Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So of course, after owning my Model 3 for only a month, I curbed one of my wheels (18" aeros w/ hubcaps removed):

AluDMLu.jpg

Does anyone have experience with wheel repair places? How do they typically fix something like this? What does it look like when they're done -- is it still noticeable?

Taking a step back, would you repair curb rash like this or just live with it? I'm guessing this is not the only time I'll curb a wheel, and I'd probably be even more pissed off if I had just paid $$$ to repair the wheel and then damaged it again.

Reactions: Tron 3
I was in a similar situation as you. Tesla sent me to Pios Wheels to repair the wheels and was quoted around $250 for a scratch way smaller than yours. I had never heard of them but I knew in the back of my mind it would never be good as new. I took my 3 into Santa Clara service center and they fully replaced the wheel with a brand new one for $412 out the door. Money well spent for a piece of mind and I recouped some of my money selling the used wheel on CL.

Reactions: mr-dmitry
I had a close encounter with my new 3 this winter. I took a risk and drove on my Summer tires on 20” wheels ..... I know, I know. I just took it into a local high-end used auto dealer/detail shop. They took care of the problem I knew of and two others I was unaware of (road rash on two and straightened a third) all for less than $300. I live in NE Indiana however with a much lower cost of living here!

While there I inquired about replacing my windshield (2 cracks right in my line of vision) and a quote for a winter tire and wheel package (having learned my lesson). They told me they were still looking after a week because, based on aggressive Tesla behavior involving accidents with aftermarket installs on, specifically, the 3 their usual vendors are declining to do any more Tesla work. I’m curious if anyone else has run into this situation.

I had a similar curb rash issue and used this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HE66OK8
(Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford Exact-Match Scratch Fix All-in-1 Touch-Up Paint)

I didn't put too much effort into it (just used the attached abrasive tip to smooth it out, didn't use any filler or similar) and it looks decent. Unless you are crouched over, it's hard to see the damage as the paint color is spot on. I am at work without my car so can't take a picture but will try to remember when I get home tonight.

I've damaged mine twice - same wheel and same spot (after it was repaired the first time ugh). I used a local guy in San Diego. Did a phenomenal job - cannot tell at all. Ground it down, blended the damage, painted it - all in a parking lot at work. ~ $150/wheel each time. Learning to be super careful when parking. The rear pass wheel is hard to see/gauge when near a curb.

Reactions: Federico
Two choices:
Leave it as is, maybe add some touch-up paint.
Fix it (and then fix it again, because it will)

My take is that with Tesla wheel/tire design, unlike just about every other combination, the wheel actually sticks out beyond the tire. So whereas you've curbed things in the past, the tire took energy and just scarped the tire up a little.
But with the Model 3, and the wheel sticking out, the wheel takes the energy.

So you are somewhat doomed to scratch it again.

Take it as a badge of war.

Reactions: Tron 3
I've damaged mine twice - same wheel and same spot (after it was repaired the first time ugh). I used a local guy in San Diego. Did a phenomenal job - cannot tell at all. Ground it down, blended the damage, painted it - all in a parking lot at work. ~ $150/wheel each time. Learning to be super careful when parking. The rear pass wheel is hard to see/gauge when near a curb.

Send me his contact in San Diego.

Thanks

Fred

It is is usually the passenger rear that gets it, I think this is due to the long wheel base in relation to the size of the car. The rear wheels are very close to the rear of the car, giving a different turning characteristic than a design with the wheel further forward.

Yeah it hurts. Luckily it was she who must be obeyed that did it first. I just used the touch-up pen method. Painted it doesn't draw the eye, and that's going to be good enough for now.

Reactions: Hans L
I had a similar curb rash issue and used this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HE66OK8
(Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford Exact-Match Scratch Fix All-in-1 Touch-Up Paint)

I didn't put too much effort into it (just used the attached abrasive tip to smooth it out, didn't use any filler or similar) and it looks decent. Unless you are crouched over, it's hard to see the damage as the paint color is spot on. I am at work without my car so can't take a picture but will try to remember when I get home tonight.

Here is a pic of the touch up paint. From close up the damage is noticeable but hard to spot unless you know it happened.

wheel.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: afty