Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does 3 Month FSD Trial Begin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joey D

Apr 28, 2023
NJ
Taking delivery of a MS later this week. Because a referral code was used, one of the perks is "3 months of free FSD."

Does anyone know:
1) Will this allow me to also add / try FSD beta during those 3 months.
2) Do I get to choose when the 3 month period starts....or does it automatically start with delivery?

I ask because I understand that FSD Beta may not be available on the software build that is shipped with the Model S. (I may need to wait for the FSD Beta branch to merge into the version of the main software stack.) So I would prefer to not start the 3 free months of FSD until I can also subscribe to FSD Beta.

I picked up a HW4 MX on Wednesday. FSD trial starts when you accept delivery. I asked about the lack of full FSD with HW4 vehicles, all those covered by the 3 month promotional trial, and was told I should “hope a software update comes soon”.

I emailed a few people who have helped me with me with issues in the past requesting they reassess the promotion for HW4 vehicles, but my expectations are extremely low. So I don’t go crazy I’m just going to ignore that aspect of the referral promo and focus on getting the delivery deficiencies resolved first 🤣

I picked up a HW4 MX on Wednesday. FSD trial starts when you accept delivery. I asked about the lack of full FSD with HW4 vehicles, all those covered by the 3 month promotional trial, and was told I should “hope a software update comes soon”.

I emailed a few people who have helped me with me with issues in the past requesting they reassess the promotion for HW4 vehicles, but my expectations are extremely low. So I don’t go crazy I’m just going to ignore that aspect of the referral promo and focus on getting the delivery deficiencies resolved first 🤣
I thought FSD Beta was already pushed to HW4 vehicles?

I thought FSD Beta was already pushed to HW4 vehicles?
I actually don't know for 100% sure, because I don't know that version of software my S will be dlievered with. I My best guess is that FSD Beta 11.3.6 may be available (It's currently utilizing software 2023.20.6). So as long as my vehicle's software is that version or lower, that version of Beta should be available to download and activate.

The latest version of FSD Beta (11.4.4) is only on 2023.7.20.

Tesla is delivering what has been promised: 3 free months of FSD. NOT, 3 months of FSD Beta. FSD includes all the features of Advanced Autopilot, plus traffic stop control. This is available now. So if your car does not have advanced autopilot, you'll get that, plus FSD for three months.

Now, HW4 cars do not yet support park assist, summon, smart summon. This was highlighted to me by Tesla before I purchased Advanced Autopilot. (Not available yet, but will be in the future with a software update.)

Again, just trying to clear up any confusion. Tesla promised FSD for 3 months...not FSD Beta.

Tesla is delivering what has been promised: 3 free months of FSD. NOT, 3 months of FSD Beta. FSD includes all the features of Advanced Autopilot, plus traffic stop control. This is available now. So if your car does not have advanced autopilot, you'll get that, plus FSD for three months.

Now, HW4 cars do not yet support park assist, summon, smart summon. This was highlighted to me by Tesla before I purchased Advanced Autopilot. (Not available yet, but will be in the future with a software update.)

Again, just trying to clear up any confusion. Tesla promised FSD for 3 months...not FSD Beta.

While your statement is correct (the ‘released’ FSD features are smart summon and stopping at traffic lights), I would imagine the vast majority of new Tesla owners would understandably assume that they are receiving the FSD software that has been all over YouTube for the last few years. You know, the FSD version that actually attempts to fully self drive. Not the version that is just TACC/autosteer and stops at red lights…..

Reactions: CDrury
While your statement is correct (the ‘released’ FSD features are smart summon and stopping at traffic lights), I would imagine the vast majority of new Tesla owners would understandably assume that they are receiving the FSD software that has been all over YouTube for the last few years. You know, the FSD version that actually attempts to fully self drive. Not the version that is just TACC/autosteer and stops at red lights…..
I agree. It's unfortunate that Tesla does not more clearly differentiate between "FSD Beta" and "Drive on City Streets" (which is essentially what people are looking to test known as "FSD Beta."

Still, if you have not already purchased "Advanced Autopilot", the 3 month free trial does give you "navigate on autopilot", which is a large chunk of functionality in and of itself.

Reactions: dckiwi
I have the FSD trial, but will never use it. I even turn off EAP except in the thickest of thick 405/10 traffic or wide open roads. LA drivers r crazy.

I shall live vicariously through YouTube FSD content for the time being.

I have the FSD trial, but will never use it. I even turn off EAP except in the thickest of thick 405/10 traffic or wide open roads. LA drivers r crazy.

I shall live vicariously through YouTube FSD content for the time being.
Don't tell that to the Elon butt kisser, fanboy Whole Mars Catalog on Twitter because he will tell you he can drive anywhere in LA or the US for hours with ZERO intervention.

How can Tesla be delivering on items that aren't yet compatible with current hardware? You are not receiving full FSD. False advertising and they were aware of it.

How can Tesla be delivering on items that aren't yet compatible with current hardware? You are not receiving full FSD. False advertising and they were aware of it.
I am receiving FSD. We have been through this many times.

FSD = "Everything included with Enhanced Autopilot, plus traffic light and stop sign control."

That is exactly what I've been getting since I took delivery.

Reactions: whsbuss
I am receiving FSD. We have been through this many times.

FSD = "Everything included with Enhanced Autopilot, plus traffic light and stop sign control."

That is exactly what I've been getting since I took delivery.
Summon, Auto park and Smart Summon are not included in my app or my car but are a part of EAP. All of these work in your car with HW4? When I asked support they said it was a camera issue but yet I have no alerts.

Summon, Auto park and Smart Summon are not included in my app or my car but are a part of EAP. All of these work in your car with HW4? When I asked support they said it was a camera issue but yet I have no alerts.
No...they do not work with my HW4 Car. (Not available on the app or in the car). When i purchased EAP as part of my car purchase, the lack of those features was explicitly highlighted as "not yet available" and I had to acknowledge it before purchasing.

Navigate on Autopilot (also part of EAP) is available on my HW4 car.