Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best method for getting the least expensive (new) Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that Tesla took the $35,000 base model off of their website only a couple of months after they finally offered it to the public, which was a really shady business move in my opinion. And I know that you can supposedly still get the $35,000 base model if you call your local Tesla dealership and ask for it. But what I'm wondering is if this option truly is available if you call, how long it will take to get delivered if you order it, and how low you can drop the price after tax incentives.

I live in Virginia, and so I can only drop the price to $31,500 due to the $3,500 federal tax incentive for electric cars, right? I'm not missing out on any other incentives, correct?

Thanks a million in advance for any helpful responses.

Yes, you can still get the 35k model, and you can also still get the Long Range Rear Wheel Drive, as well.

The price of the vehicle doesn't go down with the federal tax incentive, it simply reduces your tax liability. On the Tesla website, if you build a model 3, and on the build page, you can set your delivery state, enter it, and it will let you know of incentives and also estimated delivery times.

I know that Tesla took the $35,000 base model off of their website only a couple of months after they finally offered it to the public, which was a really shady business move in my opinion. And I know that you can supposedly still get the $35,000 base model if you call your local Tesla dealership and ask for it. But what I'm wondering is if this option truly is available if you call, how long it will take to get delivered if you order it, and how low you can drop the price after tax incentives.

I don't own one (mine is an LR RWD), but I've seen reports from people who have received the bottom-of-the-line Model 3. In fact, YouTube car reviewer Alex on Autos has a multi-part review of one (two parts, plus a short "I've taken delivery" type of video). Tesla has changed from its original plan of a car with a downgraded interior to delivering the same interior as everything else, but with software limitations to remove some functionality. This means that you're more likely to be able to get one quickly, since it'll just be an SR+, which they may have in stock; they'll just flip a software switch to turn off seat heaters, satellite imagery on maps, etc.

As to delivery time, that's a bit of a gamble. The way it works is that you place an order, then:
  1. If the car you specify (color, etc.) is in stock nearby, you'll be matched to that car and it can be delivered in a matter of days.
  2. If the car you specify is not in stock, then Tesla may offer you a deal on something similar that is in stock. For instance, if you specify a black exterior, and that's not currently available locally, but an otherwise identical car with a blue paint job is available, Tesla is likely to offer that one to you, possibly at the same price as the black, which is a discount since blue costs extra. (At least, that's the way it's worked with higher-level trims. I don't know if they'd be less likely to offer the free paint upgrade on a base SR.)
  3. If you insist on getting exactly the car you wanted, you'll be put on a wait list and get a car from the next shipment to your area with a matching car that isn't already allocated to somebody else. That could be in a few days, in a week or two, or longer, depending on production schedule.
Tesla tries to deliver as many cars as possible in the same quarter in which they're made, which means that production for the first few weeks of a quarter tend to go to overseas markets; then to Canada and the eastern US; then to western US states; and finally to California. I've seen claims that Tesla has moved from overseas to North American production for the current quarter, but I can't confirm that. You can, of course, ask your Tesla salesperson about how long it's likely to take, but I'm not sure the accuracy would be better than you'd get out of a Magic Eight Ball.

I live in Virginia, and so I can only drop the price to $31,500 due to the $3,500 federal tax incentive for electric cars, right? I'm not missing out on any other incentives, correct?

For deliveries (note: deliveries, not orders) through the end of June, the US Federal tax credit is $3750, not $3500. Between July and December of this year, the Federal tax credit drops to $1875, then to $0 starting in 2020. That's a small difference, of course, but I thought I'd mention it. Also, that's a tax credit, so it's not taken off the price you pay up front. At best, you can see it with your next paycheck or estimated tax payment by adjusting your withholding or estimated tax payment; but you might not see it until you file your 2019 taxes in early 2020. Of course, you're likely to pay more in delivery fees ($1200), sales tax, and registration fees than the Federal tax credit is worth.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Just wanted to confirm the $35K model is still available on request. And for those who still have a reservation in place, Tesla is probably harassing you to let you know this. Was in my case until I finally canceled my 3 reservation. According to the lady I talked to last about it, they removed the $35K version off the web site because it actually proved to be less popular than anticipated. The majority of those holding their reservations as long as I did were hold-outs for dual motor or those where the timing didn’t work. In my case it was both. I have a Y reservation now, but not sure about that. Plan was to get the Y and trade or sell our X which would hopefully cover the Y and then get a new X at some point around there. With the new upgrades to the S and X and the special pricing on the top model, I’m seriously tempted to just get a new S or X now while there’s some tax credits left and then keep our existing X until it dies....

Thanks a million in advance for any helpful responses.
Did you think about just calling instead of posting?

You are getting way more car than you are paying for.

Well of course if you use a referral code you get 5k free supercharging miles (until May 28). Anyone here will share their code with you..

BTW I heard a rumor that one important reason the real 35k car didn't show up was the cost/challenges related to certifying the new non-power seats up front... it could make sense I suppose, but also probably easier on the line to just had 1 SKU for interior bits?

As mentioned, the tax credit reduces you 2019 tax liability. You will not "see" this money until you file your 2019 tax return.
It appears that Virginia offer some HOV lane incentives.
I just bought a long-range RWD inventory car that is not configurable on the website but obviously still being produced so call and tell them what you want and they are gong to make it happen. They NEED to sell cars.

Move to Quebec. ~$25kUSD - 8k province - 5k national.
Local (US) sales did not yet know any prices for post purchase upgrades from the base. Maine does not (yet) have any incentives but annual excise tax on sticker price does add up so buying low could save ~$500 (not worth it if planning on FSD since post-purchase price much higher).

• Funny
Reactions: Reeler
For deliveries (note: deliveries, not orders) through the end of June, the US Federal tax credit is $3750, not $3500. Between July and December of this year, the Federal tax credit drops to $1875, then to $0 starting in 2020. That's a small difference, of course, but I thought I'd mention it. Also, that's a tax credit, so it's not taken off the price you pay up front. At best, you can see it with your next paycheck or estimated tax payment by adjusting your withholding or estimated tax payment; but you might not see it until you file your 2019 taxes in early 2020. Of course, you're likely to pay more in delivery fees ($1200), sales tax, and registration fees than the Federal tax credit is worth.

Yep. And I really wish Tesla and other car makers would not market the tax credits as if they come off the top of the purchase price. Everyone’s tax situation is different... As a lot of Model 3 buyers have found out, especially last year with the tax credit at $7500, not everyone can utilize the full amount. When I bought my X, my business had a crappy year... I think I was able to truly utilize about $1200 of that $7500 credit. OTOH, many states offer different forms of tax incentives. Colorado is great as it’s a direct refund incentive. It was $6K at the time, is $5K now. They will credit it toward tax owed and any remainder, even if the full amount, they will send you as a refund check. So I did get that. yay...

The short range M3 isn’t a great value at all. Yeah, people wanted that $35K price tag, but most didn’t go for it once available. Makes a lot more sense to go with the standard range base option available in the online configurator. That’s the low-price sweet spot. And truth be told, the LR dual motor is so worth it if you can make it happen. I’ve test drove one several times and if not for just not needing another car right now, I’d have bought one. ...That and I’m saving up for my new Roadster dream, which probably won’t happen.