Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Tesla Roadside Assistance ends for your vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Roadside Assistance provides one unique benefit over AAA. They carry a spare tire that is designed for your car so that if you have a flat that can’t be repaired on the spot you can borrow their spare to get back on the road and then return it once you fix your tire.

This service ends after 4 years or 50,000 miles. You can switch to AAA and they will tow your car, but you will have to find another solution for a spare tire. The local stores in my area do not typically carry stock tires that fit a Model 3. If I’m on the road it may be difficult if not impossible to find a local tire store that has the right tire in stock.

How are you planning to deal with this after roadside assistance ends on your car? What is your plan if you have a flat tire near your home, and what is your plan if you are doing long distance driving and get a flat?

Wow, if I have a jacked up SUV , tires may be an issue as well. Tire folks are really good
at finding tires. It kind of there job. They also fix flats. Not sure what the question is to a
normal car?

I’m not sure what you mean by a “normal car”, but I’m referring to any car that does not have a spare tire as part of its standard inventory. My Model 3 is the first car I’ve owned that did not include a spare tire that sits under the trunk. If you get a flat tire at 10pm you are not going to find a tire store open. So there needs to be a plan to get back on the road.

I’m not sure what you mean by a “normal car”, but I’m referring to any car that does not have a spare tire as part of its standard inventory. My Model 3 is the first car I’ve owned that did not include a spare tire that sits under the trunk. If you get a flat tire at 10pm you are not going to find a tire store open. So there needs to be a plan to get back on the road.

Very few cars come with spares now.

I bought a tire repair kit that I carry in my car so I can at least get off the side of the road to a tire shop/hotel and deal with the situation. I still have the coverage from Tesla for 2.5 years and will probably get AAA when I need it (you can sign up for a year starting when you need it rather than pay for it ongoing).

Even Costco executive members/ameriprise/connect have roadside. If I were that worried about a blow out unfixable tire, and your car is a necessity, I would consider picking up a cheap tire/wheel combo off Craigslist fb marketplace and leave it in the garage, so when you do your roadside asist tow, go to your house?

Even Costco executive members/ameriprise/connect have roadside. If I were that worried about a blow out unfixable tire, and your car is a necessity, I would consider picking up a cheap tire/wheel combo off Craigslist fb marketplace and leave it in the garage, so when you do your roadside asist tow, go to your house?

That is what I am doing. I have two spare tires ready to go in my garage. But if I’m 50 miles from my house that doesn’t quite solve the entire problem. I still have to get home to get to my spare tire.

I carry a spare in my trunk. I strapped up one end of the spare so it doesn't block the lower compartment. I won't drive a car without a spare. If you have one, blowing a tire is relatively trivial in terms of getting on your way. If you don't, you could end up having to wait for a long period. Not acceptable. I disagree with the trend of not including spares in cars as many manufacturers are doing now. In the last three cars I have owned, I have blown a tire (usually a nail or screw) at least once. Each time, I was on my way in 10 minutes,

I love what @mkrueger posted about the modern spare, and will most likely be purchasing one for my 3. The one thing I haven't seen anyone in this talk about are run flats. I'm assuming this isn't a weight issue as my previous car, a 2013 BMW 335xi, had winter run flats I will be putting on my 3 this winter season. (It's important to note that the bmw is actually about 20lbs heavier than the model 3.)

Is there any reason you wouldn't be able to get run flats and just not worry about it? I don't see why there should be any issue.

I had a flat last Friday, and another one Monday. Worn out OEM at 30k. Tow truck thru Tesla allows 50 mile tow. Needless to say I ordered a Modern Spare, also had the tire shop put on some cheap-o tires to get me down the road while waiting a few days for Michelins to come in...now I’ll have 4 spare tires in case of a catastrophic failure!

I love what @mkrueger posted about the modern spare, and will most likely be purchasing one for my 3. The one thing I haven't seen anyone in this talk about are run flats. I'm assuming this isn't a weight issue as my previous car, a 2013 BMW 335xi, had winter run flats I will be putting on my 3 this winter season. (It's important to note that the bmw is actually about 20lbs heavier than the model 3.)

Is there any reason you wouldn't be able to get run flats and just not worry about it? I don't see why there should be any issue.
We had run flats on our 2005 Mini. We didn’t like the harsh ride or the noise & especially the tendency for reduced tire mileage but kept replacing them because there was no viable alternative. The M3 has noise reduction built into the OEM tires which seems to help. Tesla’s service trucks are a good backup in most areas at least until the warranty expires. Modern tires are more reliable. I’m mainly worried about road hazards. For minor problems we have a inflator & a tire repair kit. As we age we are less & less enthusiastic about changing tires. When we ordered the M3 we avoided lower profile rims & tires in part because of potholes & tire damage possibility. One last note about roadside tire changes. Most cars lug nuts are torqued to sixty pounds. Tesla’s are supposed to be torqued to 125 pounds. Getting those off while by the side of the road can be much harder.

Last edited:
When our X blew a tire, AAA told us they "might" be able to get a truck out to us "tomorrow." A lot of good that does when you're 40 miles from the nearest town in 116-degree temperatures in the middle of the Arizona desert. Tesla got us a truck within 2 hours.