Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel spacers for Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been converted already.

I’m looking to add spacers to my Performance Model 3. Has anyone else done this woth the 20” wheels and can you be so kind to share your information.

Thank you

There is absolutely NO WAY I would ever think to change the weight distribution of a 4500 pound car with spacers.

For what?
Firstly, the P3D weighs less than 4,100lbs. Secondly, spacers don't change the "weight distribution", they change the scrub radius of the suspension.

As for the OP:
If you stay with ~8mm or less, you shouldn't have any negative effects. Going with something aggressive like 20mm+ will change the suspension geometry and likely shorten wheel bearing life. It will also hurt range due to more aero drag from the wheels being pushed out.

I'm currently running these 3mm spacers to clear the hub lip on my P3D. Personally, I'd recommend changing offsets with aftermarket wheels as opposed to spacers if you can.

Firstly, the P3D weighs less than 4,100lbs. Secondly, spacers don't change the "weight distribution", they change the scrub radius of the suspension.

As for the OP:
If you stay with ~8mm or less, you shouldn't have any negative effects. Going with something aggressive like 20mm+ will change the suspension geometry and likely shorten wheel bearing life. It will also hurt range due to more aero drag from the wheels being pushed out.

I'm currently running these 3mm spacers to clear the hub lip on my P3D. Personally, I'd recommend changing offsets with aftermarket wheels as opposed to spacers if you can.

Semantics.

I’ve been running spacers on my LR RWD since August with no issues. I believe the wheel offsets are the same with the 19” and 20” sports.

I have 20mm rear and 15mm front which gives a perfectly flush stance and no rub. From what I’m told, the factory lugs are not long enough to support spacers wider than 5mm without extended lugs pressed into the spacers. No one makes extended lug spacers at less than 15mm width because it would put too much strain on the spacer. So you’re kind of stuck going with 5mm spacers or 15mm spacers. Possibly 7mm if you want to risk it.

Details and photos here:
Lowering the Model 3

and likely shorten wheel bearing life. It will also hurt range due to more aero drag from the wheels being pushed out.

I'd recommend changing offsets with aftermarket wheels as opposed to spacers if you can.
Not arguing here, but I keep hearing that spacers will shorten bearing life, yet offset wheels won't, but nobody seems to be able to point to any research on the issue. I asked a business associate who owns a large tire shop in Colorado about this, who said, he doesn't recommend wheel spacers because they will shorten bearing life. I asked him for a reference but he said he didn't have one other than "everybody knows that." :confused:

I will say that pushing the wheels out, whether by spacers or offset wheels, will increase drag and therefore range. How much is hard to determine because it can vary based on rim design and amount of offset. I learned on my Prius, running 25 mm on the rear, that it caused about a 3% loss of range in my specific case. For others, it was more and some less. I never did have a bearing problem.

I have 20mm rear and 15mm front which gives a perfectly flush stance and no rub.

Notice any difference in range?

Last edited:
Do you have any pics of the car with these spacers?

Setup in photos is 255/40/19 with 19x9+35mm wheel plus 5mm spacers. I am using the spacers as a temporary simulation of what the wheel/tire location will be when I switch to aftermarket brake rotors. Stock P3D+ rotor hat is only 2mm thick, while aftermarket rotor hat is 7mm. The car is at stock height in the photos, and the front tire is borderline on pokey. I will be lowering the car by 30mm, which will pull the top of the tire inward due to the suspension geometry.

I’ve been modding cars for 20+ years. My own experience tells me all the mod I’m doing isn’t going to cause any significant premature wear that shortens the lifespan significantly. I tend to replace wear and tear parts way before every last bit of life is squeezed out of them.

Just want to share my own actual experience.
880C807D-C2FB-4B83-8222-85DE9C44F592.jpeg
46E7CE65-E4D2-4A79-B5E4-32FD94F78FB3.jpeg
B0C9F1A6-D269-4547-A847-CDAFF5309A54.jpeg
D0521789-6BE1-43FA-A460-A4BE33888E84.jpeg

There is absolutely NO WAY I would ever think to change the weight distribution of a 4500 pound car with spacers.

For what?

Garlan, Porsche has been running their factory road and race cars with spacers for decades. As it has been said, as long as you’re not going obnoxiously large the car will be fine with zero negative effects.
I deal with exotics in a daily basis and even our McLarens are running Novitec 15mm spacers.
In my case I want to keep the 20” turbine style wheels from T-Sportline just push them out a touch

Last edited:
Reactions: IronJoe
Garlan, Porsche has been running their factory road and race cars with spacers for decades. As it has been said, as long as you’re not going obnoxiously large the car will be fine with zero negative effects.
I deal with exotics in a daily basis and even our McLarens are running Novitec 15mm spacers.
In my case I want to keep the 20” turbine style wheels from T-Sportline just push them out a touch

Well....Good luck.

I actually want the opposite.

I want to "unspace" my shaft to get some rims with a more concave appeal.