TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's the best option to get a half-year car before I can get the AWD model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by weibest, Mar 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I'm in the 5 year old Leaf camp. It doesn't sound like you need the range, and it'll be cheap and won't lose much value. You might even find yourself keeping it as a local runabout afterwards.

2. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Anything you buy new and sell (even after a week) - you are going to lose money. Even heavily discounted ones, unless you can find a gullible person.

I liked the option of lease transfer because I know the cost upfront.

BTW, I do think SR AWD is a long way away - not because it is complex, but because Tesla wants to milk as much money as possible in the first couple of years.

• Like x 1
  3. derekmw

derekmw Member

I would have totally bought a used Leaf if my wife could handle it. She can't. She likes to step on the peddle which the leaf's range really doesn't handle well...and there are the few days she will push close to the limit and the anxiety would kill her.

BUT, she really doesn't need the 300+ range either nor do we want to spend the money on the forced premium upgrades.

Since she needed a replacement car now, we ended up getting a used Lexus. I find certain models hold their value well...and the deal we got, I hope to sell it in a year and break even. Plus it gets 30+ mpg which isn't too bad. Hopefully my plan works out...

4. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Get the LR model 3.

5. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

Technically I think you're required to keep the car for a a few years to get the CA rebate. Maybe the federal rebate too. Not sure.

6. pjoseph

pjoseph Member

OP, Dude, i don't get it. Why in the world would you need AWD in sannyvale, ca?

7. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Because, I guess, people want to visit nearby skiing areas ?

• Like x 1
  8. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

California requires you to put chains on if there's ANY snow on the road unless you have AWD. Doesn't really make any sense since AWD doesn't help you stop or turn but that's the way it is.
    I've gotten used to AWD on my Subaru. It really helps when making right turns on red too.

9. weibest

weibest Member

Several reasons I prefer a AWD:
    1) drove a loaner car (model s 75) before, seems my 70D is noticeable stable in freeway with high speed
    2) there are several snow areas nearby like Tahoe and Yosemite park.
    3) there are about 3 months raining period in bay area every year
    4) overall the AWD is safer than others.

10. weibest

weibest Member

then how about the maintenance & repairing cost?

11. weibest

weibest Member

Yes, but do not forget the federal tax rebate seems will be gone after Q3 2018, hope we can get a SR before that...

12. weibest

weibest Member

Thanks, need to keep at least 30 months for CA rebate; federal rebate is ok.

13. weibest

weibest Member

Several reasons I prefer a AWD, but not a must have:
    1) drove a loaner car (model s 75) before, seems my 70D is noticeable stable in freeway with high speed
    2) there are several snow areas nearby like Tahoe and Yosemite park.
    3) there are about 3 months raining period in bay area every year
    4) overall the AWD is safer than others.

14. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

On a five year old Leaf? I doubt there would be any worthy of note.

15. Wolverinegeoff

You may not want to go the EV route since you’d potentially have the tax credits for both EVs in the same year. You’d just want to make sure you have at least $15k of tax liability for the year!