Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the proper way to "schedule departure" on random trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In cold weather it's better to preheat battery, as I understand it, with scheduled departure. In the app I see it just sets the same time every day. If I am leaving on trips at random times each day, what's the best way to "preheat" my car? Is simply setting a new time every day the optimal? Very confused about how to use scheduled departure in app... and the fact it keeps changing my time to some random time

In cold weather it's better to preheat battery, as I understand it, with scheduled departure. In the app I see it just sets the same time every day. If I am leaving on trips at random times each day, what's the best way to "preheat" my car? Is simply setting a new time every day the optimal? Very confused about how to use scheduled departure in app... and the fact it keeps changing my time to some random time
If you leave at different times each weekday or all week just skip the Scheduled Departure Preconditioning as it can only be set for a specific departure time (weekdays or all week.)

If you set Scheduled Departure Charging so that charging completes by the end of a real or hypothetical off-peak utility rate window, i.e. 0600 then the battery will be warmed from the charging session. The battery will stay warm for hours. For your comfort you can manually precondition the passenger cabin starting 5 minutes before you are ready to drive.

Reactions: ATPMSD
If you leave at different times each weekday or all week just skip the Scheduled Departure Preconditioning as it can only be set for a specific departure time (weekdays or all week.)

If you set Scheduled Departure Charging so that charging completes by the end of a real or hypothetical off-peak utility rate window, i.e. 0600 then the battery will be warmed from the charging session. The battery will stay warm for hours. For your comfort you can manually precondition the passenger cabin starting 5 minutes before you are ready to drive.
Ahh scheduled departure charging will warm the battery even after? Let's say my car sat at 80% overnight if I set scheduled departure at 1100 will it pre-warm the battery even if it didn't need to charge?

Ahh scheduled departure charging will warm the battery even after? Let's say my car sat at 80% overnight if I set scheduled departure at 1100 will it pre-warm the battery even if it didn't need to charge?
That is not Scheduled Departure Charging, that is Scheduled Charging. Scheduled Departure Charging starts charging as late as possible while still completing before you need to leave (or before the end of the off-peak rate window). Scheduled Charging is what you described. Start charging at 11PM every evening. Simple to use but does nothing to have the battery warm at the time you need to leave.

Nothing (bad) will happen. In winter the passenger cabin will not be warmed. The seat heaters and the steering wheel heater will help you to feel warm while the HVAC brings the passenger cabin temperature to the desired setting. Of course, if there is ice on the windshield and windows you will need to wait for the defroster to melt the ice or scrape the ice before driving. The Tesla vehicle may display a blue snowflake indicating that the battery is cold. Regenerative braking will be reduced. Depending on the battery temperature, i.e. if below 32F (0C) the battery will be warmed before starting to charge.

Reactions: Teslitored
Just curious... what happened if you have any emergency and need to take the car without preconditioning??? Pros , cons ???
In short, nothing bad at all. The car doesn't need any kind of pre-treatment. That's entirely for your own convenience/comfort. You just won't be feeling toasty and warm when you first get in, and the energy usage on the displays is going to look really high for the first part of the drive because it hasn't done that heating ahead of time, but there's nothing bad or damaging about that.