Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Jog with Auto Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine definitely changes lanes on its own with my hand resting on the wheel. No additional confirmation needed.

Now if they could just add some settings to turn off or adjust how often it gets out of the left lane it would work better in my opinion. I feel that the car is changing lanes way more than I would and I end up turning it off. It should look further down the road to see if getting out of the left makes sense. Instead it moves me over (no one behind me) and then I am up on a slower car 30 seconds later and it puts me back into the left again. Too much bobbing and weaving.

Patience. It'll get there. Remember where we were 6 months ago, and think about where we are now.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
Disagree. This thread is a waste of electrons. The steering wheel has always had to sense your hand to stay in AP. Now it must sense your hand on the wheel at the time that it is going to change lanes. This is to make sure you are paying attention before it, you know, throws your car in front of someone in another lane. As someone who rests their hand on the wheel in such a way that I'm almost always being prompted for confirmation I have found another way to hold the wheel that demonstrates to the system that I am holding it, thereby allowing the auto lane changes to occur seamlessly.

Look Rdlink, Tesla is still selling cars and new buyers are adding FSD. What you've learned from all your sources is helpful to those just getting into a Tesla for the first time. Like myself. It is of course possible for one to read the whole owners manual and then just go use the features with complete understanding. But such drivers are rare.

Now if they could just add some settings to turn off or adjust how often it gets out of the left lane it would work better in my opinion. I feel that the car is changing lanes way more than I would and I end up turning it off. It should look further down the road to see if getting out of the left makes sense. Instead it moves me over (no one behind me) and then I am up on a slower car 30 seconds later and it puts me back into the left again. Too much bobbing and weaving.

I have a related, albeit opposite, complaint.

I find that NOA will often put me in the left lane to pass a slightly-slower car when there's another car going significantly faster than me quickly coming from behind in the left lane, and (absent my intervention) my car ends up blocking the faster car in the left lane for a significant amount of time before I've passed the slower car and I'm ready to change back into the middle lane.

I find such driving behavior inconsiderate (left lane is for passing, so you shouldn't linger there too long if someone behind you wants to go faster and pass you) and it results in less-safe traffic patterns with faster cars eventually passing on the right, so I end up cancelling/delaying quite a few NOA lane changes into the left lane and/or speeding up to execute the pass quicker and then manually initiating the lane change out of the left lane so I'm not blocking it as long.

Not sure what the NOA solution should be tho. Even if it uses the rear camera to account for faster cars coming from behind, I think driver intervention is inevitable in some scenarios, like if the car you're passing changes speeds during the pass.

Not sure what the NOA solution should be tho. Even if it uses the rear camera to account for faster cars coming from behind, I think driver intervention is inevitable in some scenarios, like if the car you're passing changes speeds during the pass.

The theory is that the NN and machine learning will eventually be able to do this as well as a human driver. Including taking into account the lead car, and all the surrounding cars. One big advantage is that the vehicle can watch all those cars in real-time simultaneously. As a human driver you need to shoulder or mirror check and there can be only one area of focus. I guess we need to see how these features evolve.

I tried explicitly several times on the weekend while driving on Nav-on-Autopilot. Same outcome. Regardless of the pressure, it would ask for steering wheel confirmation via pressure. Auto lane change (without confim) was enabled.

I'll see if I can have my passenger record it next time for a video.
Just to confirm... When you say "via pressure", you do mean that you are applying a left or right torqueing movement to the wheel and not simply gripping the wheel harder (as if squeezing a water bottle). I'm not meaning to offend, just hoping to clarify. Thank you for your post.

I have a related, albeit opposite, complaint.

I find that NOA will often put me in the left lane to pass a slightly-slower car when there's another car going significantly faster than me quickly coming from behind in the left lane, and (absent my intervention) my car ends up blocking the faster car in the left lane for a significant amount of time before I've passed the slower car and I'm ready to change back into the middle lane.

I find such driving behavior inconsiderate (left lane is for passing, so you shouldn't linger there too long if someone behind you wants to go faster and pass you) and it results in less-safe traffic patterns with faster cars eventually passing on the right, so I end up cancelling/delaying quite a few NOA lane changes into the left lane and/or speeding up to execute the pass quicker and then manually initiating the lane change out of the left lane so I'm not blocking it as long..

I agree and don’t drive in the left lane unless I am passing or at least moving faster than the cars in the next lane (mostly what happens). Plus in the northwest many of our freeways are only 2 or 3 lanes and not the mega freeways with 5 or 6 lanes. When you have 2 or 3 and trucks are in the right lane you find the need to spend more time in the “Passing lane”. But I always move if anyone is approaching from the rear as that is my pet peeve (Subaru or Prius cruising in the left at exactly the speed limit).

On another note...I see the msg to cancel the NOA auto lane change by pressing the cancel button on the MCU (which works) or to use the turn signal stalk, which I cant get to cancel the change without putting my signal on and making me look undecided. Am I missing something?

I have my 3 set to auto lane change with only the chime notification, and yet, every time it wants to change lanes on its own, it asks me to jog the wheel -- like the regular autopilot does during a drive. Is this a setting I'm missing, or is it just how it is right now? It's really no different than having to hit the stalk.
I've never seen the prompt to hit the scroll wheel. But I also rarely see the torque nag (I see it on completely straight road, but that's rare for my commute). Are you constantly getting torque nag?

On another note...I see the msg to cancel the NOA auto lane change by pressing the cancel button on the MCU (which works) or to use the turn signal stalk, which I cant get to cancel the change without putting my signal on and making me look undecided. Am I missing something?
I've only seen message to "tap to cancel." But I assume if you tap the stalk halfway it will cancel without signaling? I mean it's just an assumption, as you're completely right that signaling when you're not going to change lanes is silly.

I have mine set to steering wheel vibrate on auto lane change and it changes lanes without confirmation. Right before it changes lanes it DOES ask me to ‘apply light pressure to the steering wheel’ like it does every 45 seconds or so, but that’s it. No confirmation needed.

So much confusion in this thread:
  • Confirmation is using the turn signal stalk after it displays the desire to change the lanes.
  • No Confirmation is *as long as it knows you are holding the wheel* it will just put the blinker on and go.
I use no-confirmation NoA every single day on my commute. I have also found a few different ways to hold the wheel such that the weight of my hand (for example, slight grip at 5 o'clock and let my arm 'hang', or elbow on drivers door sill and left hand on the 9 o'clock spoke of the steering wheel) will provide enough constant torque such that I will not get a nag for my entire ~30 min commute.

I see so many youtube videos with people trying to "squeeze" the wheel or "push" on the wheel. The steering wheel only has one degree of freedom and it only has sensors on that degree of freedom, so ... you have to be applying force (torque) on that degree of freedom.

Just to confirm... When you say "via pressure", you do mean that you are applying a left or right torqueing movement to the wheel and not simply gripping the wheel harder (as if squeezing a water bottle). I'm not meaning to offend, just hoping to clarify. Thank you for your post.

Yes, applying rotational force. If I apply too much it will disengage.

I guess over a 2 hour drive it's too hard to keep the pressure significant enough to avoid nag. Since there is no direct feedback if it's enough pressure, you only know when it nags

Reactions: Donz_S
Yes, applying rotational force. If I apply too much it will disengage.

I guess over a 2 hour drive it's too hard to keep the pressure significant enough to avoid nag. Since there is no direct feedback if it's enough pressure, you only know when it nags
I agree... I can’t seem to avoid the nag even though I almost always keep two hands on the wheel and perform the rotational movements as you mention.

Look Rdlink, Tesla is still selling cars and new buyers are adding FSD. What you've learned from all your sources is helpful to those just getting into a Tesla for the first time. Like myself. It is of course possible for one to read the whole owners manual and then just go use the features with complete understanding. But such drivers are rare.

If you spend $40K-$70K on a new car, with new technology and don't take the hour to read the owners manual at some point you're an idiot. Period.

The torque method also has risks. Sometimes, the steering wheel resistance is strong enough that if you slowly overcome it, the car can suddenly pull to the side when it releases autopilot. It's pretty scary it it happens at 65+ mph.