Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When and how to get the $5000 refund?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
after 3 emails with no response, today I finally received their refund confirmation.
"Thank you for the confirmation. I have submitted the refund for $5,000 and the removal of your Free, Unlimited Supercharging. The check will be mailed to your physical address on file within the next 8 weeks."
now it takes 8 weeks rather than 4 weeks, act fast if you want your refund.

• Informative
Reactions: PA ZU
it will be interesting to hear of 1st check delivered!

I got my “check will be in mail” 4 week promise on 11/13,
which makes 4 weeks 12/11, no word sine 11/13...

still wondering if tesla will include sales tax on refund $$$?

I haven’t read that here, do you recall the conversation?

I found it in the other thread:

For anyone wondering, i just confirmed that Tesla is only refunding 5000 and no tax on that amount.

"In regards to the Performance Upgrade Package $5,000 refund, I am happy to submit the request upon your confirmation. Please note we are only refunding $5,000 as we are not adjusting any official documents regarding your purchase and applying for tax refunds for each vehicle. "

Maybe in Canada it's different:

Thank You for contacting Tesla Service Support! I apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused. I have submitted this refund, someone will reach out to you as soon as possible. Also, the refund included taxes on the vehicle and will be the amount you paid for it in Canadian Dollar.

I’m fairly sure CA would take a dim view of companies withholding tax dollars?

What makes you think that they would be withholding tax dollars? They have already paid the tax to the state and aren't asking for it back. (I'm sure the state doesn't mind being over-paid.)

If they were to adjust the tax, and re-write the MVPA, would they have to get your bank involved and send the refund, or part of it, to them? Then do you get a new updated Moroney sticker?

Nope I think the refund is actually just a $5k gift. Which thing probably makes it taxable income. ;)

They sure are making a mess of things...

What makes you think that they would be withholding tax dollars? They have already paid the tax to the state and aren't asking for it back. (I'm sure the state doesn't mind being over-paid.)

If they were to adjust the tax, and re-write the MVPA, would they have to get your bank involved and send the refund, or part of it, to them? Then do you get a new updated Moroney sticker?

Nope I think the refund is actually just a $5k gift. Which thing probably makes it taxable income. ;)

I expect they'd frame it as the customer is exchanging one thing for another (FUSC for $5000 cash as an even swap) so no tax liability attaches to anybody either way.

I expect they'd frame it as the customer is exchanging one thing for another (FUSC for $5000 cash as an even swap) so no tax liability attaches to anybody either way.
I don't know how the sales tax system works in the US, but in Canada, that's still qualifies as decreasing your revenue subject to sales tax. Therefore, Tesla would no longer need to remit sales tax on that $5000 portion and thus the customer should be refunded for that portion as well.

merchants report gross sales to states, and pay according to aggregate totals.
if you buy $100 of products at a store, and return a $20 item, a separate receipt
is generated with the taxable amount withheld on the $20 item on top of refund.

tesla made other refunds regarding FSD and included the taxable amount on refund?

except the transactions are not an exchange?
the PUP refund is granted by CEO due to reprising PUP package.
the FUSC was included (in my case) by date of purchase, no charge
was offered or inferred, as with priority internet connection.
the refund of PUP $$$ only refers to giving back FUSC referrals?

Google just lowered the price of my one month old Pixel 3XL, where do I apply for the refund on that!

I know you’re just joking on this, but when the iPhone was first released and dropped in price after the first month by $200 Apple issued a $200 rebate to everyone who purchased at the original price in a period before the announcement and $100 store credit to everyone who purchased between launch and that point.

In this case, we still haven’t even received the full package that we paid $5k for before it became included in the base price.

Reactions: ChicagoP3D
sales tax are paid to the state, so I don't think Tesla will refund the tax.

when you return a purchase for refund to a merchant,
the merchant refunds the tax on the spot, then monthly
or quarterly the merchant pays state gross adjusted totals.

if the merchant doesn't refund state taxes along with
refund, the merchant ends up benefiting in the transaction,
I.E. withholding tax for a phantom purchase.
state governments take a dim view of this.