Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Metallic Silver be available again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any inside scoop as to when metallic silver will be available again? I am holding off to order my P3D until it is. It is the most popular color for luxury cars so I have to image Tesla will bring it back. Especially if they are trying to sell as many cars as they can.

Sigh. Don't remind me. That was my first color choice, but it was canceled shortly before I was in a position to place my order. As mentioned earlier, don't count on it coming back (not saying it won't, but you might be waiting forever). If you really want the car, either go with your Plan B color choice or buy the "free" color and have your car wrapped in your desired color.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Does anyone have any inside scoop as to when metallic silver will be available again? I am holding off to order my P3D until it is. It is the most popular color for luxury cars so I have to image Tesla will bring it back. Especially if they are trying to sell as many cars as they can.

No telling so pick another color. Or get the white and wrap it in any color you want for about the same cost of the paint upgrade.

I have the INSIDE SCOOP and it is exactly 105.785 Elon time units. Now keep this just between us since I would hate for someone to blab it on that internet thing.:D

AND Silver is not the most popular (though I like better than Midnight). In fact it is 6th with the 5 above it the 5 colors Tesla offers (if you add black & metallic).

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 3.21.29 PM.png

Last edited:

My "Met Silver" Model S 90D lease comes due next month. After struggling for months to find a replacement "Raven" S, I find the 2019 color choices and absence of options totally uninspiring. Had Tesla offered a 2019 met silver color option i would not be writing this reply.

My current car is beautiful, and for the price it should be. I also drove a long range 2019 Raven S, and although quicker (basically Telsa software tweaks), the -1k miles Raven demo with its all glass roof produced squeaks and rattles in hard cornering, and the front end suspension upgrade benefits were less than advertised (in my opinion and 3 years comparative driving experience with my current S).

All together, I'm paying off the lease to keep my 2016 S90D, it's fully debugged, it fits my needs perfectly, and it's silver!

Tesla and WInd Turbines -2.jpg

Reactions: LoL Rick

The silver was my top color choice. Sadly I would not count on it coming back.
Maybe it will, but they tried it already and it did not sell as well as the other colors.

Silver is not the most popular (though I like better than Midnight). In fact it is 6th with the 5 above it the 5 colors Tesla offers (if you add black & metallic).

View attachment 451424

This site claims that silver is the most popular choice, at 23% of new cars, with white and black being second and third, at 15% and 12%, respectively.

That said, there are quite a few variables here. The infographic you cited seems to be from 2017, whereas the article I cited is dated 2019. I doubt if color preferences would have changed so radically in two years, but they might have. There may also be differences based on geography (it's unclear on cursory examination if these analysis are worldwide, USA, Europe, or what) and vehicle type (yours breaks them down into vehicle classes, whereas mine doesn't). Each analysis may have different ways of classifying colors, too, which could make a big difference -- yours might call some colors "gray," for instance, whereas mine might put some of those in the "silver" category.

Among Model 3 owners, things look different still. TeslaFi has a tracker. I cited the figures from TeslaFi as of three days ago here. In brief, things are skewed for Model 3 in a way that tracks color cost, with black being most popular and red being least popular among current options. (Silver is below red because it's been unavailable for a while.) I expect white will rise in popularity over the next few months, since it's now the no-cost option.

Just wrap it, better to protect the paint anyway :)

Just wrap it, better to protect the paint anyway :)
Maybe. Not everyone has an extra 10%+ to spend. Colored vinyl wrap is not really much protection. And PPF is clear or satin. Plus, good to have a color you like underneath even if you do wrap. And you’d better plan to keep the car a while.

I’m a wrapper, but it’s not right for everyone. My P3 is silver, wrapped with xpel Stealth with matching satin silver chrome delete.