Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your range (SR+)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 2500km, my power power consumption is 158 wh/km. I mostly drive in peak hour traffic, with some weekend driving on the freeways. I find that my realistic range if I charge from 20-90% is only around 200km. I assume that's normal?
200km is per charge is not very much, luckily my daily commute is short, so that's adequate. With what Tesla regards as acceptable range loss of up to 30% over 8 years, if I lose 30% that will leave me with 140km per charge, and may be 155km if I let it run down to 10% before charging. That's probably bordering on inadequate.
Whilst a long range car is desirable, the aded weight is not. I can already feel the weight of the SR+, I certainly wouldn't want my car to be any heavier. One of the limitations of current battery technology I guess.

I've yet to need to charge outside of home but if the estimates in this forum of 54.5kWh are correct for the SR+ pack then 70% of that (charging to 90% and discharging to 20% as you state) and consuming 158Wh/km should take you 240km.

Is the 30% degradation mark the point where a warranty can be claimed? I don't hear of anyone reporting degradation that high as yet from older S's, but presuming you were unlucky enough to get 30% that would leave 168km range in the 20-90% cycle.

Are you waiting to hit 20% before charging? I top ours up to 60% every night and the daily drive gets it to 40% or so. Some weekends unplanned use means that's not enough and I'll top it up during the day before heading out again. I'll set it to charge to 80 or 90% at night if we're going to the coast the next day.

Yes, the 30% degradation is what I read as the point where a warranty can be claimed. As you said, I think most don’t lose that much so hopefully that is the case for me. I used 30% degradation as the worse case scenario.

I usually charge when the battery is down to about 20% so I only have to charge every 5 days or so.

Last edited:
Yes, the 30% degradation is what I read as the point where a warranty can be claimed. As you said, I think most don’t lose that much so hopefully that is the case for me. I used 30% degradation as the worse case scenario.

I usually charge when the battery is down to about 20% so I only have to charge every 5 days or so.
Just plug it in at home every night (availability of power permitting).

Reactions: strykeroz
After 2500km, my power power consumption is 158 wh/km. I mostly drive in peak hour traffic, with some weekend driving on the freeways.
I have observed my SR+ had improved in efficiency with later SW updates. For the last 4000 KM (city driving and long trips, with AC always on), it is averaging 132 Wh/KM. For a recent 280+ KM south coast trip it only used 75% of battery (95% at start and 20% at the end) before the next recharge stop.
My current settings are CHILL DRIVE mode and HOLD STOPPING mode.

Last edited:
My wife's SR+ was showing 342km rated range at 90% when new, now after two months and 4500km it is 328km. The efficiency is about 160Wh/km when she drives it and 130Wh/km when I drive it (and they keep saying that men are more aggressive drivers:)) 100% of driving is in the busy Melbourne traffic.
I have calculated, that to achieve the rated range for SR+ the efficiency should be around 120-125Wh/km

After around 5000kms I am getting about 156wh/km on the SR+. I charge up to 85% every night, recently changed it to 90%. Hardly go below 60% before charging unless I do a road trip. I use HOLD mode and I give it a squirt every now and again, but mostly relaxed driving.
I've also noticed using the aircon uses anywhere between 1.5% - 2.5% of charge per hour.

I use more on average in the return trip, so before we get too excited I've got a magic 3...I reckon the hint is that my office is in a suburb with the word "valley" and my home is surrounded by suburbs with the word "hills".

Is your name Marty McFly and do you really drive a deLorean? If so, please PM me Thursday's lotto numbers. Many thanks!

Hill Valley

• Funny
Reactions: Blue heaven
After 2500km, my power power consumption is 158 wh/km. I mostly drive in peak hour traffic, with some weekend driving on the freeways. I find that my realistic range if I charge from 20-90% is only around 200km. I assume that's normal?
200km is per charge is not very much, luckily my daily commute is short, so that's adequate. With what Tesla regards as acceptable range loss of up to 30% over 8 years, if I lose 30% that will leave me with 140km per charge, and may be 155km if I let it run down to 10% before charging. That's probably bordering on inadequate.
Whilst a long range car is desirable, the aded weight is not. I can already feel the weight of the SR+, I certainly wouldn't want my car to be any heavier. One of the limitations of current battery technology I guess.

I'm considering the issue is not battery degredation but vampire drain due to charging every five days, how many kilometres do you get from 90-20% in less than 24 hours?
In reality range only matters if you're paying high electricity rates or are stretching the battery on long trips.

• Helpful
Reactions: strykeroz
vampire drain due to charging every five days
I haven't check this for a while, but when I first got the car I was losing 1-2% each day. Sentry mode off. Cabin protection fan on but I usually park under cover so shouldn't be a factor. I haven't driven from 90-20% in one day as yet. Actually 200km range is fine for my driving, I am just hoping the battery doesn't degrade too much over the coming years.