Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's you low budget S config?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My budget config (picked up in June):

40kWh : $57,400 (no longer available, base 60kWh is now $12,500 more)
Flat White paint : Included
Standard Suspension : Included
Tech Package w/Interior Lighting : $3,750 (now $750 more, but I would not get lighting, so actually $250 less)
Pano roof (for headroom) : $1,500 (now $1000 more)
Grey Leather /w Lacewood : $1,500 (now $650 more)
Destination : $1,170
Federal Tax Credit : -$7,500

Total: $57,820

Being an early adapter and driving an awesome car that would be much more expensive to purchase today - PRICELESS

-------------------------------------------

If getting the car today, my config would be:

60kWh : $69,900
Flat White paint : Included
Standard Suspension : Included
Tech Package: $3,500
Pano roof (for headroom) : $2,500
Fabric seats with Piano Black : Included
Destination : $1,170
Federal Tax Credit : -$7,500

Total: $69,570 ( Can't afford any more :crying: )

Last edited:
Total: $57,820
Being an early adapter and driving an awesome car that would be much more expensive to purchase today - PRICELESS

If getting the car today, my config would be:
Total: $67,070 ( Can't afford any more :crying: )

Woah, that's a good deal you got :smile: Usually early adopters pay more. I remember people were furious when the original iPhone got a price drop not too long after release.

Ideally, I would like to buy a well optioned Model S P85+, which I configured to a lofty $117,170 after $7,500 credit... but that's not going to happen :eek:

I don't really have a "budget" Model S in mind, but here's the lower cost version I would be happy with:

60 kWh: $63,570
Tesla Multi-Coat Red: $1,500
Cyclone 19" Wheels: $2,500
Carbon Fiber Decor: $800

So... that already sounds crazy on a budget, but here is my reasoning: I don't want leather seats, and the Multi-Red is the only exterior color I like with the black fabric. If I were to order a grey leather interior with one of the metallic colors and Lacewood decor, that would be $1500 + $750 + $650 = $2900, which is $600 more than the Multi-Red and Carbon Fiber decor.

I saw the Cyclone alloys at the Tesla store and I would regret not getting those over the standard 19" wheels.
Forget the Pano roof. I'd never open it.

Supercharger Enabled: $2,000
Tech Package: $3,500

It's a high tech car, so I do want some cool gadgets. However: Skipped the Air Suspension because I prefer a simpler suspension system. Skipped Parking Sensors because there's already a great backup camera and tilting mirrors. Don't need the Fog Lamps when the Tech Pkg already has cornering lamps. Don't need any of the fancy interior upgrades because I have a base fabric interior.

Subzero Weather Package: $750
This is a no-brainer because I live in an area with ice and snow

Total Potential Damage to my finances: $82,120
($74,620 after $7,500 tax credit)

Not exactly "budget", but not utterly insane like the P85+. If I could afford a Model S today, I would likely go for an S85 optioned slightly higher than my budget config. It would be priced in the low to mid 90's before tax credit.

98% of the time, efficiency is unimportant. You pay $0.042 in electricity per mile rather than $0.04. big whoop.
On the 2% of the days when you're taking a road trip, you need to wait at the supercharger for 42 minutes instead of 40 minutes.

yeah, I know a lot of people on this forum are into efficiency because they hated burning gasoline, but I don't really get why it's a big deal in this car.

It all adds up; every little bit helps. (shrug) But not important for everyone, obviously...and I wouldn't--didn't!--say "a big deal." ;-) I'm not an extremist gas-hater.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on your highways, doesn't it? Doesn't do much good until over 55 mph, and our speed limits are low here. In Texas or Wisconsin at 85 mph, it probably helps a lot.

Hmm, if your speed limit's under 55 MPH, I would say that's not actually a highway; it's just a road. I'm not sure what the technical or legal definition is--but I've never heard someone refer to an under-55 road as a highway.

Also speed limit and what the prevailing traffic drives are . . . not always the same. ;-) Shh, don't tell smokey that, though.