Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheelie Bins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning was the first time I noticed the display showing the wheelie bins by the side of the road - may just be the first time I've driven around much on bin day. It then got a bit trigger happy and represented an old cooker dumped by the side of the road as a wheelie bin.

Is this new, or am I just unobservant?

This morning was the first time I noticed the display showing the wheelie bins by the side of the road - may just be the first time I've driven around much on bin day. It then got a bit trigger happy and represented an old cooker dumped by the side of the road as a wheelie bin.

Is this new, or am I just unobservant?
saw the same with a M3 I hired a couple of months back. Bin on the side of the road was a round type but the display showed a wheelie bin. Somehow seemed kind of funny that the bin changed type.

I just know I'm going to get shot down here, but ever since I got my car, and more so since the screen interface change, I have never understood what the purpose of the visualisation part of the screen was supposed to be for. I mean you can see other cars, lorries, wheelie bins, bollards etc, out of the windscreen as you are driving. Why do you they need repeating on a screen where you have to take your eyes off the road to see them. It just seems to be an utter waste of time (and screen space) to have it, or am I missing something here?

I just know I'm going to get shot down here, but ever since I got my car, and more so since the screen interface change, I have never understood what the purpose of the visualisation part of the screen was supposed to be for. I mean you can see other cars, lorries, wheelie bins, bollards etc, out of the windscreen as you are driving. Why do you they need repeating on a screen where you have to take your eyes off the road to see them. It just seems to be an utter waste of time (and screen space) to have it, or am I missing something here?
Because you can constantly troll your Wife sat in the passenger seat, to justify the £60,000 spend, by how clever the car is.

Currently she thinks the car is cleverer than me, so I can't tell if I'm winning or not 😁

• Funny
Reactions: Zakalwe and cryo
I just know I'm going to get shot down here, but ever since I got my car, and more so since the screen interface change, I have never understood what the purpose of the visualisation part of the screen was supposed to be for.
Eventually when your car is capable of autonomous driving (2 weeks apparently :cool: ), the visualisations of what the car can 'see' will make you feel more comfortable about leaving your life in the hands of a self-driving car - so the theory goes.

Wheelie Bins, Traffic Cones and Traffic Lights... plus other stuff...all recognised well. Cyclists and horses it seems to recognise long after I've seen them and taken appropriate action!
I do not believe that autonomous driving, other than on motorways, will ever happen, despite what the industry seems to believe!

Impressive video, BUT...
NYC is a well defined environment, white lines, regular geometric road layout.

I'd like to see how their system performs in the lanes of SW England, no white lines, roade edges not defined and often soft from vegetation. Add in a varying road width, shadows from overhanging trees, potholes and passing places where one has to squeeze past oncoming traffic and the real joy of meeting a tractor, pulling a trailer, forcing a long and cautious reverse with eventually squeezing past with 5cm clearance. That is 50% of my driving world in S Wilts and Dorset.

When an autonomous driving package does that I'll buy in.

Reactions: Mr_Dave
Impressive video, BUT...
NYC is a well defined environment, white lines, regular geometric road layout.

I'd like to see how their system performs in the lanes of SW England, no white lines, roade edges not defined and often soft from vegetation. Add in a varying road width, shadows from overhanging trees, potholes and passing places where one has to squeeze past oncoming traffic and the real joy of meeting a tractor, pulling a trailer, forcing a long and cautious reverse with eventually squeezing past with 5cm clearance. That is 50% of my driving world in S Wilts and Dorset.

When an autonomous driving package does that I'll buy in.
Mind you don't hurt your back dragging those goalposts about.😄

5 minutes ago autonomous driving was never going to happen at all outside of motorways. Now unless it happens in your back yard it's all bunkum.
Once you resort to using increasingly bizarre corner cases to try and make a point you are effectively saying that it works for the majority of cases in the majority of times. The exact same logical fallacy is used by the anti-EV people "Unless an EV does 300 miles then they'll never be popular" rapidly morphs into "Unless I can do 500Km whilst towing a trailer carrying two grand pianos then they'll never be popular". I had one idiot arguing on YouTube that unless EVs can do the drive between Perth and Darwin (a 4000 Km drive) then they'd never be useful in Australia. Meanwhile, in the real world, the average per annum distance travelled by cars in Aus is 11,500 Km.

Last edited:

Driving in India. If you've never been to India then you'll never understand the chaos of their roads (I once spent an interesting hour sitting at a bar counting the many different and sometimes entertaining ways that drivers, bike riders, cyclists, cows and tuktuk drivers negotiated one small roundabout).
Let me guess your response "Ahh, but unless they can handle Edith, our local lollipop lady, then it'll never work" ;)

Its also important to remember that just because the car hasn't visualised something, it doesn't mean that it has not been detected, processed and either ignored or planned for.

You only have to look at some of the FSD City Streets beta videos and see how many more objects are visualised. Regular highways is using very similar object detection, just processing them different to give a more consistent view of the world.