Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the Trick to Get the Hardware Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I paid big bucks for the advanced autodrive over six months ago. They said it would be enabled once I had the Level III hardware. "It's on order," they say. How do I get it installed? Who do I have to send flowers to? Who do I have to kidnap?

While features should, theoretically, start rolling out this year that require the hardware upgrade, I'm afraid you were misinformed. The FSD upgrade doesn't currently provide anything over that which EAP provided from a driving perspective, so everything that it currently provides from a driving perspective is available without the hardware upgrade. Also, the hardware isn't "level 3" but "version 3.0." Anyway, I say "from a driving perspective" because there are some more things displayed in the IC of an AP3 X, but that doesn't change what the vehicle does when you are driving it and you enable Nav on AP. If you are running an AP2.0 X or an AP2.5 X with MCU1, you probably have to wait patiently for quite a while yet. If you are running an AP2.5 X with MCU2, you might get the hardware update the next time you are in for service, or you might be able to get it simply by scheduling that service. However, Tesla is really good about not having anyone available to make anything happen beyond whatever their "system" decides, so you probably won't make much progress with flowers or kidnappings.

I paid big bucks for the advanced autodrive over six months ago. They said it would be enabled once I had the Level III hardware. "It's on order," they say. How do I get it installed? Who do I have to send flowers to? Who do I have to kidnap?

just get in line. I’m still waiting for it on my 2.5, and I bought 18 months ago. But mxnym above is right. It doesn’t DO anything now, all you get is an enhanced display showing traffic cones, trash cans, traffic signals, and the occasional stop sign. Driving is unchanged [i know this because my wife’s model 3 came with ver 3 installed]

Last edited:
For what it's worth, instead of waiting any longer for the AP3 hardware install I just went ahead and scheduled both of our Model Xs in the app last December for the AP3 install in conjunction with the yellow screen fix. At the time our configuration was a 2017 Model X 100D, MCU1, AP2.5, FSD, and a 2018 MX 100D, MCU2, AP2.5, FSD. Within the hour, they confirmed the appointment at our local SC for the 2018 model and cancelled the appointment for our 2017 model. Had the AP3 install completed that month for the 2018. The excuse for the 2017 cancellation was that the hardware for my VIN wasn't available yet. Of course, that's because the software isn't available yet for MCU1 cars. Fast forward to the MCU2 "infotainment" upgrade availability. I once again, without an invite, scheduled the MCU2 upgrade in conjunction with the AP3 install for my 2017. They came right back with an appointment that week. Had it completed last Friday and works fine. The yellow screen fix of course became a non-issue since they replaced both of the displays as part of the MCU upgrade. As stated, it doesn't have FM radio, but I haven't listened to AM/FM for more than a decade anyway. Although FSD is not really here yet, it does feel to me as though the AP3 autopilot is a little smoother. Might be my imagination though!

Reactions: LJ32
I had my 2018 Performance M3 with FSD updated to AP3 in February, booked through the App same as GNFO. All completed in 1-day at local SC. I will book MCU2 and AP3 updates for my 2017 MX 100D through the App in September with my 3rd year annual maintenance visit so all can be done in one visit. I will update in September.

657CDA24-3B95-4D5E-9614-1A085DA4D88F.jpeg
Strange issue with upgrading my 2017 MX 100D. I finally received an email from Tesla stating Autopilot 3.0 upgrade was available. I scheduled appointment through the app and also added that I wanted the infotainment update as well. Took MX in morning on 6/18, SC completed same evening. Paid $2,500+ for infotainment update which according to Tesla Invoice, “Performed infotainment upgrade.” Parts replaced, “info Upgrad wit Replacement Touchscren(1582613-00-A). Driving home I noticed touchscreen still had yellow border. Checked with SC today, Supervisor response was that the infotainment update no longer includes an updated touchscreen. After I refused this response, SC has agreed to install a new screen on 6/22. Has anyone else had this problem? Picture of touchscreen after infotainment update was completed.

Last edited: