Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When scheduled charging keeps you from charging...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, new here, and this is my first thread post.

We got out CPO- MS85 about 4 weeks ago, and my wife loves it, as it is her daily commuter to help make her 50-mile one-way trek more bearable (HOV plate).

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I was goingge in the car from a spring training game and the touchscreen was in this perpetual reboot cycle. I was able to drive the car home and found an article on how to do a hard reboot on the computer; that worked and all was well. Till Sunday night. When the screen actually just went black. Over about an hour I tried rebooting over 2 dozen times. Only about 3 of those resulted in the touchscreen coming on, but going right into the perpetual reboot again. It still isn't working, and I've scheduled service next Monday.

This brings me to today's awesomeness. At home the car is scheduled to charge at 8 PM. My wife woke up this morning and realized she forgot to plug in last night in the garage ‍♂️. I walked out and plugged it in, but I'm assuming because it's a new day, the car said "charge scheduled"... And I can't overtime that because the MCU won't boot up.

So I decide to bring it down to the local supercharger. I get down here, plug it in... "Charge scheduled". I'm guessing because the MCU isn't in, the car doesn't KNOW it's not at home, so it won't charge. I try the hard reboot a few times and nothing. I get out of the car, unplug, get back in, and finally the MCU goes back into it's reboot cycle! So I get out, plug in, and finally it realizes "hey, I'm not at home, I can charge now!" So it's finally charging. Kind of. Every time the MCU gets to the shut off part of the reboot, it stops charging momentarily, so it's not super fast... But it IS charging.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else runs into this. Also hoping Tesla can diagnose and replace the MCU next week without much hassle. We love the car, but only 3 weeks in and having this issue with the MCU twice is frustrating :/

Yeah, it's a bit bizarre. Fortunately (?), the MCU has been in a perpetual reboot cycle since yesterday, and I'm assuming that's the only thing allowing it to charge at all, in the few moments it's "on" but not really on. Probably horrible for the battery, but when I posted yesterday at the supercharger, it probably went through around 30-40 boot cycles, and interrupted charging every time. But I didn't really have another option for charging :/ Last night we actually got it plugged in at the house for it to charge on schedule, but because of the MCU issue, seemingly at least, it only charged from about 120 miles to 190 miles. Normal is 232. I'm guessing it actually stopped after midnight whenever it rebooted, and was like "oh, new day, gotta wait till 8 PM". I say that because when I looked at the instrument cluster this morning it has the "charging scheduled" note.
Anyway, fun times, but thought I'd post an update. We have a service center appt on Monday afternoon. My wife was planning on calling today to see if she can get it in sooner, but I told her from what I've read, it's not likely to happen; but to try anyway.

Update: my wife called the Tempe SC today, and after 2 tries was abou to get to talk to someone. They told her "we don't have any available appointments until Monday, when yours is scheduled." So my wife proceeded to tell her she now can no longer effectively charge the car. The lady asked a few more questions and said "bring it in now."
So she took it in, they checked it and are replacing the MCU with a brand new one (I asked if it was new or refurb), with LTE (sweet, free upgrade). They initially said they didn't know if they had a loaner vehicle, but came up with one for her.
All in all, I'm actually really happy about how Tesla has handled this, thus far.

Update: my wife called the Tempe SC today, and after 2 tries was abou to get to talk to someone. They told her "we don't have any available appointments until Monday, when yours is scheduled." So my wife proceeded to tell her she now can no longer effectively charge the car. The lady asked a few more questions and said "bring it in now."
So she took it in, they checked it and are replacing the MCU with a brand new one (I asked if it was new or refurb), with LTE (sweet, free upgrade). They initially said they didn't know if they had a loaner vehicle, but came up with one for her.
All in all, I'm actually really happy about how Tesla has handled this, thus far.

Glad to see that! Thanks for the update :cool:

Reactions: flfoxjr