Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your range (SR+)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe I've read (and noticed) that it takes 20 minutes or so for the car to get the battery to ideal temps when first taking off - and uses power to do this. Therefore if most of your trips are shorter you'll get higher kWh readings on average. At 10k kms on my P- I'm on 157 kWh. No chill. Not particularly sedate.

when I first got the car I was losing 1-2% each day. Sentry mode off. Cabin protection fan on but I usually park under cover so shouldn't be a factor.
This is why I leave the car plugged in while garaged. I don't have the cabin temp fan on but it's clear the car gets up to all sorts of things when left to itself. I can frequently hear a fan somewhere under it, presumably to cool the CPU while it does checking for updates or cell balancing or whatever else it gets up to. And every now and again I've seen the charge animation show on the Tesla EVSE, even when it's not charging, to offset whatever the car is consuming presumably.

In the manual it does say a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. But once you're plugged in you may as well schedule it to charge as well I figure...

Have ordered an SR, wife has a job visiting clients around Sydney suburbs - max ~150km a day.

Is that likely to be an issue? Assuming we have Charger at home, and Sydney winters aren’t freezing so I don’t think the cold weather impact is as bad as other countries report.

It seemed ok in my original research, but I just want to be sure so I don’t have a grumpy wife.

longer trips aren’t too concerning as we will be keeping 1 ICE as well. But from what I can see trips to Canberra, Wollongong etc should be safe too assuming chargers working.

Have ordered an SR, wife has a job visiting clients around Sydney suburbs - max ~150km a day.

Is that likely to be an issue? Assuming we have Charger at home, and Sydney winters aren’t freezing so I don’t think the cold weather impact is as bad as other countries report.

It seemed ok in my original research, but I just want to be sure so I don’t have a grumpy wife.

longer trips aren’t too concerning as we will be keeping 1 ICE as well. But from what I can see trips to Canberra, Wollongong etc should be safe too assuming chargers working.
Shouldn’t be an issue. Maybe charge in shopping malls during lunch/coffee breaks or waiting for next appointment. Lots of malls in Sydney have EV chargers now and this will only increase moving forward. Worth checking a few likely places beforehand to make sure where they are and you will most likely need a cable as many don’t have Tesla destination chargers.

I believe I've read (and noticed) that it takes 20 minutes or so for the car to get the battery to ideal temps when first taking off - and uses power to do this. Therefore if most of your trips are shorter you'll get higher kWh readings on average. At 10k kms on my P- I'm on 157 kWh. No chill. Not particularly sedate.

Charge to 90% and you will get at least around 330km's per charge on a SR+....I would personally get around 370km's as I drive slowly.

Even if you only get 280km's then this is WAY more than the expected 150km's per day....

This is why I leave the car plugged in while garaged. I don't have the cabin temp fan on but it's clear the car gets up to all sorts of things when left to itself. I can frequently hear a fan somewhere under it, presumably to cool the CPU while it does checking for updates or cell balancing or whatever else it gets up to. And every now and again I've seen the charge animation show on the Tesla EVSE, even when it's not charging, to offset whatever the car is consuming presumably.

In the manual it does say a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. But once you're plugged in you may as well schedule it to charge as well I figure...
Sign up for Teslafi and you'll get stats on when the car is sleeping, will help work out what/when the car is doing stuff while you're not around.

Also gives great data on driving range.

Reactions: Flatbat
Don’t overthink the battery/range thing. Coming from a 24kWh Leaf I can assure you that we now own one of the most efficient and fun cars on the planet.

Don’t worry about battery degradation, just drive the car. If your car is <6 months old your battery will be healthy and strong and will likely get to about 90% state of health and stay there - that is the average for Tesla’s to date.

I disagree with the gentleman above - don’t get Teslafi. I usually love data but it will just cause you to obsess and worry even more than you are. The best thing you can do is not floor it all the time (hard not to I know!) and turn off Sentry Mode when you don’t need it - that feature really sucks the juice.

FYI - I’m averaging about 140Wh/km and reliably get 350kms per charge. I once got 400km. 10,000kms in 6 months in a SR+ here.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: strykeroz and adee
My S, an older 85 has a similar range to the SR+ and I have driven to Sydney many times, Melbourne, Townsville, Chinchilla many times and Stanthorpe many times all on AP. I wouldn't do it any other way. We are going to France in a couple of months and hired a Telsa with AP; couldn't face European traffic again without AP.
We are also going to France in June, was thinking of renting a M3. Ive previously rented a MX in London. Curious to know who you rented from and what they are charging?