Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does your DS first contact you with REAL progress info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I think the issue is that they are completely un-empowered. It would seem that the DSs are not given access to almost any information, or at a minimum they are told to disclose very little. I suspect that the rare DS you hear about that seems to be giving more information than most is doing so against Tesla's wishes.

^^^^^
Reasonable post.....given Tesla’s young customer facing workforce it is incumbent upon their management team to provide thorough training.

They do seem to select cheerful people but clearly haven’t trained them sufficiently yet.

Reactions: msnow
So then what is the quirk with their corporate culture that embodies the complete indifference to the customers they should most covet? Is all forgotten when you drive your car after one week of flawless function or is there lasting anger by customers for the manner in which you are/were "handled"???

As quirks go, I don't think it's unusual. In my opinion and experience, mediocre organizations usually find a way to do one thing well. Good organizations can do two. Very rarely can great organizations exceed that. In Tesla's case, it's not making customer experience a core focus because it has other fish to fry. It feels like short term thinking, but, then again, the only way you get to the long term is by living through the short term. This is a company that has needed to raise $500m a quarter just to stay afloat, and will need to continue to raise that kind of capital for the foreseeable future. Priority 1 has to be get new products announced and priority 2 - more like priority 1.1 - is scaling up production. 5,000 - 10,000 current customers are grumpy with how proactive their pre-delivery experience is? Compared to the 325,000++ model 3 reservations and getting the gigafactory up to speed that's small potatoes.

Doesn't mean I'm happy about it of course. I'm buying a car that costs more than a house in large parts of this country and is by 2x the most expensive car I've ever driven and I'm getting worse communication and service than I did on the last Kickstarter campaign I backed? Doesn't feel good. But if I were a TSLA investor I'd probably be happier with that than a slower gigafactory development but expensive hand-holding of existing customers.

Reactions: vandacca and ChrisJ
As quirks go, I don't think it's unusual. In my opinion and experience, mediocre organizations usually find a way to do one thing well. Good organizations can do two. Very rarely can great organizations exceed that. In Tesla's case, it's not making customer experience a core focus because it has other fish to fry. It feels like short term thinking, but, then again, the only way you get to the long term is by living through the short term. This is a company that has needed to raise $500m a quarter just to stay afloat, and will need to continue to raise that kind of capital for the foreseeable future. Priority 1 has to be get new products announced and priority 2 - more like priority 1.1 - is scaling up production. 5,000 - 10,000 current customers are grumpy with how proactive their pre-delivery experience is? Compared to the 325,000++ model 3 reservations and getting the gigafactory up to speed that's small potatoes.

Doesn't mean I'm happy about it of course. I'm buying a car that costs more than a house in large parts of this country and is by 2x the most expensive car I've ever driven and I'm getting worse communication and service than I did on the last Kickstarter campaign I backed? Doesn't feel good. But if I were a TSLA investor I'd probably be happier with that than a slower gigafactory development but expensive hand-holding of existing customers.

One thing you're forgetting is that for years Tesla has been known for their above and beyond customer service. "Going the extra mile" has been a mantra for them and was pointed out in both the good and bad Consumer Reports reviews the last three years. It's why many of us made the decision to buy. I'm hoping this is just a temporary situation because word spreads fast.

Went to the Sunday social event today. The regional manager and I had a long conversation where he told me that corporate Tesla is well aware of the communication gaps and is actively trying to squelch them but also has its hands full trying to push out quality model x's. While it sounds pretty good, this forum does seem to be a microcosm of discontented owners commiserating with each other and perhaps not truly representative of the larger tesla owners group. I dunno as I still don't have my X, so can't really bitch too loudly until miscommunications start after vin assignment

• Informative
Reactions: umeshunni
My daughter is buying an X, to deliver at Fremont. I communicate with the DS. I have seen that the DS got very wary in her replies, probably because she *could not* give me any updates. The car was in inspection. I told her I read TMC forum and understood completely, and she was grateful. I don't bug her.

Second experience: My car was found twice sitting in the garage, charger plugged in and charging, with the A/C was running full blast. Car was on, but was set to turn off on exit. I called Tesla Tech, and he gave immediately several ways that could happen. Turns out, one was very probable and we think we have resolved the issue.

I have never been treated in any way other than with helpful, respectful information. In 3 1/2 years of owning a Tesla I have always had excellent service and been treated with respect.

I have never tried contacting my DS. I figured I would hear from him when he had something to tell me about the progress of my Model X order. I doubt anything I say or ask is going to make any difference in my delivery date. I expect when my X is ready, I'll get a call as they will want me to pay and pick it up asap. That said, I was pleased to receive the following email from my DS today:

"Great news! Your Model X has been queued for production!

ESTIMATING YOUR DELIVERY WINDOW

Your Model X has been sequenced to begin production the week of 5/16/16. Once we get closer to production, I will contact you to follow up on any action items that need to be completed.

Please let me know if you have any scheduling restrictions, a planned trip, and/or extended times of unavailability in the coming months – June/July.

PLEASE NOTE: It is normal for production timing to shift as we revise schedules and source parts to create your custom build your vehicle."

I appreciate my DS reaching out to let me know production is about to begin. His email seems to suggest a current estimate of somewhere between 3-10 weeks from start of production to delivery.

My VIN is 53**, 90D, 6 seat, premium.

I have never been treated in any way other than with helpful, respectful information. In 3 1/2 years of owning a Tesla I have always had excellent service and been treated with respect.

I think what Tesla is missing, and other top-shelf car manufacturers understand, is that people are "Customers" even before they take actual delivery. Once you commit to ordering a vehicle, you are a "Customer". There seems to be many good reports of post delivery customer satisfaction. However, the pre delivery landscape seems to be pretty bleak...

Reactions: WilliamZ