Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Normal Front Motor Sound for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new tesla y, which i sold my tesla s 100d to buy this new y. I love it, but the same HIGH dental pitch noise from 40-60 mph. Doesn’t matter if I am accelerating or decelerating its constant and if I roll down the window by a build - OH MY GOD its loud. I already have taken the car to the tesla Lancaster PA location. Now I am going to Tesla Delaware location tomorrow. I cannot drive without getting a head ache. My children refuse to ride in the car with it this way. Horribly situation and I need help.

I have the same issue. MY delivered end of October 2021. It is not very loud but very annoying. I first noticed it at 70mph, pretty constant also noticeable with small changes in acceleration at that speed. Any new solutions? I dread having to deal with this, being called crazy or told that it‘s normal…

Have any of you guys attempted to remove the back seat and add sound deadening foam or panels to reduce the noise. I noticed when I fold my back seats down the noise is reduced some what. I have an appointment next week at the SC. My last Model Y never made a sound.

I have in my 2018 M3 RWD (17xxx). It helped immensely, but it is still there, but I have to be actively listening for it.

For me just throwing a blanket over the back seat strapped to the floor was noticably different because high frequency noises are easier to block.

I insulated the crap out of the area with 3 layers of sound absorbing and sound blocking material.

That was in 2018 when Tesla said it was "normal" (although other 2018 M3 cars did not exhibit the same issue). I have not yet checked the perimeter seal or grounding strap.

We also have a 2021 Y AWD that does not have this issue.

That is helpful! Thank you very much. I told my wife about this post and literally said I was going to tell them to call Portland.

Alas, still no fix. They continue to claim it's normal. I stood outside and had a 15 minute conversation with the service manager and lead tech. The service manager was understanding, but unaware of how a lot of things are fixed in general. If I hear "it's a characteristic of the car" one time, I may lose my actual $h!t. I asked the tech if they checked the seal and he said: "It's there and properly installed". I left the conversation stating that I'm not satisfied and this will result in a buy back if not resolved. They both didn't flinch at the statement, although the service manager advised they will work with me if I choose to go that route. I don't. I just want it fixed. But will if I have to.

I also asked if anyone else had complained, and the response was not to their knowledge. Shouldn't that be a huge red flag that it's isolated?

I then went and drove a demo at the Tesla store. It exibited what I would consider standard noises. I then took matter in to my own hands and checked myself by removing the lower rear seat cushions. The seal is there, but clearly not installed properly. See attached images that I captured showing how horribly misaligned it is.

Sent an email to the service manager with the evidence and pending a response.

Exactly. That's what I stated several times during our conversation. It's not there or not right. It's a $44.00 seal. Yes, it's work to replace it, but seriously. You'd rather have a car bought back then replace a seal? I already did the troubleshooting, just fix it it.

Wow, based on these pics I am definitely missing the perimeter seal since 2018. Had to rip out some of my sound blocker to get to this area but now I know, SC scheduled.

My car is at the SC again for this and a handful of other non-trivial fit & finish issues. They took a recording of my cabin and sent it off to "Tesla Engineering" for analysis. They also noted that my penthouse perimeter seal appears to be in place and properly installed. It's not clear what, if any, other seals or material were inspected prior to the recording. They haven't indicated when the car will be returned.

General observation:

My service advisor has put considerable time and effort into managing my expectations downward, so I fully expect that Tesla Engineering will conclude the noise is "within limits". If you're patient and persistent, you can cut through their concerted and well rehearsed efforts to gaslight you (ex. "What gaps?"), but does that mean your concerns will be addressed to your satisfaction? I'd love to be wrong, but all available evidence suggests that I'm going to be thoroughly disappointed. Will update when the car is returned.
Did you ever get this figured out? I’ve had this high pitched whine from what seems like the front drivers side, since I took possession. After 4 service visits and 3 months of working on diagnosing, they are telling me it’s within specs. Basically, its not annoying enough for them to figure out. It’s very frustrating since every other Tesla I’ve driven does not have this high pitched whine. It makes driving my car unbearable.

Any help is appreciated.

Did you ever get this figured out? I’ve had this high pitched whine from what seems like the front drivers side, since I took possession. After 4 service visits and 3 months of working on diagnosing, they are telling me it’s within specs. Basically, its not annoying enough for them to figure out. It’s very frustrating since every other Tesla I’ve driven does not have this high pitched whine. It makes driving my car unbearable.

Any help is appreciated.
I sold my 2020 LR and bought 2021 Performance in hopes it would be better. At first, I thought I struck gold, but quickly realized the infernal whine followed me. Likely another bad seal install.

I had a tech advised on a ride along for a suspension issue (that's still there, but the claim it's normal even though it's only on one side 🙄) that they are aware of the whine and that the engineering team is working or some kind of cover for the rear drive unit to drown out some of the noise. Who knows when that will be a thing though, if ever.

Reactions: jacie6056
I have the similar high pitched whine for my my MYP (mar 2022 build). It's distinct like what others have reported - constant dental drill sound while driving 35-60 while cruising normally (i.e. no preconditioning, not even moderate accel) What's the best advice to address this? I've read about a battery perimeter seal but it sounds a bit invasive having to perform a battery drop.

Are there other ways tesla is addressing short of the seal replacement? For a brand new car, I'm concerned of other problems introduced with this fix.

I have the similar high pitched whine for my my MYP (mar 2022 build). It's distinct like what others have reported - constant dental drill sound while driving 35-60 while cruising normally (i.e. no preconditioning, not even moderate accel) What's the best advice to address this? I've read about a battery perimeter seal but it sounds a bit invasive having to perform a battery drop.

Are there other ways tesla is addressing short of the seal replacement? For a brand new car, I'm concerned of other problems introduced with this fix.
It's either a seal or bad drive unit.

My Model 3 LR RWD did the same thing. They replaced the drive unit and and it's been silent since December 2019. But who am I? 🤷

I sold my 2020 LR and bought 2021 Performance in hopes it would be better. At first, I thought I struck gold, but quickly realized the infernal whine followed me. Likely another bad seal install.

I had a tech advised on a ride along for a suspension issue (that's still there, but the claim it's normal even though it's only on one side 🙄) that they are aware of the whine and that the engineering team is working or some kind of cover for the rear drive unit to drown out some of the noise. Who knows when that will be a thing though, if ever.
So are you going to have them replace the seal on your MYP or wait for this future fix they're working on?