Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best option to get a half-year car before I can get the AWD model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That'll be good, thanks!
But how do you think about the option 3? ~$23k for buying a new i3, and resale it after 6 or 12 months?
Anything you buy new and sell (even after a week) - you are going to lose money. Even heavily discounted ones, unless you can find a gullible person.

I liked the option of lease transfer because I know the cost upfront.

BTW, I do think SR AWD is a long way away - not because it is complex, but because Tesla wants to milk as much money as possible in the first couple of years.

Reactions: weibest
I would have totally bought a used Leaf if my wife could handle it. She can't. She likes to step on the peddle which the leaf's range really doesn't handle well...and there are the few days she will push close to the limit and the anxiety would kill her.

BUT, she really doesn't need the 300+ range either nor do we want to spend the money on the forced premium upgrades.

Since she needed a replacement car now, we ended up getting a used Lexus. I find certain models hold their value well...and the deal we got, I hope to sell it in a year and break even. Plus it gets 30+ mpg which isn't too bad. Hopefully my plan works out...

I've already got the invitation for configuring LR model 3 about 2 months ago (model s owner), but I plan to use it mainly for commuting (~20 miles per day) and really don't need that long range, so I'm waiting for mid-year AWD though it's just an Elon time:)
Recently, I need a second car for daily commute (my wife drives the model s), so I'm considering what's the ideal option for getting a half-year car for commute before the AWD 3 come out, did some research and appreciate any comments and opinions!
- Option1: monthly rental via drivecanvas, ~$500/month for a ford fusion, or ~$650 for Mustang (including insurance)
- Option2: take a 6 months lease from swapalease, $400 - $500/month for bmw 3 series, excluding gas and insurance.
- Option3: bmw i3 has a $10k extra discount this month for PG&E customers, just talked to a local dealer and it's possible to get a $46k i3 down to $23k (including tax and all rebates and discounts), if I buy one then sell it after 6 months without much loss, is that possible?
- Option4: just get the long-range model 3 and pay the extra $9k?
Thanks for your advice in advance!
Get the LR model 3.

I agree with others that the AWD SR will be the last car in line, if it ever is produced at all. Not spending money on 6 months to a year of lease/rental, plus not spending money on the AWD that you probably don't need in a place called Sunnyvale, CA makes the LR $9000 go away, so the LR feature is free.

M3LR now.
Several reasons I prefer a AWD:
1) drove a loaner car (model s 75) before, seems my 70D is noticeable stable in freeway with high speed
2) there are several snow areas nearby like Tahoe and Yosemite park.
3) there are about 3 months raining period in bay area every year
4) overall the AWD is safer than others.

I would have totally bought a used Leaf if my wife could handle it. She can't. She likes to step on the peddle which the leaf's range really doesn't handle well...and there are the few days she will push close to the limit and the anxiety would kill her.

BUT, she really doesn't need the 300+ range either nor do we want to spend the money on the forced premium upgrades.

Since she needed a replacement car now, we ended up getting a used Lexus. I find certain models hold their value well...and the deal we got, I hope to sell it in a year and break even. Plus it gets 30+ mpg which isn't too bad. Hopefully my plan works out...

Yes, but do not forget the federal tax rebate seems will be gone after Q3 2018, hope we can get a SR before that...

OP, Dude, i don't get it. Why in the world would you need AWD in sannyvale, ca?
Several reasons I prefer a AWD, but not a must have:
1) drove a loaner car (model s 75) before, seems my 70D is noticeable stable in freeway with high speed
2) there are several snow areas nearby like Tahoe and Yosemite park.
3) there are about 3 months raining period in bay area every year
4) overall the AWD is safer than others.

I've already got the invitation for configuring LR model 3 about 2 months ago (model s owner), but I plan to use it mainly for commuting (~20 miles per day) and really don't need that long range, so I'm waiting for mid-year AWD though it's just an Elon time:)
Recently, I need a second car for daily commute (my wife drives the model s), so I'm considering what's the ideal option for getting a half-year car for commute before the AWD 3 come out, did some research and appreciate any comments and opinions!
- Option1: monthly rental via drivecanvas, ~$500/month for a ford fusion, or ~$650 for Mustang (including insurance)
- Option2: take a 6 months lease from swapalease, $400 - $500/month for bmw 3 series, excluding gas and insurance.
- Option3: bmw i3 has a $10k extra discount this month for PG&E customers, just talked to a local dealer and it's possible to get a $46k i3 down to $23k (including tax and all rebates and discounts), if I buy one then sell it after 6 months without much loss, is that possible?
- Option4: just get the long-range model 3 and pay the extra $9k?
Thanks for your advice in advance!
You may not want to go the EV route since you’d potentially have the tax credits for both EVs in the same year. You’d just want to make sure you have at least $15k of tax liability for the year!