Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will auto journalists have hands on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question, since the first 400,000 are spoken for. :D
Being a public company, I bet they will do something to keep the news/hype going and make one available for examination/test drives/reviews. Now when that will be, is a good idea. It might be some owner will have/will want to volunteer their car for this, as we've seen when production is 'committed'.

They have a lot of cards up their sleeve, but given that they have made intentions clear to build more gigafactories, I think they will need to come to the capital markets for more funding. If I were in their shoes, it would coincide with model 3 production ramping at any cost, positive reviews from journalists, semi truck unveiling, an update on preorders, and so on. They need to pull out all the stops to ensure that the markets are willing to finance their ambitions. I wouldn't be surprised if the next round in a multiple of what they've done previously - of course, this thread was not about that, but my simple answer is that it's in Tesla's interest to draw in attention.

Reactions: electracity
Remember that when they was ramping up the Model S, Elon did lend out his own personal Model S to journalists to review*. The same may happen this time.

*) And we later found out that Tesla was using that same car as a test bed for the "P+" option that was introduced some month later...

When they reveled Model X they had the journalists in the car the day of the reveal, the reveal being in the evening. That way the journalists' stories, posted the night of the reveal and the next day, built on the momentum of the livestreamed event.

When they reveled Model X they had the journalists in the car the day of the reveal, the reveal being in the evening. That way the journalists' stories, posted the night of the reveal and the next day, built on the momentum of the livestreamed event.
I agree, that is the likely scenario for Model 3 reviews. I expect that the day of the final reveal Tesla will provide selected journalists have test drives if they agree to embargo their story until the end of the reveal event.

I don't always agree with what Fred Lambert of Electrek writes, but I hope he gets early access to a Model 3 as I think he is one of the more reasonable and balanced EV journalists.

Consumer Reports buys it's cars for testing. Wonder if they have a pre-order?

I'm sure they do, but they are East coast primarily so they may be waiting a bit.

They might have an employee in CA order and ship or drive the car to the east coast to test.

How Consumer Reports Tests Cars

the Consumer Reports Auto Test Center sprawls across 327 acres in rural Connecticut

I previously quoted some 3rd party articles for those who believe that it's always good to get 3rd party opinions.
When will auto journalists have hands on Model 3?
Yes, I believe it's always good to get 3rd party opinions on a product when making a purchasing decision. That does not mean I believe all 3rd party opinions should be taken as gospel. Not that I find either of the links you posted to be terribly egregious.