Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When VIN is assigned how long before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just from watching the threads, a few factors stand out:
- Delivery can be fast if your car was previously matched to another customer (e.g. they rejected it, or backed out)
- Delivery can take weeks if your car is new, how long transportation is between the factory and your location
- Delivery can be depend on how backed up your service center is on delivery slots
- [speculative] Delivery can move a bit faster, depending on your relationship with the assigned SA

But as someone else mentioned earlier, variance is very high, and I would not use even VIN assignment as a sign to sell your existing car. Too many people have had their VINs unassigned/pulled, with no explanation.

Update my delivery window is now December 18-25… will see
Is there anyone who got their 2022 Model Y yet? I was assigned a VIN on December 9th, 2021 and my tentative delivery date was December 16-22, then it moved few times and now it’s says 12/24-12/30. I’ve just spoke with Tesla rep. and they said the VIN # hat I had - had it’s configuration changes therefore next week I’ll get a new VIN # and my Tesla Y, however I don’t believe anything they say now…. Because every Tesla rep tells me different things… 😫

Is there anyone who got their 2022 Model Y yet? I was assigned a VIN on December 9th, 2021 and my tentative delivery date was December 16-22, then it moved few times and now it’s says 12/24-12/30. I’ve just spoke with Tesla rep. and they said the VIN # hat I had - had it’s configuration changes therefore next week I’ll get a new VIN # and my Tesla Y, however I don’t believe anything they say now…. Because every Tesla rep tells me different things… 😫
Perhaps ask in a Model Y forum? I think there are quite a few waiting room threads running.

When Tesla builds the car, the vin is assigned and put physically in several places on the car when produced. There is no way to assign the vin physically to a car at the border. It is also assigned to an order to be shipped to a customer at a destination. Perhaps there is a delay is posting to an account online until the car clears customs, but the vin was assigned to that order before customs.
Just a minor semantic error: The customer is "informed " of the VIN ( which was assigned to the vehicle during the build).