Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel-nut torque

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a matter of curiosity, can anyone tell me why the wheel-nut torque on the MS is so high - 129 lb ft (175Nm)? Cars I have dealt with over the years have all required about 70 - 80 lb ft. My wrench does go high enough but I don't know whether I could push it that far (or, more to the point, undo the nuts); good thing one will not have to do it at the roadside! I wonder whether most tyre shops do them up tight enough - they seem to have their guns at a single setting that they use all the time.

Reactions: Skavatar
It likely has to do with the agressiv torque available from a standstill and the weight of the vehicle.

175 Nm is more than most cars, but you won't have trouble undoing a 175 Nm lug nut manually, I can guarantee that. If you have a wrench that extends 35 cm from the nut (normal tire wrench) you'd need to apply the equivalent force of 50 kg - not too hard for most people. If you have a slightly longer wrench the force needed will of course be smaller.

The Corvette has a similar torque, so it's not uncommon for very high performance cars. After 100 miles or so of driving the wheels should be re-torqued, so that would take care of any problems.

Note that it is easy to remove the nuts with a breaker bar, requires almost no force.