Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your best piece of Advice for a newbie?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla did come with runflats, everyone would complain about how noisy they are! I have them on my Caddy and they are LOUD.

Tim
I agree...had the dealer swap out the run flats on my BMW X5 with normal tires...not only loud but much more expensive and toast when you get what would normally be a repairable flat. Just carried a jack and a spare (it had the internal space for a full size tire in fact). Seems like they were heavier also.

Best advice of all is to relax and enjoy your awesome new toy! Don't show up at the delivery appointment ready to measure panel gaps and spoiling for a fight :). In the unlikely event that you observe something seriously amiss in the cosmetic department, decide whether you can live with it, and calmly reject the car if not.
Strongly dissagree with this. There is a checklist on this forum that details all the things to look for. It's extensive and yes panel gaps are definitely one of them.

• Disagree
Reactions: hellocar
My advice - don't be afraid to refuse delivery if you see issues. Tesla won't stop the behavior of shipping cars with issues until they feel pain around it. You'll be excited and will want to drive the car, but here are things you should look out for:

1) Panel gap issues, especially on the trunk (it seems to be hit or miss that your trunk will be aligned) and frunk.
On the panel gap issue, but what is the remedy? What if the hood gap is a few millimeters wider on one side, than the other. Is there anything they can do? If it's misaligned, other than the slight aesthetic, that few might notice, it's still functional, right? Is there a problem if it's a few millimeters off?

On the panel gap issue, but what is the remedy? What if the hood gap is a few millimeters wider on one side, than the other. Is there anything they can do? If it's misaligned, other than the slight aesthetic, that few might notice, it's still functional, right? Is there a problem if it's a few millimeters off?
Yes they can make adjustments as to how the trunk and the frunk are aligned. Doors are harder.

The OP in this thread posted this question and has not been seen on TMC since then (may 3rd). This isnt something I see as a mod, this is something anyone can see if they click on a persons name and look.

Only putting that out there because it doesnt appear to me that the OP ever cared about the answer to the question, as they posted it, and havent been seen since shortly after posting it.

The OP in this thread posted this question and has not been seen on TMC since then (may 3rd). This isnt something I see as a mod, this is something anyone can see if they click on a persons name and look.

Only putting that out there because it doesnt appear to me that the OP ever cared about the answer to the question, as they posted it, and havent been seen since shortly after posting it.

Could somebody maybe call him?

Bmw comes with runflat tires. Is tesla only brand with no spare and doesn't come with runflats? That is horrible.
My limited experience with runflats is when I test drove an Infiniti Q50 a number of years ago with them and they were part of a deal breaker for me-I did not get the car. I felt they did not handle well and with relatively poor hearing I did not notice extra noise. As mentioned, they won't run flat, I believe,with a sidewall injury (which can't be repaired) and you will be stuck. I've avoided them since.

If you can, install front PPF, I'd do it now with ANY car, not just Tesla, it's worth every whatever-unit-of-money-you-use spent.
Also, please don't leave the driver seat when on Autopilot.
I had PPF put on the bumper, lights and mirror housing, but unfortunately I didn't have the hood done. I have two good size paint chips in the hood now. If you need touchup paint, go to automotivetouchup.com for the touchup paint. Allot better pricing than Tesla or Dr.Colorchip. Quality is very good. 1/2oz bottle is $10.95 vs having to get a kit with unneeded stuff for $45.00..

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr