Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is MYLR expected to switch to model year 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla does not follow traditional model year designation in the cars but as a buyer in the purchase pipeline, I am curious to know when is Tesla MYLR going to switch to model year 2023. The VIN no has a digit for the model year. Has that already switched on recently delivered cars or is that expected to happen over coming weeks?

The VIN no has a digit for the model year.

It does, actually:

(relevant text from the above link)

Digit 10 is a year digit e.g. L is the letter for the year 2020. Until 2019 this reflect the year the car was built, from the end of 2019 it reflected a model year for which production typically started in late November of the previous year, e.g. a car with the letter L (2020) may have been made as early as November 2019.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 5.36.54 PM.png

I have no idea on model Ys as I am not following it super closely, but I am fairly sure that people in the model 3 subforum are reporting getting 2023 vins right now. If model Ys havent switched yet, I would imagine its soon. There are likely some other threads here talking about it.

From prior years, if my memory is correct: Probably started production already. Finish production by end of month. People close to factory get them first. People far from factory have to wait a month+. Still some prior year models being delivered in January.

The above answers are technically correct, but as you say, Tesla doesn't follow model year designations and the 'model year' on a Tesla is basically meaningless since they are continually changing the specs. Why do you want/need to know?

The above answers are technically correct, but as you say, Tesla doesn't follow model year designations and the 'model year' on a Tesla is basically meaningless since they are continually changing the specs. Why do you want/need to know?
Yes, understood. My question is just academic. I am genuinely curious if the cars being delivered today are model year 2022 or 2023.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I suppose if nothing else you need to know what to tell your insurance company when they ask, although they get the VIN #, too, so it’s not clear why they need to even ask you the year.

Tesla’s system is a bit frustrating as a buyer because you don’t necessarily know what your car will have when it’s delivered. Usually they add things but they’ve been known to remove features as well.

Yes, understood. My question is just academic. I am genuinely curious if the cars being delivered today are model year 2022 or 2023.
To date, I have not seen anyone report a MYLR with 2023 VIN. in N. America (only in Europe). However, yesterday people started getting MYP with 2023 VINs. M3 have been 2023 since ~Oct 4th. I'm sure MYLR is just days away or already happening and yet to be reported on here.
That said, my Friday VIN was still 2022 as were many others this weekend.