Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to remove hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My order for a MSM Model Y 7 seater was assigned a VIN which I ultimately turned down and placed the order on a 7 day hold. The hold expires on Nov 19, 2022.

Would there be more optimal day/time to release the hold to try and avoid getting assigned a car that was rejected by someone else?

I understand lots of vehicles are being turned down because of the chance at stretching an order out until Jan. 1. Ultimately I will be happy as long as the car comes in great condition, but if there is a chance they are switching over to the new cameras or even Matrix headlights, hanging on as long and possible seems ideal. (I can hope!)

I don't think it's something that any of us can really figure out. It's random, well not random as I'm sure Tesla have some algo behind it, but you know what I mean.

It's not until you get the the updated VIN and even then, the actual car to figure out what you actually get. It might have all that you want but with some crazy chips and panel gaps, then you have to bring it in to the shop and wait some more.

My order for a MSM Model Y 7 seater was assigned a VIN which I ultimately turned down and placed the order on a 7 day hold. The hold expires on Nov 19, 2022.

Would there be more optimal day/time to release the hold to try and avoid getting assigned a car that was rejected by someone else?

I understand lots of vehicles are being turned down because of the chance at stretching an order out until Jan. 1. Ultimately I will be happy as long as the car comes in great condition, but if there is a chance they are switching over to the new cameras or even Matrix headlights, hanging on as long and possible seems ideal. (I can hope!)
Since you are on hold right now - does it give you an option to edit the build of the car?

Since you are on hold right now - does it give you an option to edit the build of the car?
When I log into the app my only option is "Go to account." This button opens up the website. From here there is a large button saying "remove hold."

However, towards the upper right there is a drop-down for "my car" and from there I can "Edit design." It appears that from there you can make changes and save them but I can't guarantee it would actually go through.

even worse, edits to the order may result in a price change.
assuming you ordered before some of the general price increases, you may expose yourself to those being imposed.

also, upon inspection of the vehicle, you can choose to reject it - but only for some major issue, not something remediated by a Service Center.

When I log into the app my only option is "Go to account." This button opens up the website. From here there is a large button saying "remove hold."

However, towards the upper right there is a drop-down for "my car" and from there I can "Edit design." It appears that from there you can make changes and save them but I can't guarantee it would actually go through.
This is good to know! Thanks
I think it is price protected if we had old order prices.

What did the Tesla app say when your hold was removed? Did it say pending cancellation or something else?

I had a TESLA Model Y on hold until Monday, when TESLA sent me a message that they would reduce my Y price $3,750 if I took delivery before the end of the year. I took the hold off on Tuesday, 12/13. I had confirmation of my delivery and VIN before the end of the day, and I am picking up my Y, at the reduced cost, on Friday, 12/15. TESLA wants to deliver as many cars as it can before the 12/31/22 quarter ends. Also, many on hold are holding back to take advantage of the tax credit, if they are eligible, starting 1/1/23. This will be my 4th TESLA. An S, 2 3s, and now a Y. Going to sell a 3. Picking up the Y at Lynwood, WA delivery center. 2023 Model Y, Fremont build.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88