attempting a fix which could solve the issue, which is what they are supposed to do regardless, or face a buy back.

If I end up being forced to go with the latter, and you don't mind sharing some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Agreed and understood, however, they have no choice since this is a customer satisfaction issue.

Spend the time attempting a fix which could solve the issue, which is what they are supposed to do regardless, or face a buy back.

If I end up being forced to go with the latter, and you don't mind sharing some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Definitely. PM me if you get to that point.

Thank goodness I found this thread. I just brought my MY in for the second time because of this high pitch beeping sound. It starts from about 60km to 75km. I’m from Markham, Ontario. Car was picked up end of September and already noticed this weird noise. I took it in service on Oct. 15 together with other issues. They told me that the noise is normal EV engine. Then I got too annoyed by it and brought it in the second time on November 23. Same answer. Then I found this thread and I immediately scheduled another service appointment telling them what the problem might be. This time they are sending a mobile technician over this Sunday to take a look. Will update after the appointment. I really think that these service centers are pure lazy and didn’t want to dig into the issue to try to solve customers complaints.

Thank goodness I found this thread. I just brought my MY in for the second time because of this high pitch beeping sound. It starts from about 60km to 75km. I’m from Markham, Ontario. Car was picked up end of September and already noticed this weird noise. I took it in service on Oct. 15 together with other issues. They told me that the noise is normal EV engine. Then I got too annoyed by it and brought it in the second time on November 23. Same answer. Then I found this thread and I immediately scheduled another service appointment telling them what the problem might be. This time they are sending a mobile technician over this Sunday to take a look. Will update after the appointment. I really think that these service centers are pure lazy and didn’t want to dig into the issue to try to solve customers complaints.

The simple reason, they don't care enough. I'm sorry that you're dealing with the same nonsense of them humming the same tune.

I know the feeling all too well.

Reactions: Tim42069
Any update?

Picked up yesterday MY-LRAWD VIN 131xxx to replace our last gas vehicle and complement my P3D+.

Hearing exactly the same ultra high-frequency piercing/shrill “dentists drill” almost identical to OP’s. Sometimes it is constant, sometimes it sounds more like pulsing or beeping. Yes I get “electric motor” sounds - I already have a Tesla.

It’s wearing to the point of being really irritating at higher speeds. I toyed with the idea of writing unbearable, it sounded too dramatic but I think I would not take it on a long freeway journey because it wears at you.

Happens:
- generally at or over 36-37mph.
- small changes in acceleration at freeway speeds e.g. from 65-70mph
- sometimes at freeway and lower speeds under sustained increases in load e.g. going up hill to sustain 50mph
- to sustain higher speeds on the freeway e.g happens almost constantly at over 70mph

Neither the test drive LRAWD, my P3D+ nor any of friends Tesla’s do this.

Read lots of a few similar threads, I’ve already signaled that I’m not happy to my SC rep. Going in next week.

I've noticed there's a faint high-pitched whining noise coming from the front at around 48mph. It seems like there's a very narrow band (~47-49mph) where I can hear it and it disappears otherwise. I don't hear it when I'm flooring it.

Note that I'm almost always playing music so I don't hear it.

Picked up yesterday MY-LRAWD VIN 131xxx to replace our last gas vehicle and complement my P3D+.

Hearing exactly the same ultra high-frequency piercing/shrill “dentists drill” almost identical to OP’s. Sometimes it is constant, sometimes it sounds more like pulsing or beeping. Yes I get “electric motor” sounds - I already have a Tesla.

It’s wearing to the point of being really irritating at higher speeds. I toyed with the idea of writing unbearable, it sounded too dramatic but I think I would not take it on a long freeway journey because it wears at you.

Happens:
- generally at or over 36-37mph.
- small changes in acceleration at freeway speeds e.g. from 65-70mph
- sometimes at freeway and lower speeds under sustained increases in load e.g. going up hill to sustain 50mph
- to sustain higher speeds on the freeway e.g happens almost constantly at over 70mph

Neither the test drive LRAWD, my P3D+ nor any of friends Tesla’s do this.

Read lots of a few similar threads, I’ve already signaled that I’m not happy to my SC rep. Going in next week.
Hi, did you ever get this resolved? It looks like even the newer production cars are still having this problem. They haven’t ironed out this kink yet.

Did you ever get the seal replaced? If so did it stop the noise?

Just wanted to update. After having the missing seal replaced, I opened up the rear seat to reattach the seat heater wire guides. I took some pictures of the repaired penthouse cover and don’t see any foam or seal visible. It seems that the cover itself would overhang the seal area enough that it wouldn’t be visible from above. Just FYI.
So if the seal is installed properly then you won't see it at all?

Have any of you guys attempted to remove the back seat and add sound deadening foam or panels to reduce the noise. I noticed when I fold my back seats down the noise is reduced some what. I have an appointment next week at the SC. My last Model Y never made a sound.

Have any of you guys attempted to remove the back seat and add sound deadening foam or panels to reduce the noise. I noticed when I fold my back seats down the noise is reduced some what. I have an appointment next week at the SC. My last Model Y never made a sound.
Search for the thread entitled 'Ear Pain...' - it's very large but a lot of folks on that thread added sound deadening material to their MY.